Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My coolest starting location so far  (Read 1533 times)

nondescuid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My coolest starting location so far
« on: March 22, 2008, 12:11:00 am »

After I found out that there seems to be no way to heal wounded dwarves in a saltwater location, I started a new game on the banks of a haunted freshwater lake. I have got lots of trees, a magma vent and a river (power source?). Most of the area has an aquifier - I guess I won't bypass it but try to go through with some clever engineering. Sand is available should I want glass.

And the best thing: There is a natural island on the lake. It looks more like a peninsula, but it is separate from the "mainland". It is surrounded by zombie carps. I guess I know where my jail will be...

I quite liked the challenge of the terrifying glacier I played before, but the saltwater and the fact that surface water freezes immediatelly (so no magnificient artificial waterfalls above ground, etc) made me abandon the fortress. This is now my approx. fifth fortress. From what I have heard of normal carp, I should not go fishing here, right? And can zombie carp walk on land like those zombie whales I heard of?

Well, I guess I don't want to find out by accident. Until I know more, I will build secure wooden towers or dig into the first soil layer above the aquifer, and tell my woodcutters to stay away from the water. Any advice for this location to a new DF player?

Khosan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My coolest starting location so far
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 12:14:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by nondescuid:
<STRONG>And the best thing: There is a natural island on the lake. It looks more like a peninsula, but it is separate from the "mainland". It is surrounded by zombie carps. I guess I know where my jail will be...</STRONG>

You poor soul.

nondescuid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 12:49:00 am »

I didn't start on that island. But when I started, I decided to start a bit too near to the river and make my palisades too long, so they were not finished in time and I had a zombie carp wandering near the beginnings of my fort (and the wagon). It scared away all my dwarves, so I had to abandon. Now I'll load the autosave and try again. There are about three pages of zombie carp in the creatures list. This promises to be interesting... (maybe I'll finally learn how to train decent marksdwarves - if the immigrants are not stupid enough to go near the river or the lake). Also, the river is no power source at all (7/7 water everywhere), so I guess I'll just build perpetual motion machines and pretend they are powered by the river.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 01:07:00 am »

Carp are semi-amphibious - thats why they can pull your dwarfs under - they jump out and push em in. Your screwed because the zombie-carp offer NO benefits what so ever.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 02:32:00 am »

Just because it says 7/7 water doesn't mean it's not flowing.

Also, if your river is a brook you'll have to channel out the area you want to build a water wheel or it won't work.