Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14

Author Topic: Outfoxed - Chapter 1: A Sense of Direction  (Read 14568 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Outfoxed - Chapter 1: A Sense of Direction
« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2015, 05:38:18 am »

"Incorrect. I am from an order of healers you have never heard of. I do not come from a human city with a inhuman name, I never stated the racial distribution of the city. I stated the last village I was at had a human population, I do not believe I would rank the surrounding settlements as 'villages'. Warcamps and Warrens maybe. Villages not so much. Please do not put words into my mouth. Technically I was simply wandering and looking for people to heal. Your village happened to be noticeable. You do realize you have a giant white puffball in the middle of town right? It's very noticeable. As for the sprint. My offer still stands for proving the applications of regeneration for physical exertion. It sounds dubious, and then you realize it's Magic and the magi is offering to prove it. Might make sense to let her prove such, no? If you would like proof, I can quite easily provide."

"Oh, I don't doubt you're a sorceress," the captain says. "It's just the rest of it that sounds like lies. Might just be the early evening and my own worse nature, though. As I said, have a bit of a rest, and then we'll speak again. Will you go yourself, or do you require some help?"
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 05:43:48 am by Harry Baldman »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2015, 05:47:13 am »

"Probably. Also, may I ask what charges you are attempting to levy against me and proof to of said charges? Unless I am completely unfamiliar with law in this region, it's unlawful to randomly place people within cells. If you want me to wait for you to have time to talk, I'm would be perfectly fine with sitting in a chair somewhere here, not like I have anywhere to go. Besides maybe that doctor fellow if he needs help with anything. Cells tend to be less then sanitary and it's not particularly beneficial to surgery to be unsanitary. Bodily fluids are Hard to fully sterilize. Especially residual vomit and spit. Even with fire or acid, and I don't specialize in those. Although acid is relatively efficient so long as you don't mind white floors.."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2015, 05:58:23 am »

"Probably. Also, may I ask what charges you are attempting to levy against me and proof to of said charges? Unless I am completely unfamiliar with law in this region, it's unlawful to randomly place people within cells. If you want me to wait for you to have time to talk, I'm would be perfectly fine with sitting in a chair somewhere here, not like I have anywhere to go. Besides maybe that doctor fellow if he needs help with anything. Cells tend to be less then sanitary and it's not particularly beneficial to surgery to be unsanitary. Bodily fluids are Hard to fully sterilize. Especially residual vomit and spit. Even with fire or acid, and I don't specialize in those. Although acid is relatively efficient so long as you don't mind white floors.."

"That's the spirit! You'll fit right in, by the sound of that gab," the captain says, and indicates the shorter dwarf, Syb again. She steps toward you with a serious expression, grabbing your shoulder with a firm hand. "Make this easy on yourself, will you?" she says calmly.

"Now!" the captain says to the three others with him. "Shall we finish our game? I was winning, I recall," he says, and starts to walk toward the barracks. Selma and her boys stand in the middle indecisively for a second or two, and she motions for her boys to leave as she starts to follow the captain.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2015, 06:13:41 am »

"You will provide a list of charges and proof of such, should you provide adequate reasoning, I will comply. Failing that, you will retrieve whomever is in charge of this town and explain to them why exactly you are attempting to arrest peaceful healers. Should you fail to comply with this, my vows permit me to disable you nonlethally as you and your captain are behaving similar to witchhunters."

Viri begins preparing a set of spells. A field of repulsion, to push physical objects away, a field of dispersal to dispel enchantments and spells within its radius, and finally an Aura of cramps and musclelock. It does what it sounds like it does in a radius. Affected should find movement difficult if not flat out imppssible as their muscles cramp and spasm randomly.

Viri does not activate the spells unless she is physically or magically aggressed.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 11:11:03 am by Kevak »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 14, 2015, 09:50:37 am »

((are there any windows?))
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2015, 09:56:58 am »

((are there any windows?))

Dwarves don't appear to be big fans of windows around here.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2015, 10:48:05 am »

Fine you caught me.
*long pause*

If you want to know who I am and what I am doing, I will tell you.
*long pause*

Sorry for the wait, I am trying to figure out how to tell this story
*long pause punctuated by plenty of hmm's*

Aha! Got it.

So I am a fox, but not just any fox, I am an apostle of the Fox God. The Fox God is the creator of all foxes and for a long time our existence was confined only to the Holy lands. Then one day, in a time before any of us were born, some foxes grew tired of the teachings of the Fox God and left. Now without the holy guidance of the Fox God they grew wicked and selfish, pursuing their own interests at the cost of others. As time passed they multiplied and spread, henceforth spreading their villainy and permanently tarnishing the reputation of the foxes.

Now let me bring the story to the present moment.
*long pause*

Currently, our holy lands have been ravaged by some horrible plague and I've been sent out to find a cure for it. I was hoping to discreetly sneak into the town and hopefully find some information on where to find one but as you know, that didn't work out so well.

So that's my story. So if you can release me, please do.

While Martingold was stalling, he looked around to see where he could find the doctor's knives. After finding them he slowly began to create a tendril (behind his back and therefore underneath his body and therefore hidden) that was long enough to reach the bag. He then slowly and secretly moved this tendril towards the place and grabbed a knife (scissors are also acceptable)

((I want to wait for the doctor's response to my story before I try anything drastic))
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2015, 02:15:13 pm »

Return to fox form, examine the map in thorough detail. Information is always important.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 06:01:48 pm by FallacyofUrist »
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2015, 05:56:57 pm »

Rev is of two minds concerning his situation. On the one hand, there is only so much fondling he is willing to undergo at the hands of mortals who are both figuratively and literally filthy (even if this cat body really seems to enjoy a good scratch behind the ears.) On the other hand, even if Tom's ramblings are well and truly mad it could conceivably provide some information that other, more respectable dwarves would hesitate to voice, and if nothing else it should prove amusing for a little while. Rev feels little danger in this situation, merely a degree of indignity. But really, what shame is there in being undignified in front of other mortals? It's not as though they were proper foxes.

Being young and not well traveled, Rev has never heard of a certain expression regarding cats and their lifespans in relation to their curiosity. Perhaps if he had, he would have chosen differently.

Rev meows, then purrs while looking Tom in the eye, hoping that storytime will not involve undue proximity to the dwarf's vomit-encrusted beard.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2015, 12:43:59 am »

((Wait, why is everyone fucking around with the dwarves? Didn't you need to get a cure for the plague thingy?
Or have you merely suffered Sidetrackitis, a common disease in HB's RTDs?))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2015, 12:46:11 am »

((Viri's gonna give everyone in the guard complex severe muscle cramps if they don't behave.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2015, 01:12:13 am »

((Wait, why is everyone fucking around with the dwarves? Didn't you need to get a cure for the plague thingy?
Or have you merely suffered Sidetrackitis, a common disease in HB's RTDs?))
I'm trying to achieve the objective.

"Excuse me sir, but it is terribly rude to not look at someone when they are talking to you."
*after his initial shock*
"What, you haven't seen a talking cat before? Now, to the point. I haven't been in this town before, and I'd quite like to know everything that you know about this puffball. I'm rather interested in it, and I need to know what will happen if a... friend of mine who likes to pop things popped it. I'd also like to know the location of magical places of interest in this town. Now, may you please stop blubbering in shock and speak?"

((Monk, if you touch that puffball I will murder you(r character).))
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 15, 2015, 06:55:28 am »

In the militia building of Crawlinghome...

Viri continues to argue her case. "You will provide a list of charges and proof of such, should you provide adequate-" she begins to say at the not particularly interested dwarves, but is interrupted by Syb giving her a very stern push that probably would have been more appropriate for a rowdy dwarf - given that Viri weighs about six to seven times less than the average rowdy dwarf, it has the effect of sending her rolling down the hallway toward the jail.

This, she would say, constitutes a sufficient breakdown of civilized discourse to necessitate some creative sorcery. Three things spring to mind - unfortunately all three are things she's never tried or exhibited any talent at, but desperate times call for desperate measures. As Syb starts to approach, Viri attempts to improvise some sort of field of repulsion on the spot, an endeavor that unfortunately seems doomed to failure, at least in the space of the few seconds it takes for Syb to step over and grab Viri by the armpit with one hand, lifting her up with what looks to be astounding ease.

"Huh," she says, then starts to drag the fox toward the jail. Okay, so repulsion did not work. Maybe she can leverage healing into some kind of... muscle cramp aura? Sounds a bit silly, and a bit far from the set paths of renewal that magical healing is essentially composed of, but worth a shot. As she gets dragged into the jail, where a jailor and a prisoner holding a cat observe their arrival with fascination, she, in a last ditch effort, attempts to force something along the lines of her intention upon the world, brute-forcing her talents in a way they weren't meant to be forced, and perhaps due to the great urgency of the situation, something does happen!

Syb, already calling out to the jailor to open a cell for their new guest, suddenly doubles over, her entire body bulging and spasming conspicuously as Viri works some form of sorcery she hasn't worked before, her hand clenching around the fox's shoulder as she falls to the ground and starts to curl up, still increasing in size at a disturbing rate. Quite fascinating, really, though it would be more so if Viri weren't faced with the new, perhaps more intriguing problem of how to free herself of the incapacitated dwarf's palpably grasping, growing flesh.

The jailor, presumably due to the rather unusual sight this presents, remains seated, eyes wide in surprise. The prisoner, meanwhile, watches with some form of morbid curiosity, and says something Viri can't quite hear.

In the doctor's office...

Martingold, hoping for the best but preparing for the worst, starts to admit his nature freely.

"Fine, you caught me," says he, then stalls for a bit. The doctor doesn't appear to mind. Nor does he seem to pay attention to Martingold's own darting eyes as they rest upon his surgery kit, where all the really sharp knives seem to be found. "If you want to know who I am and what I am doing, I will tell you," he then says as he starts to form a small, delicate tendril underneath himself, growing it out over the next series of long pauses. "Sorry for the wait, I am trying to figure out how to tell this story," he says, then makes thoughtful noises for a bit as his grasping tentacle reaches maturity. The doctor starts to frown. "Aha! Got it," he says at last, and begins the tale in earnest.

"So I am a fox, but not just any fox, I am an apostle of the Fox God. The Fox God is the creator of all foxes and for a long time our existence was confined only to the Holy lands. Then one day, in a time before any of us were born, some foxes grew tired of the teachings of the Fox God and left. Now without the holy guidance of the Fox God they grew wicked and selfish, pursuing their own interests at the cost of others. As time passed they multiplied and spread, henceforth spreading their villainy and permanently tarnishing the reputation of the foxes," he tells the doctor. "Now let me bring the story to the present moment," he says, pretending to consider the further tale as he winds his tendril securely around one of the fine scalpels in the doctor's kit, preparing it for a swing at the vitals. "Currently, our holy lands have been ravaged by some horrible plague and I've been sent out to find a cure for it. I was hoping to discreetly sneak into the town and hopefully find some information on where to find one but as you know, that didn't work out so well."

"So that's my story. So if you can release me, please do," he says after he concludes the tale, the doctor regarding him with surprising calm. A moment or two passes in which he seems to think, then he speaks.

"Yes, foxes do have a bit of a tarnished reputation. That's quite the understatement in these parts, actually. So, here is my counter offer: I will not release you right this moment, because I have a few questions to ask of you. Try not to do anything dramatic, they've got your friend in a cell. I'm just an old man, I'm sure you won't have any trouble with me. But everyone in this town knows how to fight, you know, and we're a pretty close bunch. Just behave yourself and you'll be out of those bonds before you know it," he says, sighing as he steps back a bit, walking around the table, occasionally looking at Martingold as he thinks.

"As it stands we've got one confirmed fox with at least one other potential fox in the cells, who were trying to enter our humble town under false pretenses. Not a great start. So, tell me more about yourself and your friend. And I need some more details about that plague. Also why didn't you just come to the gate? We're a fairly friendly bunch here, we just don't get many visitors, I'm sure you wouldn't have had any problem just coming in," he says, giving Martingold an affable smile. "Just indulge my curiosity and you will be free to go, I am sworn to give aid wherever I can after all."

Outside Crawlinghome...

Faer, turning into a fox once again, takes a closer look at the map, trying to get a better sense for his surroundings.

The logging camp is very clearly marked, and so is its surrounding area, complete with a height map and other such things - seems to be some kind of survey map. It shows fairly clearly that Crawlinghome happens to be in an area enclosed by woods on almost every side, being not so much on the edge of the Lands Untamed as sort of lodged into the primordial forest. Probably looked a lot different than this a mere century or two ago, judging by the apparent size of the village. It's surrounded by farmland, and judging from the elevations at work Faer would guess these dwarves have been conducting quite a bit of earthworks around here, smoothing out the land to make an artificial hill to set the village upon - quite an undertaking, one would suppose, but probably not at all beyond their engineering ability. The ditches of the farmlands to help drainage are interestingly patterned and often interconnected, and could potentially provide cover for a covert approach.

As for other things, Faer notes that the map, while meant for the wilderness, does seem to be also good enough to orient oneself within the village, although buildings within, while outlined, are unmarked. More interestingly, the map shows the existence of two other logging camps - one deeper in the woods slightly northward, one considerably further southward, apparently corresponding to prime logging locations.

In Crawlinghome's jail...

Rev looks Tom in the eye and meows, which Tom appropriately construes as interest.

"That's a good cat," he says. "I knew you'd agree. It gets really lonely in here, you know. Even with June there to keep me company," he nods toward the jailor.

"You've been here for a day, Tom," the jailor replies, rolling her eyes.

"And that's a day too long! I mean, what am I even here for?" he asks.

"You know what you did," she says right back.

"Being drunk and lonely ain't a crime! Even if you do hit on the captain's daughter in the process," he says.

"Did a bit more than that, didn't you?" June says with an air of superiority.

"Well, she was drunk and lonely too! Can you blame her? I mean, really, two young people fool around and it's me who gets thrown in jail for it. Typical," he shakes his head, then looks at Rev again. "Does that sound fair to you, kitty? Girl's all over you, you reciprocate, and somehow you're the bad guy. And the Captain, too, where does he get off, a former murderer passing judgement on-"

"Shut up now," says June. "Someone's coming."

And, true enough, someone is coming - the shorter dwarf from before that Rev listened in on along with a fresh new prisoner, one that Rev has no trouble recognizing as good old Viri. Tom seems noticeably intrigued by this development.

"Open up a cell, June," she says, and the jailor goes over her key necklace for a moment, trying to find the right one. And then suddenly things get weird - the short dwarf suddenly doubles over, still hanging on to her prisoner, and drops to the ground, pulling Viri down as well - Rev notes that an odd transformation seems to be coming over the militiadwarf, her flesh suddenly growing and grasping outward, her armor tearing and tendrils of flesh slowly creeping out of her form, seemingly trying to enclose around poor Viri in retribution for her sorcerous attempts.

"Crap. And here I was hoping this day would turn out decent," Tom mutters as he observes the unlucky dwarf's body start to lose its original shape. June, meanwhile, seems somewhat paralyzed in fear and confusion. This may provide some room for shenanigans, one would assume. Certainly a fox couldn't hope for a better distraction.

Near the vaunted sporetime puffball...

Whiskers, not about to be ignored, takes a direct approach.

"Excuse me sir, but it is terribly rude to not look at someone when they are talking to you," he says as he walks beside the patrolling watchman, who stops and looks all around, then rests his gaze on Whiskers at last, blinking a few times.

"What, you haven't seen a talking cat before? Now, to the point. I haven't been in this town before, and I'd quite like to know everything that you know about this puffball. I'm rather interested in it, and I need to know what will happen if a... friend of mine who likes to pop things popped it. I'd also like to know the location of magical places of interest in this town. Now, may you please stop blubbering in shock and speak?"

The dwarf blinks a few more times, considering what a talking cat standing before him might possibly imply.

"What the bugger-all are you supposed to be?" he asks in a rough tone of voice, failing to answer any kind of question Whiskers had in mind. "A talking cat?"

Whiskers is vaguely aware of another dwarf stopping nearby to look at the watchman, probably amused by the sight of him speaking to a feline.

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 07:03:09 am by Harry Baldman »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 15, 2015, 08:18:48 am »

Well, first of all, this is a fake voice. This is my real one. I won't tell you my name because I've heard of many spells that specifically target names and although I do trust you doc, anyone can read the official medical report that you will have to file after this session.

I can turn water into wine
and I sometimes begin to rhyme

Like just now for example. I'm not bound to do it by some specific curse, I just enjoy rhyming. As for Viri, well... I wouldn't really call him a friend. Sure it's true that I do know him, but we traveled incredibly distant from each other. We foxes are solitary creatures. The only thing that brings us together is when we perform religious ceremonies for the Fox God. Viri was not actually part of my original infiltration plan. He (or was it she?) just saw me disguising and tried to ride on my one-man bandwagon. As for who she is, Viri is a doctor with healing magic. I remember her once bragging about how she was so good at shape shifting and anatomy that if one were to cut open one of her forms, they would find the internal organs in their proper places. In a way Doc, you were lucky that we foxes are solitary creatures. If Viri and I had coordinated this plan, she would have made a perfect duplicate and then when you dissected her, you would have found a perfectly normal dwarf.

Now as for the nature of the plague. I've been told so far that it is parasites. Symptoms are thickening of the blood and reduced shapeshifting. Another symptom is higher infant mortality rates. More specifically, no young fox ever reaches the age of 50 anymore. Now before you decide that you'd rather just have these annoying fox bastards to go extinct, I want to give you some important information. It is ONLY the holy lands that are being ravaged by this plague! The heretics that you actually hate are still f***ing and spreading and developing magical powers that they then use to cause mayhem! Apologies for the language but we, the good foxes who would want nothing more than to just leave you guys alone are the ones being punished here! It's so unfair! We were the ones who still followed the Fox God and all of His Holy teachings and yet look at us now!

Ahem.....

OK sorry about that, rant over. As for why I didn't come in through the front gates. Well the simple reason is because of the stigma associated with foxes and I thought you guys worked on a "decapitate first, ask questions later" sort of motto. My original plan was to have my corpse discovered, get buried, dig out, then shapeshift into a more inconspicuous creature, like a cat for example. The rest of the plan I hadn't thought about.

While Martingold talks, he uses his tendril to retrieve the knife and then hide it inside his body.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 15, 2015, 10:52:28 am »

((I'm rather certain Viri would have had experience causing cramps. Among many many many other applications of healing magic. It's very convenient when you can force people to vomit consumed toxins or disable grabby patients.))
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14