Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Apathy  (Read 1953 times)

Thetwodud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Apathy
« on: August 12, 2007, 01:29:00 am »

Thanks to losing two or three war/hunting dogs in less than a season (plus the other problems you see in her thoughts), my hunter has become apathetic. Still hunts like a demon possessed, though.

It really kind of makes me feel bad for her. Anyone else recently make a dwarf's life so miserable that he/she just stopped caring?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Apathy
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 02:02:00 am »

Yes, they will get used to those bad feelings.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Bluefire

• Bay Watcher
  • Slaves to Khorne
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 04:37:00 am »

Will that apathy disapear after some time, or will the hunter remain apathic for the rest of her(short hunter)life?

HoD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 04:55:00 am »

Mmm, wonder what a dwarf with apathy would be like in the military.
Cold, ruthless and efficent, or do they just open the doors to the fort
and let the goblins in
hat?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 05:20:00 am »

Hmm, I think 'anything' in 'don't care about anything' means 'anything bad/miserable'. That doesn't mean he doesn't care his jobs.

In my first fortress, I had a carpenter who became a hunter and animal trainer. He got hurt many times, and also his dog was badly injured by a deer. Then I saw that message. Nothing bad happened when I recruited him.

His dog got a red upper body and never recovered. It always followed him, fell every few steps. Finally, that dog died in a patrol, killed by some deers maybe.

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 05:36:00 am »

Hi!

IIRC, someone here on the forums or the wiki explained that that 'apathy' is actually an adaptation to creature/dwarf death and such a normal thing for soldiers, butchers, and hunters. There seem to be no negative effects from it.

Personally, I think, if there is really no negative social effects, the wording of that development is way too strong. It really makes you worry about the dwarf, doesn't it, even though everything is fine.

Deathworks

Ancient Whale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 07:33:00 am »

A female swordsdwarf of mine was carrying two babies while doing all her soldierly stuffs. One was mauled to death by lizardmen and the other hurt so bad it went melancholy and drowned itself. She never got unhappy(probably thanks to general military ecstasy), but she no longer cares about anything.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 07:46:00 am »

Oh Whale, you mean she bashed enemies with babies..!?  :eek:

Ravendas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 07:50:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by utunnels:
<STRONG>Oh Whale, you mean she bashed enemies with babies..!?   :eek:</STRONG>

Dwarves automatically attack with things in their hands. They carry babies in their hands...

The right hand baby dealt the blows, the left hand baby blocked them all for mommy.

I once suggested babyplate mail armor, but it was generally frowned upon. Just imagine, halfway through a fight, and half of your armor is  berserk, the other half is unconcious or vomiting. Would be glorious.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 07:54:00 am »

Yeah, I guessed so.
In adv mode, we can bash enemies with elephant corpse. Not sure about how much damage can be dealed, I think that won't do more damage than a bare fist.

Dreamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 09:12:00 am »

I think babies are carried on the dwarf's back, or something like that.  If they were carried like other items in the inventory, they'd probably show up in the inventory...  I'm sure that wasn't done for a number of reasons.  Either way, I still imagine the dwarven mother carrying the child around in one of those baby carriers, except more dwarvish, menacing with spikes and such.
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲/
◄Nothing Beats Menacing►
/▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼\

Kagira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2007, 01:33:00 pm »

Yeah, and they give the baby an axe too so he can cover the rear.
obles make fine firewood.