Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 29

Author Topic: Towers of Ragona [OOC]  (Read 15936 times)

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
Re: Towers of Ragona [OOC]
« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2015, 09:55:47 am »

Well, I hope so, otherwise this would be a dull game :P

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 23, 2015, 10:09:01 am »

Well, nice to see another Turquoise member, even though well be in fierce competition. (I did acquire a bunch of mines recently)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 23, 2015, 10:10:42 am »

Well, I saw only one house dealing with mines, but since I had no idea about real economy, I was hardly in a position to make any educated guesses. But hey, that's another part of the game.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 23, 2015, 02:19:59 pm »

I have a question is Slavery and Slaves a thing? I might be interested to expand my business into venues which produce a good profit even in peace...

Edit:
Also can we have a rundown of our current economy? Or are the specific amounts of Mines, Farms and Ironworks something secret?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 02:22:24 pm by Ghazkull »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 23, 2015, 02:28:02 pm »

Slavery is a thing, but I wasn't sure whether or not it was economically important enough to merit an industry.  Slavery is vital to the farming, mining and shipping industries, however.  Here are the population requirements for each holding:

Farms: 25 slaves, 5 plebs, 1 noble
Mines: 30 slaves, 10 plebs, 1 noble
Ships: 10 slaves, 15 plebs, 2 nobles  [galley slaves, sailors, captain and first mate]

I could conceivably add slavery as an industry that produces the 'Slaves' good, which is consumed by Farms, Mines and to a small degree Ships.  I could set it up so that you can only produce Slave Pit holdings by either capturing slaves in war or starting with them as a holding.  Right now (if implemented), Ragona would get all its slaves from outside sources.

If you guys think this is important enough an industry to model (which for the time, it might be), I'll add it in over the next couple of turns.

I've also been modelling wages this turn (and boy have prices skyrocketed to balance - I've had to do a lot of tweaking thus far to get the holding values near to what they are currently worth), but this would also technically permit a new kind of Holding if people were interested - Rents.  This would be an industry based on the total population in Ragona, essentially taking wages from the common folk in exchange for a place to live.  Might be trouble to set it up to recognise rent from slaves, plebs and nobles differently, though.  I'll look at it at another date if folks are interested.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #140 on: July 23, 2015, 02:41:52 pm »

I think he was asking for a rundown of all the holdings held by towers PC and NPC and how they effect the economy.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 23, 2015, 02:56:00 pm »

Hmm...so no untrained slaves turned into trained slaves or something like that? Because i had the idea that since, if slavery was a thing of course, they would rbing back lots of unskilled slaves, i could set up...i don't know what they are called for normal slaves but for example gladiator schools and schools for scribes and stuff to sell trained slaves as a kind of finished goods product?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 23, 2015, 03:10:51 pm »

I think he was asking for a rundown of all the holdings held by towers PC and NPC and how they effect the economy.

I'm afraid he ninja-edited that before I could answer.  The Master of Coin has an accurate census (and only the Master), but by land space and overall income farming accounts for about half or more of Ragona's total GDP.  At less than a fifth comes goods production, followed by iron mining, steel production, finance and shipping in that order.  Secondary and tertiary industries tend to be owned primarily by players (with the exception of Ironworking), whilst Farming is about 60% NPC Towers - this is so that I have an ample amount to 'fudge' new player incomes with.

I can post market prices as well, but right now they don't mean too much (and I'm rebalancing them because of the wage additions anyway).

Re Slaves:  You could, but I would rather keep the economy as simple as possible, so I'd lump trained and untrained slaves together as 'Slaves', and count the Slave production of your pits as a mixture of capture, breeding and re-educating.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 23, 2015, 03:14:35 pm »

With addition of rents, I think the economy is growing complex enough, slavery should be just imagined as part of the  cost of setting up and running of businesses.

Also, here's hoping my app is in...

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 23, 2015, 03:38:08 pm »

I think rent provides a more worthwhile model than slavery. It sounds like slaves are already included in the game.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 23, 2015, 07:49:18 pm »

With addition of rents, I think the economy is growing complex enough, slavery should be just imagined as part of the  cost of setting up and running of businesses.

Also, here's hoping my app is in...

Ah yes, you're in.  I'll send you a summary of your House tomorrow.

[Slaves are easy to implement, truthfully, so it really is a question of what feels best.]

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 23, 2015, 07:50:59 pm »

From a purely personal perspective, I don't feel like dealing with slaves or slavery in general, I prefer to have it abstracted.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 23, 2015, 08:10:59 pm »

From a purely personal perspective, I don't feel like dealing with slaves or slavery in general, I prefer to have it abstracted.
+1

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 24, 2015, 05:46:18 am »

(( dawh...and i was already starting to crank up my military-industrial complex and wanted to add slavery to the list of things that make my house absolutely unlikeable XD))

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 24, 2015, 04:06:51 pm »

Turn is stretching on for another 12-24 hours, due to busy Iituem and limited actions submitted.  I'll sort out the Riskovs now, though.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 29