Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Merchant Lords - Medieval capitalism simulator!  (Read 3109 times)

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
Merchant Lords - Medieval capitalism simulator!
« on: July 06, 2015, 03:24:00 pm »

Hey everyone, I haven't been too active on the forums recently, I hardly doubt most of you even remember me but that's beside the point! I'm currently starting development on a little game called Merchant Lords. The basic premise is that you're pitted against 5 other merchants in medieval times, starting out small and eking out a living by sending out caravans between villages and setting up new industries that will compete against the other merchants.

The end game goal is to make the other merchants bankrupt, you can do this as honestly or as dishonestly as you want. You can purchase mercenary companies to raid the other merchants caravans and steal their goods or manipulate the politics within the village to declare war on the other town and conquer it, and hey, while you're at it why not invest heavily in weapons manufacturing? Armies need weapons and why not make massive profits off of it as well? Of course you can always go the honest way and just try and out-compete them... Bah, that isn't as fun.

I'm not very good with writing about the game so I apologize if it isn't as clear as it should be or something. There's a reason why I'm a programmer and not a writer. :P

Feature List:
- Be a merchant in medieval times!
- Purchase goods and a caravan, hire some guards and a driver and send it to the other towns! Pro-tip: Hire plenty of guards, there's bound to be bandits on the road!
- Set up stalls in town, buy a stall and hire someone to man it! You can sell your wares to the towns-folk, be wary though because thief's might end up stealing your goods!
- Start new industries. Is the village growing too quickly and desperately needs food? Build a farm nearby and supply the village with jobs and the much needed food! (At higher prices of course.)
- Nefarious Actions, the other merchant have a monopoly on a certain resource? Why not sabotage that iron mine that he is getting his iron from, he can't exactly make swords without it!
- Dynamic Village Growth, villages will grow and require more resources to sustain themselves, entire villages can die off from plague and famine.
- Village Politics, villages will have elections for new leaders, you can use this to your advantage and bribe politicians.
- Warring Mechanic, villages will go to war against one another, kingdoms will form and fall apart. You'll have to get used to the ever-changing landscape of the game.

The feature list is definitely incomplete right now, there will be lots of changes to it, mostly additions.

I'm currently looking at finishing the game and putting it on greenlight in 6-8 months. I am working full-time on the game 6-8 hours a day, 5-7 days a week. I will be developing the game closely with you guys and your suggestions and criticisms will be valuable.

I'm planning on getting a working alpha done in 2-3 months which will be released to you guys to test. We'll have a weekly play-test of the games multiplayer functionality, there will be plenty of bugs to find and work out.

If all goes according to plan and in 6-8 months the game is released on steam, I will give away keys to all the alpha-beta testers as well as have a give-away as thanks to you guys for helping me out. I'm looking forward to working on the game and hear what you guys have to say about it! Feel free to ask questions and post suggestions, I have an easier time posting responses than writing something like this. :P

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Lords - Medieval capitalism simulator!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 03:57:47 pm »

Wow. I'd love to help you do some testing. For some reason, this sort of stuff appeals to me. Used to quite enjoy Merchant Prince, Lords of the Realm and still muck around with a bit of this sort of stuff in Battlemaster (or will, if I ever get re-promoted).

My current box is pretty damn old (Pentium 4 laptop, 1 gig ram, XP sp3), because my last one just died. If this'll run it, I'll be happy to help. I'll be getting a new box in a couple of months anyway. Think of it as "wow, a typewriter" testing :)

If not, I'll chuck a few suggestions at you anyway.

What sort of dev environment are you using? I think my little backup box just manages to load Unity games.
It's a game. Have fun.

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 04:05:52 pm »

Wow. I'd love to help you do some testing. For some reason, this sort of stuff appeals to me. Used to quite enjoy Merchant Prince, Lords of the Realm and still muck around with a bit of this sort of stuff in Battlemaster (or will, if I ever get re-promoted).

My current box is pretty damn old (Pentium 4 laptop, 1 gig ram, XP sp3), because my last one just died. If this'll run it, I'll be happy to help. I'll be getting a new box in a couple of months anyway. Think of it as "wow, a typewriter" testing :)

If not, I'll chuck a few suggestions at you anyway.

What sort of dev environment are you using? I think my little backup box just manages to load Unity games.

It will be running on Unity, your current computer should be able to run it especially before I do some graphical upgrades to it.

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 04:20:13 pm »

This sounds like what I wanted the guild to be. Watching this thread, and sending mental support.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 04:22:29 pm »

Sounds interesting. Always been a fan of games with an economy and ways to influence. I do have a minor suggestion: Don't have the game require you to war :P

Because being forced to hire mercs instead of sitting on the sidelines and supplying both sides of a conflict, merchant house or town wise, should totally be a thing. Might be planned anyways, but ya know. Can't hurt to say it :P

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 04:54:53 pm »

This sounds like what I wanted the guild to be. Watching this thread, and sending mental support.

Thanks! That's very much appreciated.

Sounds interesting. Always been a fan of games with an economy and ways to influence. I do have a minor suggestion: Don't have the game require you to war :P

Because being forced to hire mercs instead of sitting on the sidelines and supplying both sides of a conflict, merchant house or town wise, should totally be a thing. Might be planned anyways, but ya know. Can't hurt to say it :P

The game won't require you to declare war or anything, its just another way to manipulate the markets in your favor, gotta sell them swords!

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 05:47:19 pm »

Thanks! That's very much appreciated.

The game won't require you to declare war or anything, its just another way to manipulate the markets in your favor, gotta sell them swords!

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 08:48:23 pm »

Sounds great, I'll be keeping my eye on this!

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 08:52:56 pm »

This sounds interesting. I hope this will turn out like the guild 2 series should have been.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 08:53:48 pm »

Very interested, I always prefer playing trading sims.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

gomez

• Bay Watcher
  • [Hysterical and Useless]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 09:12:04 pm »

I second this.

So what language are you using C# or C++?
"They accused us of suppressing freedom of expression. This was a lie and we could not let them publish it."
- Nelba Blandon (as Director of Censorship, Nicaragua)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 09:46:05 pm »

Damn it, took the words right out of my mouth...

Damn I just know I will play this...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 09:49:04 pm »

This sounds interesting. I hope this will turn out like the guild 2 series should have been.

There is definitely some Guild 2 inspiration there! I played the game a lot when I was younger and didn't realize how poorly it aged until recently.

So what language are you using C# or C++?

C#!

I haven't learned much of C++ but I'd rather stick with C# than learn a whole new language.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 11:57:40 am »

Watching these posts.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 12:09:23 pm »

Watching, would be happy to help test/brainstorm/contribute writing to/whatever else.
Pages: [1] 2