Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 29

Author Topic: Towers of Ragona [OOC]  (Read 15916 times)

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Towers of Ragona [OOC]
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2015, 03:47:18 pm »

Alright, I'll confess to being intrigued. And I shall be applying.

Player Name: Norvar
Family Name: Carus
Family Trait(s): Rich, Powerful
Affiliation: Family
Primary Holdings: Shipping

Family History: House Carus has always been involved in the sea, from humble beginnings as a coalition of fishermen... to a Guild...to a noble title, and a fleet of merchant vessels ready to seek new markets and even greater coffers for the House.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2015, 03:49:58 pm »

Yet more ships? That's going to seriously depress our profits... I sense a good, old-fashioned trade war coming!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2015, 03:51:25 pm »

Since I believe thats 3/11 players with primary focus shipping I do not think we'll have too much of a loss in profits but...I'm sure it will be fine!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2015, 04:02:20 pm »

Well, unlike other industries, we're all competing for the same pie. If you had a third player, we go from a bit less than half the pie to a bit less that a third of the pie (NPCs have ships too). Now, I think Iituem will adjust the pie size so we keep at around 500 each in revenues, but if he does not our income will shrink. And even if he does, we would benefit from sinking your ships. :p

On the other hand of course, more Tower voting to promote right and increase the shipping industry's benefits can only help us. :p
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 04:04:29 pm by Sheb »

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2015, 04:06:28 pm »

Or you support me More Weapons for the World means more shipping for you!

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2015, 04:11:20 pm »

Unless we ship more, it would be unrealistic to increase the pot. I'm not exactly sure how he'd deal with that because it would mean that shipping people are getting a boost (maybe not a net boost, but a boost) while everyone else isn't. Not that I don't want the shopping players to have money, it's just an interesting thing to have to consider.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2015, 04:14:40 pm »

Well, I think the idea is to set the global shipping level so that player starting with Ships get about 500 d/turn, like the others. If he doesn't up the pot size when Terenos join, he'll only be making ~350 instead of 500/turn, a severe disadvantage.

I'm also 100% certain that he did it when I joined, because my income is suspiciously close to 500.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 15, 2015, 04:18:42 pm »

Oh I hadn't realized it had gone up. If that's the case he'll likely start with the same amount everyone started with. I was just thinking that shipping was not the business to go into for the reasons above.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 15, 2015, 05:10:17 pm »

SENEX:  Chief Carrix has asked for looting rights in proportion with the size of his force - if they were to comprise 15% of the force, they would expect 15% of the loot.  They are not interested in taking land, only spoils, and would expect most of their share to be monetary in nature.
Did you mean Zoglakh?

I did!  I'll fix that.

Norvar Carus is in, pending my sending you your starting details - and yes, this is going to make for an interesting trading situation.

Well, unlike other industries, we're all competing for the same pie. If you had a third player, we go from a bit less than half the pie to a bit less that a third of the pie (NPCs have ships too). Now, I think Iituem will adjust the pie size so we keep at around 500 each in revenues, but if he does not our income will shrink. And even if he does, we would benefit from sinking your ships. :p

On the other hand of course, more Tower voting to promote right and increase the shipping industry's benefits can only help us. :p

The new Tower will 'eat' some of the existing NPC ships, actually.  I have those in place to permit new players.  But yes, he can expect a fair amount of his income to come from Farming at this point, unless Terenos would like to state a preferred secondary income source.

Global shipping is based on the total imports to and exports from Ragona.  The more trade you have with other realms, the more volume there is to ship and the more profit the shipping magnates can make.

Sheb's income is actually just luck - normally if people are too far off from the desired mark (500, 700 for Rich) I just fill in the gap with Farms - the NPC Towers have a huge stack of land I pull from to 'fill in' income on a stable basis.

Incidentally, Banking works similarly.  Instead of being based off trade, banks gain money based off the total productivity of all industries in Ragona (including Shipping).  So banks do better the better Ragona does as a whole.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2015, 05:33:17 pm »

I'm fine with Farming being a solid secondary income source. Bwhaha. Also, if we work to increase trade markets, as a bloc, then everyone with shipping will do better.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2015, 05:36:09 pm »

Could a new player join an existing player's family? Or two families marry into one? How would that work?

Edit: Also can we get a who's who post in the OP? I'm having trouble remembering who's in which industry.

Sorry I'm so needy today Iituem :P
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 05:44:41 pm by Spiderking50 »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2015, 05:49:47 pm »

There's a list of Towers in the Game thread OP.

New Towers can start as a cadet branch of an existing family, and of course political marriages can be arranged within the game.  Speak with other towers about the possibility.  Inheritance is thorny, and should be worked out at the time of marriage.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 15, 2015, 08:07:51 pm »

You could be my power seeking son who attempts to assassinate me alot?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2015, 09:50:18 am »

Not that I could ever commend anyone for spying on a foreign nation. But if I could, I would commend Tower Windborne. 
This made me chuckle.

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
  • Panther of the East Jungle
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 17, 2015, 01:19:25 pm »

And a small voice was heard from the estate of Tower Haruspex: "Called it!"
Quote from: Isaac Asimov
I write for the same reason I breathe — because if I didn't, I would die.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 29