Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Pawns Reboot  (Read 4926 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pawns Reboot
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2015, 07:57:22 pm »

Murder was not yet born in this world, and Jack little more than an unknown concept.  There had been killings, certainly, even amongst men, but rarely more than the result of too heated challenges over food and mates.  True, pre-meditated, cold-hearted murder was unknown to this world.

So it was that Jack wore no face when he visited Byril in her dreams, instead no more than a vague malevolent presence and a whispering in Byril's own thoughts.

Always they have ignored me, haven't they?  Put me down, belittled me.  Handsome Verrick is beloved of Asril, the bitch.  But were I to challenge her, she would easily best me - and how humiliated I would be before the rest of the tribe.

What if she was gone?  Verrick would notice me then, would love me then.

I should kill her.

No, no I won't.

Won't... or can't?

I don't know.

You have everything to gain, Byril.  Kill her.

But if I am found out -

Then what?  You will be banished?  Driven away?  They despise you anyway, you live alone regardless.  You have nothing worse losing to lose.  Kill her.

Who are you?

I am Murder - that which you seek.  To kill her, to end the problem in your way.  All you need is the power.

And you can give me that?

Of course.  All you need do is find the will within yourself to kill - and I will provide you with a tool to make it so.  Observe.

The dream showed an exposed rock-face on the side of a hill - thick orange streaks spanned the side in layers.

Take one of the orange rocks, and one of these harder rocks here - then chip away at it until you have this.

A lump of the rock appeared, then flaked away to reveal an arm-length, slender shape - still rough but with a clear flattish blade and edge.

A knife?  But that rock, it will not hold an edge.  I would better use the flint stone.

Only trust me.  I shall transform that tool into the perfect knife with which to kill.  All you need do is carve the shape, and then plunge it into fire.

What do you ask of me in return?

Only to kill your rival - and to whisper a dedication of that murder to me, Murder.  To Jack.

Make Byril a Pawn.  [-5 Power]

Ask Byril to carve a rough long knife out of the local haematite and place it into a fire - easing the conditions to cheapen the cost of what Jack does next.

Given that she does this, transform the iron ore blade into a steel dagger using the ore and carbon from the flame - give it the most finely balanced, light and aesthetically pleasing shape possible.  An exquisite weapon, simple and easy to use.  [-1 Power]

Then shape within it the capacity to store Power - although do not place any within it just yet.  [-3 Power]
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2015, 10:16:13 pm »

And so Anath awakens with the great darkness of a long night finally ending. A pity. But also an opportunity to act.

Looking upon the world, it seems the other gods have already stolen a march upon Anath. But even so, Anath will act.

Reaching out to the mortal known as Nishaan, Anath appears within his dreams, granting Nishaan the knowledge of Anath's godhood, his domain of the transcendent night. And furthermore, granting Nishaan... power. Shadowy power. For with the blessing of the true and great god of the night, Nishaan shall find himself concealed within the darkness, a hidden figure that none may bare the path of! And in return, all Nishaan has to do is worship Anath and spread word of his nature and existence.

Make Nishaan a Pawn - 5 Power
Grant Nishaan Darkvision - 2 Power
Grant Nishaan the power of Shadowmeld - 2 Power (IE, invisibility, or at least very good concealment, in the shadows of the night.)

((If you didn't notice, I already made Nishaan my pawn. I know one person can be a pawn to multiple gods, but I figured I should make sure you know what you're doing and/or give you a chance to change your action before I decide to hold a grudge.

I would hate to come into conflict with anyone this early in the game, and would much rather make allies than opponents. However, trying to steal my pawns and worshippers is one thing that will definitely make you my enemy.))
Gaaaah somehow I completely missed that. Editing.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2015, 12:14:47 am »

Soon after Farinam left Ceilea he noticed another mortal with a great potential. A little boy  living among the lakes. Taking a form of a sparrow made from fire he landed on boy's hand in his dream.

"Hello! I am fire. I am good. I am lonely. Play with me. Pet me. Don't be afraid of me! Your hands will be not hurt

It was one of many his visits to the boy. Using games the God of fire shared secrets of his element explaining how fire is born, how it change things, how dangerous it may be, how to make it go away.

Pawn Pank 2 power
Explain him basic physics of fire
Make his hands fire resistant (1 power boon)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2015, 07:08:00 pm »

((Once the last gods post I will move on. If they don't post sometime tonight or so, I may just have to move on tomorrow anyways.))
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2015, 08:05:09 pm »

-snip-

((Sorry if it sounded like I have a short fuse- I think what really got me going is the reality of our 0- power income and how messy things would get if my lone Pawn turned on me.

That said, I'd be interested in experimenting with a joint pawn or something once we're more set up. (Assuming it's an equal partnership, we're allied, and it was agreed upon beforehand, of course.))

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2015, 09:05:20 pm »

As the star passed, an 8 year old girl named Zilla fell asleep, and  she began dreaming a strange dream, one that little did she know would not only change her future, but the future of all of Vertoil. The dream started as an empty void, with only a small book stand seeming to float in the nothingness, then with a sound like the rustling of a thousand leaves thousands of thousands pieces of paper flew through the abyss, as if carried by an ghostly wind, and where they landed they took on color and changed into the things of the world. As Zilla watched this she thought Is this how Shatan was made?. Then suddenly the book threw itself open and she walked forward, and as she looked into the book and while she could not read, the books word seemed to ship into an image she could understand as an attempt to say this "Hello Zilla I am Vashna, and we have a lot to talk about. But first lets teach you how to read.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2015, 02:59:46 am »

((Once the last gods post I will move on. If they don't post sometime tonight or so, I may just have to move on tomorrow anyways.))
(No, no, it was totally ok. I should have triple checked.)
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2015, 03:36:08 am »

(I think we need OOC thread)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2015, 06:54:57 am »

((Ayup))

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2015, 08:52:12 am »

(Link to OOC is now in the OP. Feel free to discuss anything and ask questions there. If two players want to strategist and PM each other, please CC me in so I know whats what.)
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2015, 12:19:28 pm »

(sorry this took so long, was really busy up till now, and as for the similarities I just quoted my previous character without reading the others, so I do apologize for that, I am fine with just being the god of hunting)

Corvric looked down upon the world, so full of pitiful creatures, weak creatures, and yet, the strong resided there too, and even better, those with the potential to become strong, but the others where moving, and he was late. If he wished to achieve his goal, he would have to act, and soon.

It was in his sleep that the great black wolf appeared, striding through the mists, deep red eyes piercing the gloom, and though he did not know how or why, the mortal knew, that this being demanded respect.

"Greetings, mortal, do not worry, I am not here to kill you, I am here to offer you something great, a gift of mighty power. You have caught my attention, you are a rather, unique individual, and for that, I offer a bargain. I am Corvric, lord of the hunt, and I offer you this deal, if you can find a great beats and offer it to me on the dark of the New Moon, I will grant you great power. I even offer you a gift, something to wet your tongue to the power I can give you, and perhaps aid you in your quest. Complete this task as you see fit, but do please complete it, I don't take kindly to failure."

And so Mot awoke with a start, to the sound of a howling wolf in the distance.

Make Mot my Pawn, 5 power
Grant him enhanced senses in smell, sight and hearing, 2 power
Give him an offer that if he can sacrifice a great enough beast on the new moon, I will grant him a gift based on what was slain, 1 power
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2015, 04:55:10 pm »

This world calls out for life. The soil is rich. The seeds are primed. Now is the time of Fecundus.

Fecundus appears to Dingani in a dream. With the whispers of wind through leaves and the creak of boughs it speaks of the secrets of the aspect of Animation. With this magic he may create new forms of life from the very clay. Dingani is the chosen one that will bring new life to this world. Fecundus promises secrets and life ever-lasting should he spread its teachings: new life must be created, no family of animal nor plant must be allowed to disappear from this world. Follow this solemn duty and pray to Fecundus and it will answer.

In order to receive my strength one must create a unique plant or creature whilst speaking my name.

10 power
Make Dingani a pawn - 2
Teach Dingani Animation (sub-aspect of Life) - 5
Give Dingani 1 power - 1
Set condition for anyone receiving power in future: create a unique kind of animal or plant (by any means) and pray to Fecundus.

3 power left (to fuel Dingani's power use)

The boy Dingani thought to himself, "Ha I knew I was better than these simpletons. I was destined for greatness, and here it is. A god has chosen me to be it's voice and champion. He could not have chosen better." Dingani learned the creation aspect, and gained one power. He then immediately spent that power. "I will show them the power of a god and they will follow me." Dingani invoked the name of Fecundus and channeled his new magic. From the dirt in front of him rose a terrifying lion-like creature. It's body was a twisting conglomerate of vines and was covered in hair like pine needles. Inside it's mouth was many sharp thorns, and roots can be seen if one were to look down its throat. The vine lion had a hollow section on the inside for water and nutrients. Dingani and his lion returned to the Mojang tribe, but were not met as hero's as Dingani expected. Fear was in the eyes of the tribe, before them they perceived two monsters. Dingani managed to prevent the tribe members from attacking, but was told that his "pet" could never come near the village. Dingani was not upset by this, he thought, "Those fools don't recognize greatness when it stands before them." He and his lion retreat to the woods.

The great game of gods is about to begin. All that Faranim needed is a worthy individual to bring a passion into the world. And he found one. Young woman from   Rejail Tribe named Ceilea. He visited her dream in his usual form of a fireball.

Ceilea you are chosen by me, god of fire. You are worthy to receive my gift. I hope you will like it in the. Others will ask what happened with you and you shall tell them about me. Tell them that I will offer other blessings to your tribe should you worship me by burning valuable crafts in my name. I will come one year later with more gifts for your tribe. The more you will sacrifice the larger my gift will be.

Also, I have a personal task for you to seduce and marry Nillam and try to turn him in my believer. Together you will lead your tribe to prosperity. Be wary of other gods as many of them wish no good to your people

Make Ceilea my pawn 5 power
Change Ceilea's appearance: Turn her hair bright red and make the young woman much more sexy then before. (2 power, hereditary boon)

Ceilea awoke with a start. Her shoulders felt warm as if she had been facing a campfire, but when she looked down, it was her hair that was the color of fire. She raced to tell the Rejail tribe of her dream and show them her hair. She was met with general disinterest, while many thought the change in hair was strange and found Ceilia slightly more attractive, no one was awestruck. Especially Nilliam. Nilliam told Ceilea that she was fool-hearty for believing in gods and that she simply had fallen asleep with her hair in the sun one too many times.

Athux enters Nishaan's dreams, showing his own form over the image of an ever-shifting landscape. He explains his status as a god, and freely answers whatever questions the young man might have. While the god tries to keep as close to the truth as possible, he emphasizes how Nishaan will take an important role in whatever legends and adventures are told of the gods' comings. Athux concludes the dream by saying he wishes to assist Nishaan in changing the world, and will give him gifts appropriate for Nishaan's future endeavors.

Make Nishan my Pawn (5 power), and give him a boon which allows him to more easily influence the hearts and minds of others. (3 power)

Nishan beheld the infinitely many numbers of futures that Athux had shown him, and was excited to explore them. Nishan had always been a loner, but now, he could convince people that there is great adventure out there. He strode into the center of his village and gathered the attention of it's people. "I have seen a vision, an ever changing future that spans out before us. We are to be the center of this changing world and will prosper within it." Nishan had no proof, but is words seemed to be convincing enough. Over the next few days people murmured prayers to Athux for insight into the future.

Hm? I feel a distinct sense of Deja Vu.. No matter.

I make Sarah my pawn and appear to her in a dream. I tell her that there are gods and although not all are bad there may be some yadda yadda yadda, basically my first turn in the last game; tell her to spread word of me among the tribe.

Sarah tells her tribe of your power, but no one really listens to her. Dingani has taken away the attention of the rest of the tribe and made them fearful of the gods.

And so Anath awakens with the great darkness of a long night finally ending. A pity. But also an opportunity to act.

Looking upon the world, it seems the other gods have already stolen a march upon Anath. But even so, Anath will act.

Reaching out to the mortal known as Byril, Anath appears within his dreams, granting Byril the knowledge of Anath's godhood, his domain of the transcendent night. And furthermore, granting Byril... power. Shadowy power. For with the blessing of the true and great god of the night, Byril shall find himself concealed within the darkness, a hidden figure that none may bare the path of! And in return, all Byril has to do is worship Anath and spread word of his nature and existence.

Make Byril a Pawn - 5 Power
Grant Byril Darkvision - 2 Power
Grant Byril the power of Shadowmeld - 2 Power (IE, invisibility, or at least very good concealment, in the shadows of the night.)

Byril takes the words of Anath to heart. She enjoys her new ability and watches people as they walk by, unknowing of his eyes. Byril watches from the shadows, learning the secrets of his tribesmen. Then, she lies. She whispers Anath's name from the shadows and into the ears of passerbys. "I am Anath, the night and the darkness. You will worship me and I will reward you." When his terrified victims turn to locate her, Byril is once again part of the shadows. General terror has stricken the Nyrail, but a few members have began a cult in Anath's name. They worship in the darkness of night in secret places. Byril sits among them, whispering things from behind the dark. "

Shanita awakens from her slumber, but she knows who she must enlighten.

She appears in Vega's dreams, telling her that if she cares so much about beauty, she will follow Shanita, and she will learn of the beauty within.

8 power: Make Vega my pawn, and tell her to spread word, among her tribe.

Vega is offended by the insinuations of the god. "I am beautiful on the inside." She says to herself. "I am the perfect woman and beautiful to a fault. I'm wonderful, which is why this god must have chosen me." Vega gathers several members of the tribe and tells them that Shanita has appeared before her. The tribemembers are skeptical. Vega thought very highly of herself and had tried to romance the powerful members of the tribe several times before. They are unsure if this is just another ploy or if she is truthful.

Murder was not yet born in this world, and Jack little more than an unknown concept.  There had been killings, certainly, even amongst men, but rarely more than the result of too heated challenges over food and mates.  True, pre-meditated, cold-hearted murder was unknown to this world.

So it was that Jack wore no face when he visited Byril in her dreams, instead no more than a vague malevolent presence and a whispering in Byril's own thoughts.

Always they have ignored me, haven't they?  Put me down, belittled me.  Handsome Verrick is beloved of Asril, the bitch.  But were I to challenge her, she would easily best me - and how humiliated I would be before the rest of the tribe.

What if she was gone?  Verrick would notice me then, would love me then.

I should kill her.

No, no I won't.

Won't... or can't?

I don't know.

You have everything to gain, Byril.  Kill her.

But if I am found out -

Then what?  You will be banished?  Driven away?  They despise you anyway, you live alone regardless.  You have nothing worse losing to lose.  Kill her.

Who are you?

I am Murder - that which you seek.  To kill her, to end the problem in your way.  All you need is the power.

And you can give me that?

Of course.  All you need do is find the will within yourself to kill - and I will provide you with a tool to make it so.  Observe.

The dream showed an exposed rock-face on the side of a hill - thick orange streaks spanned the side in layers.

Take one of the orange rocks, and one of these harder rocks here - then chip away at it until you have this.

A lump of the rock appeared, then flaked away to reveal an arm-length, slender shape - still rough but with a clear flattish blade and edge.

A knife?  But that rock, it will not hold an edge.  I would better use the flint stone.

Only trust me.  I shall transform that tool into the perfect knife with which to kill.  All you need do is carve the shape, and then plunge it into fire.

What do you ask of me in return?

Only to kill your rival - and to whisper a dedication of that murder to me, Murder.  To Jack.

Make Byril a Pawn.  [-5 Power]

Ask Byril to carve a rough long knife out of the local haematite and place it into a fire - easing the conditions to cheapen the cost of what Jack does next.

Given that she does this, transform the iron ore blade into a steel dagger using the ore and carbon from the flame - give it the most finely balanced, light and aesthetically pleasing shape possible.  An exquisite weapon, simple and easy to use.  [-1 Power]

Then shape within it the capacity to store Power - although do not place any within it just yet.  [-3 Power]

Byril was surprised when Jack approached her. She had, at first, thought that it was Anath once more. But when Jack offered her more power, Byril could not resist. She thought not of what the shadowy god thought, but only of the task at hand. The new dagger was as sharp as murder itself and it's holder was as silent as the night. Her rival had died that night and in the dirty deed she invoked the name of one of her new gods: Jack. Anath's and Jack's names slithered through the dark and into the mouths of the villagers. The cult gained more followers and worshiped Jack and Anath alike. The murderer in the night remained at large in the village leading fearful villagers asking Jack to be spared an untimely death.

Soon after Farinam left Ceilea he noticed another mortal with a great potential. A little boy  living among the lakes. Taking a form of a sparrow made from fire he landed on boy's hand in his dream.

"Hello! I am fire. I am good. I am lonely. Play with me. Pet me. Don't be afraid of me! Your hands will be not hurt

It was one of many his visits to the boy. Using games the God of fire shared secrets of his element explaining how fire is born, how it change things, how dangerous it may be, how to make it go away.

Pawn Pank 2 power
Explain him basic physics of fire
Make his hands fire resistant (1 power boon)

Pank was delighted to have a new playmate and did not yet understand the ways of the world. He did not understand why his mother screamed when he set some dray grass alight, nor did he understand why she ran when he brought her some fire. Eventually she told the boy that he was special and that fire was nice to him while it was mean to everyone else. She explained that he must be careful and let no one see his special power, because if they did, they would thin him a demon. This troubled Pank greatly, but he listened to his mom.

As the star passed, an 8 year old girl named Zilla fell asleep, and  she began dreaming a strange dream, one that little did she know would not only change her future, but the future of all of Vertoil. The dream started as an empty void, with only a small book stand seeming to float in the nothingness, then with a sound like the rustling of a thousand leaves thousands of thousands pieces of paper flew through the abyss, as if carried by an ghostly wind, and where they landed they took on color and changed into the things of the world. As Zilla watched this she thought Is this how Shatan was made?. Then suddenly the book threw itself open and she walked forward, and as she looked into the book and while she could not read, the books word seemed to ship into an image she could understand as an attempt to say this "Hello Zilla I am Vashna, and we have a lot to talk about. But first lets teach you how to read.

Zilla had learned to read, which was rare in the tribe since there was not much reading material to be had. She discussed with an elder of the tribe some old writing from before the Long Dark and shared with them the vision from Vashna. Seeing the gift that this child had received, the elder told other members of the tribe to look for Vashna for wisdom. Some members offered prayers to Vashna, but few cared much about reading and knowledge enough to do so.

(sorry this took so long, was really busy up till now, and as for the similarities I just quoted my previous character without reading the others, so I do apologize for that, I am fine with just being the god of hunting)

Corvric looked down upon the world, so full of pitiful creatures, weak creatures, and yet, the strong resided there too, and even better, those with the potential to become strong, but the others where moving, and he was late. If he wished to achieve his goal, he would have to act, and soon.

It was in his sleep that the great black wolf appeared, striding through the mists, deep red eyes piercing the gloom, and though he did not know how or why, the mortal knew, that this being demanded respect.

"Greetings, mortal, do not worry, I am not here to kill you, I am here to offer you something great, a gift of mighty power. You have caught my attention, you are a rather, unique individual, and for that, I offer a bargain. I am Corvric, lord of the hunt, and I offer you this deal, if you can find a great beats and offer it to me on the dark of the New Moon, I will grant you great power. I even offer you a gift, something to wet your tongue to the power I can give you, and perhaps aid you in your quest. Complete this task as you see fit, but do please complete it, I don't take kindly to failure."

And so Mot awoke with a start, to the sound of a howling wolf in the distance.

Make Mot my Pawn, 5 power
Grant him enhanced senses in smell, sight and hearing, 2 power
Give him an offer that if he can sacrifice a great enough beast on the new moon, I will grant him a gift based on what was slain, 1 power

Mot was unsure of how to take this dream. Mot, as a rule avoided taking any action he didn't have to and disliked change. However, that wolf in the distance was quite persuasive. As he thought about it, he realized the gift that had been bestowed upon him. He heard, smelled, and saw everything more clearly than before. Mot had never been very great at anything before, but now, he felt like he could achieve great things.

Mot decided that he would take up the hunt and the gods request. However, he was slow and sure he'd be forgiven if he could not achieve his new god's desires. With a bow and quiver Mot set out to kill a great beast, but by the now moon, he had but only a deer and some quail to sacrifice.

((That was a lot of writing, I will get the new income's up here in a bit, but need to do a few other things first. Just thought you'd like to read these ahead of time.))

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
  • clouds are pretty :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2015, 07:53:33 pm »

Curses, It seems there is more than one god that wishes dominion over this tribe. No matter, if they wish for a contest of power to prove my existance, I shall give them it.
I will give Sarah the ability to create abstract shapes out of thin air; They are merely illusions and disappear after a few minutes, but I shall tell her this could be a good way to distract the animals for easy hunting. Tell the hunters this, and that if they believe in me I shall give them this ability.

((It's really hard to come up with powers about the aether that can be actually practical..))
Quote from: Empiricist
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2015, 11:18:46 am »

Income:
(Short note: Your plans succeed or fail largely on how you describe them, the amount of power you put into them, and the luck of the dice. There where many low rolls this turn and I shall post the rolls for next turn so you know whats up. Also, people are not inclined to believe in you without some sort of divine action. One pawn saying you are real without some proof is not going to sway the general populous).

Fecundus
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Faranim:

Athux

Aperius

Anath

Jack

Shanita

Vashna

Corvric

Pawns:

Potentials:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 11:48:19 am by Spiderking50 »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2015, 10:25:31 pm »

Jack came to Byril in a dream, now given form - she appeared as Asril, Byril's victim.  In the dream they were deep in the swamps, and Jack held her knife instead of Byril.  She grinned at the murderer with sharp, pointed teeth.

"Asril?" Byril breathed.

"Jack," said Jack, and her eyes flashed the sheen of steel.  "Her spirit rests with me now - well, rest is perhaps not the right word.  You have done well.  Serve me further in this manner, and I shall continue to favour you."

"How?" asked Byril.

Jack glanced to her side, where a hooded figure trudged through the swamp.  She threw her knife and the figure crumpled, then turned to smoke and flowed back into Jack's hand in the dagger's form.

"In the manner you might expect," said Jack.  "Each murder you commit in my name sends me the spirit of the victim, and I will send you strength in return - but in a less direct manner."

Jack threw Byril the knife, who caught it.

"For each man, woman or child you murder in my name, the dagger will steal a shred of their life for you to use.  I will teach you how to use that power to strengthen yourself and those you would deem your followers.  Yet this power comes with a cost - to follow me, to kill in my name and draw of my power, you must follow my laws.  They are simple.

"First: All the men, women and children in the world you may kill, save those who offer sacrifice in my name, or for whom sacrifice is offered for them.  Such propitiation pleases me, and I will honour their pleas for their life - up to a point.

"Second: You may kill those who have been afforded my protection, but only with a sacrifice ten times greater than that which they have offered up to me in a year.  Such an exception I will allow, so long as the sacrifice is made first.

"Obey my laws and you shall have my blessing and my power.  Break them, and my wrath shall descend upon thee."

Covenant:  Half of the power gained from each murder committed with the Jackknife in my name will be stored within the knife, from which its wielder may draw it.

"Now, I shall teach you to draw upon the power of the knife, and mould its shards of spirit into a form you can use.  Once you have learnt, you may teach others who would kill in my name in turn.  This power shall grant you speed, grace and flexibility, and once learnt you may bless yourself or others with its power."

Jack gestured to the knife in Byril's hand.

"Now, hold the knife in both hands and feel the cold of the steel.  Beneath that, try to feel the warmth.  Yes, the heat like the heat in your blood, like the hot spurting of Asril's life when you took it.  Can you feel that?  Now draw it into yourself, into your veins as you took it from hers.  Yes, like that.  Now feel it spread through your body, flooding it, and focus it down into your muscles, your joints and fingers and limbs and toes.  Feel it sharpen them, quicken them..."

The lesson continued in this vein for long hours before the Aspect was taught.

Teach Aspect [-5 Power?]: [Murder Subset] Reflexes
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4