Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 29

Author Topic: Towers of Ragona [OOC]  (Read 15931 times)

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
Re: Towers of Ragona [OOC]
« Reply #120 on: July 21, 2015, 01:52:19 pm »

Eh whatever, its too late now  :P Honestly its not a big deal.

Edit: And if Ragona is providing most of the funds for the academy, then its not really a personal issue. I can work something out with Stratos if we votedown the academy, but otherwise, its a tower issue.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 01:56:24 pm by Spiderking50 »
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 21, 2015, 03:32:04 pm »

Want an opinion check from the players:

Is it worth at some point in the future increasing the variety of goods in the sim?  The background sim is still being tinkered with as we go along (for instance, I recently added the ability to grant monopolies to other Towers to use or ship your produced resources), and I still need to add stuff like wages for plebs and so on (currently their pay is not taken into account by the sim at all, so you can't underpay your workers for more money).

Right now, the game tracks six resources.  They could be expanded, but I am not sure that it would add much.

Food is produced by Farms (which are zero-sum) and consumed by citizens (who are in the background sim, generated by having Holdings).

Iron is produced by Mines (whose construction is limited by ore availability - prospectors do a % check on the mineral frequency in Ragona when they prospect) and consumed by Ironworks.

Raw Materials are currently at a fixed amount of production, not hosted by Tower holdings (but they could be?) and consumed by Mills.  Right now, RM are a zero-sum resources, but could conceivably become a limited-sum resource like Iron if it was produced by Towers.  RM represents everything from grapes to wool to timber.

Tools are produced by Ironworks and are consumed by slaves and plebs (in the background sim - plebs consume more tools).  Tool prices rise during wartime (representing arms).

Goods are produced by Mills and are consumed by plebs and nobles (in the background sim - nobles consume more).  Goods represent everything from wine to textiles to furniture.

Luxuries are a zero-sum resource specific to territories, of which there are a fixed number of Holdings.  The only way to produce Luxuries is to purchase or seize a Luxury holding (e.g. the brandy vinyards in Lorenze).  Luxuries are consumed by nobles and are very expensive.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 21, 2015, 04:30:30 pm »

My instinct is to keep the simulation aspects as simple and straightforward as possible. Only model what it is interesting to model.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 21, 2015, 04:52:28 pm »

I wasn't even aware that luxuries existed as a resource, but it makes sense within the scope of the game.

Things like gold and gems as a luxury resource would be interesting because it would do the same thing as iron mines, but could bring a larger payback. Assuming nobles are buying.

I think diversification of resources would make things interesting from a purely economic standpoint (Because I'm not entirely sure about the can-of-worms that comes with you having to keep track of that). For food maybe other things besides farm such as butchery and fishing could provide another use for ships or whatever you have going on.

Raw materials could be interesting because right now mills just sort of put things out, but don't really take anything in. Its a little magical. But keeping track of supply and demand for several raw materials may be difficult.

All and all, no matter what you do, its going to make keeping track of everything more difficult. So theres a trade off there. If it makes the game more interesting and allows the some meaningful play, then I'd say do it. But if it detracts from your ability to make the game run smoothly, then don't do it.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 21, 2015, 09:25:51 pm »

Personally I do like the inclusion of Luxury Resources as a thing we can squabble over.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 22, 2015, 01:06:18 am »

Well, as long as this game does not crash due to complexity, I'm all for more stuff.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 22, 2015, 06:39:01 am »

I wasn't even aware that luxuries existed as a resource, but it makes sense within the scope of the game.

Things like gold and gems as a luxury resource would be interesting because it would do the same thing as iron mines, but could bring a larger payback. Assuming nobles are buying.

I think diversification of resources would make things interesting from a purely economic standpoint (Because I'm not entirely sure about the can-of-worms that comes with you having to keep track of that). For food maybe other things besides farm such as butchery and fishing could provide another use for ships or whatever you have going on.

Raw materials could be interesting because right now mills just sort of put things out, but don't really take anything in. Its a little magical. But keeping track of supply and demand for several raw materials may be difficult.

All and all, no matter what you do, its going to make keeping track of everything more difficult. So theres a trade off there. If it makes the game more interesting and allows the some meaningful play, then I'd say do it. But if it detracts from your ability to make the game run smoothly, then don't do it.

Luxuries already exist as a resource, but I haven't drawn attention to them yet because Ragona only imports them.  Certain players have been informed by their allied factions about the existence of Luxuries (e.g. when deciding who to side with over the war), but otherwise it hasn't been important to mention.  Yes, I am giving out secret information.  This is deliberate.

Raw materials exist and are modelled in the background sim, and are cheaper to import than export.  However, goods production has not yet exceeded available raw materials amounts, so it hasn't become important yet.  Raw materials supply and demand is already tracked, so goods is still a secondary industry.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 22, 2015, 08:59:36 am »

Well, as long as this game does not crash due to complexity, I'm all for more stuff.

I think he summed it up perfectly.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 22, 2015, 10:30:03 am »

What do you mean by "zero sum ressource"? That the production will always exactly match consumption?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 22, 2015, 11:02:51 am »

will the GM consider one more player? I see the game is pretty full up already, but I am quite interested by the concept.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 22, 2015, 11:08:47 am »

I think the player limit is 41, so you should be able to join. :p Good to see you!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 22, 2015, 12:53:30 pm »

What do you mean by "zero sum ressource"? That the production will always exactly match consumption?

Poor choice of wording, I think.  I mean that the sources of production are zero-sum:  You cannot create more land, so farms are of finite supply.  You can only take it from others.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 23, 2015, 02:30:46 am »

will the GM consider one more player? I see the game is pretty full up already, but I am quite interested by the concept.

Sorry, missed this.  Feel free, just submit a Tower.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 23, 2015, 07:28:00 am »

Name: Alexei
Family Name:Riskov
Family Trait(s): Rich
Affiliation: Turqoise Fellowship
Primary Holdings: Mines

Riskov family can trace their origins to the North, where their ancestors were renowned explorers and prospectors, leading teams in search of ores and trading in them. Their fortunes waxed and waned with the prosperity of their native principalities, with the height of Riskov fortune being trade in gems and stones that were discovered in giant lodes in the Marakal mountains by the end of the previous century. Since then, their fortunes diminished, and the grandfather of present head of family, Boris, gathered the remaining wealth and moved to Ragona, which proved to be a safe haven for the family.
Since then, Riskovs have returned to their ancestral trade and made their position by building on relations with Turquoise Fellowship, that saw them grow to be one of the Towers of Ragona. 

Despite their presence in the city for the past 3 generations, all Riskovs speak with their specific accent, tend to dress a little differently from the rest of nobility and always have preference for harder spirits as opposed to local wine, imported from the North or brewed on their specific demand. It is thanks to this family that citizens of Ragona now can enjoy the wonder of grain spirits, unknown until their arrival but slowly spreading since then. 

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 23, 2015, 08:20:02 am »

Ooooh, thats going to be interesting. :p

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 29