Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: (SG) The Warplands  (Read 905 times)

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
(SG) The Warplands
« on: July 05, 2015, 02:07:49 pm »

You left some time ago from your hometown and took the roads north. After travelling a good ways, the plants began to take on stranger and stranger forms. You swear you saw them reaching out for you. You hurried through that area, and emerged into a bleached, pitted wasteland. After travelling for a couple days, you notice a small village on the horizon and run there, your rations having run low.
        When you arrive, you go to the only building that seems to sell food, a squat little bar at the very edge of the town. The inside is exactly as you would expect, with dirty tables set in dim lighting amid the puddles on the floor. The counter's front is covered with a dozen different medicines and drugs, but they seem old and dingy, like everything else in this place. You order a soda, and that's when it hits.
        You'd been having minor headaches intermittently over the past week or so, but you'd assumed it was just from the relentless glare off the wasteland. This is worse, and definitely not normal. You double over in pain, and in your reflection in a puddle on the floor you see something horrifying.
        Your chest and head are covered with hundreds of humming branches dripping with multicolored goop that dissipates as it strikes the floor. The very earth seems to writhe away as the puddle shakes and trembles and a freezing phantom wind brushes across your face. When the burst of pain fades, the branches fade into nothing, though you feel like a part of you has changed, in some way that you can't quite understand. One of the other patrons looks at you and shakes his head, muttering as he turns back to his drink.

Who are you?
What do you look like?
What element are you newly attuned to? [see below]
What do you do now?

Spoiler: Elements (click to show/hide)
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) The Warplands
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 02:17:19 pm »

Rainer Zuko

A gauntly young man with yellowish eyes and brown hair. Most of your hair is ragged and long due to the long tracks through the wastelands we were just traversing. Our clothes are little better also.
Fire.
Ask around the village to the nearest city and who runs it.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 02:35:08 pm »

Jon Noj
5 foot 8 inches. Blond hair and lean build. Sharp face and soft blue eyes.
Water.
You stare into your drink and behold the majesty of liquid. You try to regain your breath and composure.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 02:54:25 pm »

Stone

I'll let you guys do the rest.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 12:59:53 am »

Stone

+1
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 02:38:12 am »

Air

Unless we're expecting to go up against tear gas, this would be the most useful to us. Air is everywhere.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 02:44:16 am »

Stone

+1
Draghan Rustwear
A musculous but somewhat stout man with dark brown skin colour. Green eyes of and no hair
Stone
You look at the other patron in annoyance, as you do not like this particular fellow
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 02:46:55 am by Detoxicated »

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 01:51:27 pm »

Stone

+1
Draghan Rustwear
A musculous but somewhat stout man with dark brown skin colour. Green eyes of and no hair
Stone
You look at the other patron in annoyance, as you do not like this particular fellow
+1

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 02:02:55 pm »

I like all suggestions so far, but I think my favorite is
Rainer Zuko

A gauntly young man with yellowish eyes and brown hair. Most of your hair is ragged and long due to the long tracks through the wastelands we were just traversing. Our clothes are little better also.
Fire.
Ask around the village to the nearest city and who runs it.
+1
Hopefully though someone will come along with a good character for air then the choice will be much more interesting.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 04:28:55 pm »

You look at the man, narrowing your eyes in annoyance. The barkeep steps in, speaking.
       "'E doesn't mean any harm. You've got a pretty big problem, and I've not seen it solved yet. That image you saw right there? That wasn't a hallucination, and we all saw it. It was... a portent more like. From tha look on your face, I presume you're not from around here? Of course you're not. You've picked one of them up. You're probably gonna start feeling a connection, sorta, soon. I'd advise using that sparingly. Those that don't lose themselves faster." -She hesitates for a moment- "Is there anything I can get you? We've got a couple of things that can slow down your affliction, but it builds up a resistance to them fast."

You sip your drink as you ponder, but it isn't long until pain lances through your skull again as you feel something within you twist. Your life flashes through your mind at a dizzying pace, as if whatever you "picked up" wanted to get to know its host better before it does... whatever it's doing. As the images fade, you realize that you can feel the stone below you, untrammeled and hidden beneath the surface's skin. It feels almost like a part of you, though distant and numb.
         As the pain fades from your skull, you inquire as to the whereabouts of a larger city and its governance. "A bigger city, eh? There aren't too many larger cities in this place, but I think there's one about fifty miles to the northeast, and even that one's not too big. They've got a pretty simple government, if I remember. Basic votes on stuff of importance and people generally keep to themselves. They've got a pretty big crime problem though, last I heard. Be careful when you travel if you go there - the warplands are not a safe place."

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 02:41:59 pm by XXXXYYYY »

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 09:24:02 pm »

Leave the bar, look for a quiet spot. Sit down on the Earth and feel and listen and understand

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 01:51:37 pm »

You excuse yourself from the bar for the moment, and kneel on the hard, pale earth of the wasteland. You stretch into your new connection, examining the long strand connecting you to the ground. When you reach the stone and dirt packed beneath the surface, you audibly gasp. The stone is not dead and still like it is so often called. No. It's alive, vibrant with controlled energy, softly humming with power as it slowly wars amidst and against itself and moves ever, ever so slowly. It's beautiful, with strands of crystal stretching like veins among the layers of rock.
        You hear what little life remains move beneath its surface, strange and warped and twisted though it is. You feel that this earth is, for lack of a better word, sick, in a way. It feels like it was... tampered with, in a way reminiscent of you. Not the same, but the changes feel similar. The life that remains, barely, within the soil and stone feels fundamentally wrong, changed and edited unwillingly and haphazardly.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 02:26:12 pm »

Decide that something must be done to help earth. Go back to the bar and find out as much as possible about these spirits and the land itself.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 03:58:38 pm »

You stand up from your connection, resolute to cure the earth and return to the bar. You ask the bartender about what happened here to cause this sickness in the earth, and how to cure it. She initially seems a little confused, but replies after a moment.
        "Sickness? Oh, the Warp, I getcha. In short, it's a result of a bunch of people messing with the world in a similar way to your bond with tha earth. Both make that weird liquid-gas stuff that you made when you had your first vision. It's not really inanimate though. It's living, sorta, and it doesn't wanta die. For tha most part, it just sits inside creatures, changing them when it accumulates too much. If the thing dies, it'll usually lash out in an attempt to pass itself on. You had to have passed through tha forests around this place. That's a minor example of a Warp-infested area.
         Anyway, those people ended up dying, and there was enough Warp in their bodies that it exploded out, and that didn't end well for anything living nearby, as you can see. If too much Warp is in a body, it starts to breed, for lack of a better word. That happened for basically everything living in the region, and it set off a cascade of death and Warp that lasted for months. Eventually, it stopped, enough of tha warp evaporating that it ended. Nothin that lived in the area emerged unscathed, as I guess you've seen.
        You've got a little passenger, as I think you know. It's not Warp, so to speak, but it'll make some as you mess with the world. It'll shape the Warp inside of you, but it'll change you just the same. Not just your body, though it'll do that. Your soul. It'll fracture your soul and make changes as it wishes.
        Curing the Warp? Hmm. I don't think there's a way to reverse the changes, but you might be able to remove the warp itself and possibly put it in something. That way, the changes'll go away in a generation or two, rather than being passed on. It'll probably end up with you making some Warp inside yourself, though I guess you could just store that too."

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2015, 04:01:43 pm »

((I'm beginning to think that symbol at the top is relevant. Some sort of puzzle...))
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.