Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 29

Author Topic: Towers of Ragona [OOC]  (Read 15893 times)

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
Re: Towers of Ragona [OOC]
« Reply #330 on: August 13, 2015, 04:00:10 pm »

Yes, Terenos is correct. Graz and I are both away and internet access is limited until Sunday/Monday.   I know it's a big request, but is it possible to withhold voting till then?

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #331 on: August 13, 2015, 04:05:49 pm »

Yes, Terenos is correct. Graz and I are both away and internet access is limited until Sunday/Monday.   I know it's a big request, but is it possible to withhold voting till then?

If you know how you will vote on the issues, you can submit them ahead of time. Probably.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 13, 2015, 04:08:59 pm »

There are few things that need resolving and discussing before we cast our votes and I'd hate to rush anything. I hope you understand and we can be given a this short grace period.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 13, 2015, 05:57:42 pm »

Not a problem.  I'll just roll discussion on until Sunday evening, set up the voting phase after that.  Can use the time to do some fixes and additions to the background sim (e.g. Rents, actually making export markets depend on relations with foreign nations rather than me just ad-libbing pluses and minuses depending on foreign policy).

Edit: Adjusted background sim so that import/export markets are dependent upon total markets of other nations and how friendly they are with Ragona.

Edit: Fixed the Treasury's odd habit of reimbursing you your taxes when you make a loss on Holdings.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 11:04:06 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 19, 2015, 12:55:30 pm »

Attempted to get rents to work.  Drove wages prices up so high that it wrecked the economy.

Reset to previous values and costs now.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 22, 2015, 02:46:29 pm »

Iituem stop breaking things. I know its hard but you have to resist the urge. Heh.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 22, 2015, 05:43:54 pm »

Expect a turn tomorrow or Monday.  Any actions to come in have until then.

Edit:  Turn 80% done.  Will finish when I have the energy.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 06:13:04 pm by Iituem »

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 24, 2015, 06:31:12 pm »

Don't push yourself Iituem, we can wait patiently.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 24, 2015, 06:49:43 pm »

Whilst discussion is open, would anyone care for a more in-depth combat setup for future fights?  I've designed one anyway for another game, so it could happen, but it would detract from the simplicity of the current system.

Of course, the current system consists of "Have more units?  Win!", so...

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 24, 2015, 07:45:53 pm »

Yes! Also I would like it if you made it so we can stop killing our spies after their first mission, having to train new ones every fortnight gets annoying.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 24, 2015, 07:49:23 pm »

I like the simple system. And my agent has yet to die...

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 24, 2015, 07:52:59 pm »

I was joking about the fact that our spies never get any better, thus making it so that whoever has the most spies wins.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 24, 2015, 07:54:54 pm »

Whoever uses their spies in the cleverest ways wins.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 25, 2015, 05:12:59 am »

I would not be opposed to a little more tactics, but if its another layer to the game that you have to process, then maybe not.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 25, 2015, 02:16:50 pm »

Well, it's a system I already made for another game, so it's actually a case of just using certain mechanics for this one.  Here are the choices.

As-Is

One Unit is one unit.  In fights, whoever has the most units wins, both sides typically lose one or more units.  Very abstracted, very low fidelity.

Basic Complexity

All player units are the Tail Swordsman as below, working with these mechanics:

Tail Swordsman
A sword-wielding infantryman typical of the states of Lucindra's Tail.  Wears a bronze helmet, light chainmail with shoulder plates and greaves and a large shield, fighting with a sword.

The above unit has 8 'figures' in comparison to a barbarian unit of 12, but the same amount of effective health.  Each figure gets its own attacks against an enemy unit's armour, based off a roll of 2d6, and being non-barbarian the swordsmen get an attack and defence bonus for discipline.  Survivors get to level up, increasing attack and effective armour.

In this setup, armies fight as two sets of AI-controlled units operating off simple decision trees (very simple, as everyone's a melee infantry unit), there is increased likelihood of lethality on both sides, but it is possible to win without losing units.

Units cost 1500 as before (with Powerful discount), and 100 upkeep.

Intermediate Complexity

There are a few player unit types that can be recruited.  By default, all existing player units become Tail Swordsmen as above.  In addition, there are the:

Tail Spearmen
Medium infantry, typical of the states of Lucindra's Tail.  Wears a bronze helmet, chainmail with shoulder plates and greaves and grips a 6' spear with both hands.  It won't stop a cavalry charge outright, but any survivors will give any equites a very bad time.  [Slightly less armour, effective vs. cavalry.]

Tail Skirmishers
Light infantry typical of the states of Lucindra's Tail.  Wears leather armour, carries a shortsword and several javelins to throw.  Very mobile compared to other infantry, but easily hit.

Tail Archers
Light infantry typical of the states of Lucindra's Tail.  Wears almost no armour, but sports a hardwood shortbow and arrows, with only a dagger for close combat.  Good range, very mobile, death at range, doomed in melee.

Equites
Light cavalry drawn from the equestrian classes.  Wears light chain and a bronze helmet, carries a small shield and a spear - can execute high speed charges to crush infantry and has a chance to disengage from fights to make another charge.  6 figures per unit, ruinously expensive to recruit and maintain.  Exceptionally fast.

As one would expect, this means that unit composition has a bigger effect on army choice and introduces another layer of strategy.  As mentioned, the engine already accounts for this.

Advanced Complexity

I let people go nuts with designing their own units.  Not recommended for this game.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 29