Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14

Author Topic: Outfoxed - Chapter 1: A Sense of Direction  (Read 14536 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Outfoxed - Chapter 1: A Sense of Direction
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2015, 07:47:54 am »

On the outskirts of Crawlinghome...

Viri expresses appropriate incredulity at the prominent flaw in Martingold's corpse impersonation, as any scholar of anatomy and physiology ought to.

"... I do not believe it is normal for a corpse to be so light. Are there any local beasts or ailments that could cause that?" she says.

"I think we'll ask the doctor," says the older dwarf, following Viri from behind as she moves along. "Whatever it is, it sure ain't a usual thing around these parts."

Soon enough they have reached the gates of the village, at which point the long-haired dwarf gives a two-fingered whistle, which prompts the appearance of a helmeted head from atop the palisade.

"What's that you got there?" the gate guard asks, indicating Viri and the corpse.

"A corpse and a sorceress. We're taking them to the authorities," says the older dwarf. "To clear things up, yeah?"

"Oh, I see," the gate guard says, starting to turn a wheel of some kind. The gate opens slightly, enough to let everyone through in a single file. The interior of the village is much more pyramid-rich, having the look of a grid with oddly regular streets - in the distance Viri can see that the bit of white she saw from the distance is, in fact, some kind of enormous scaly puffball, definitely too large to be considered in any way natural.

"We'll be going to the militia building," the older dwarf explains to Viri as they all go through. "For safety reasons, you understand." She then turns to the clean-shaven dwarf. "Go and get the doctor. He'll want to see this," she says, and the clean-shaven dwarf nods, running off at a decent clip. "Now then," she says, "let's be going quickly."

In the militia building of Crawlinghome...

With all the stealth you'd expect from the above-average cat Rev inconspicuously pads over to two dwarves talking, which happens to be fairly close by. Judging from the way neither seems to give him more than a single indifferent look, he supposes they both probably don't mind cats. And their conversation does sound ominous enough to be worth listening to.

"Spore-wave's coming in any day now, they say," the taller of the two militiadwarves mentions.

"So it is," the shorter militiadwarf replies stoically, examining her sword.

"It's a wonder nobody's poked the damn thing yet," the taller one says, shaking his head.

"Not really," the shorter one shrugs.

"I mean, I didn't expect getting your hand chopped for the deed would actually deter anyone. Guess having a watchman does help," the taller one says, looking into the distance at nothing in particular.

"Guess it does," the shorter one draws out.

"Not that it'll stop anyone from putting us on guard duty anyway. Starting in the morning, was it?"

"Ayup."

"I hate day shifts. Ruins my sleep cycle. I'm always in a terrible mood after I finally get to sleep," the taller one says irritably.

"Mm-hm," the shorter one says absently, running her fingers over the somewhat poor blade of her sword.

"I get all these weird dreams when I try to sleep at night. When I can fall asleep, anyway," the taller one complains.

"Real interesting," the shorter one says impassively, turning her sword over a couple of times.

"Insomnia's a real bitch, I'll tell you. Feels like the day's taking forever. Worse at night, even, since then you can hear all these people out there doing things and going on with their lives, and meanwhile you're trapped and losing precious sleep, counting the minutes you've still got to get some good rest done," the taller dwarf continues, and the shorter one responds by holstering her sword and walking away from him without a word, instead opting to check what the three dice-playing dwarves are doing. The taller dwarf sighs discontently.

In a tree outside Crawlinghome...

Spying in style as usual, Faer slowly takes on the shape of a snow leopard, an animal almost certainly never seen around these parts. Appropriate, since he intends to never be seen either. Jumping into the natural undergrowth of the deforested areas at the edge of the village outskirts, Faer walks closer to the dwarves of the area - namely, the logging dwarves, since the ones who found Viri and Martingold have already made tracks by this point. Of course, he doesn't get too close, feeling that caution is best applied in these situations.

Unfortunately, said caution appears to have been insufficient, as after an ill-advised rustle of some drier grass-twig combination that makes up much of the nearby undergrowth, a single dwarf currently not chopping down a tree looks his way, and her eyes grow a little wide as she elbows a nearby busy dwarf to get his attention and points Faer's way. The other dwarf reacts similarly, but doesn't have other dwarves to elbow in turn, so the two of them merely gawk at his form even as Faer tries to find adequate cover to shield himself from any other curious onlookers, a task that really takes much longer in this case than it probably should. As he disappears from immediate sight, he hears a slight commotion in the logging camp.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 02:46:51 pm by Harry Baldman »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2015, 08:37:33 am »

Viri of course follows the dorfs.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 04:41:31 pm by Kevak »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2015, 10:48:59 am »

((How many people are in the room?))
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2015, 12:04:55 pm »

You're not in a room - you're still in the streets. The long-haired dwarf is carrying you, and the older dwarf is urging Viri to move forward.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2015, 02:07:20 pm »

See if there is anything metal on him. Then discreetly tap it and turn it into gold.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2015, 02:33:12 pm »

Spore wave?

Rev's desire to savage the puffball intensifies, but he manages to bite it back. There will be plenty of time for puffball popping after his purpose in town is accomplished.

As the conversation over dicing is not as likely to be as informative as the tidbit he just heard, Rev makes his way deeper into the building, where the basket-carrying dwarf went. Perhaps he will be able to find a map of the surroundings here, if these dwarves send out any patrols.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2015, 03:27:45 pm »

"..."

Life. Ah well. Continue watching, being ready to flee if any more dangerous dwarves come along.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2015, 04:40:54 pm »

You're not in a room - you're still in the streets. The long-haired dwarf is carrying you, and the older dwarf is urging Viri to move forward.
Oh, I thought we were in a room and waiting.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2015, 08:51:27 pm »

ptw

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2015, 06:49:55 am »

In the streets of Crawlinghome...

Viri follows the dwarves down the streets of the village and over into the militia building, which amounts to a relatively short walk to one of the larger pyramids in town. The rather uneven streets of the village provide something akin to an advantage for Martingold, who seems to be getting a bit restless. Managing to mask his own movements as part of the bumpy ride to his destination, he manages to turn a knife on the long-haired dwarf's belt into gold, all without anyone noticing.

At any rate the group manages to find their way into the building, which seems to have a considerably large entry hall, next to which is a barracks. The entry hall features a tall dwarf standing about despondently and glancing at four other dwarves in the barracks, one of which is watching three others play dice.

"Hey! Got us a corpse here!" the older dwarf shouts, causing all five dwarves to look their way with a surprised expression. "Two strangers, one dead, one sorceress," she then adds once she has their attention. The long-haired dwarf lays Martingold down carefully on the wooden floor, brushing his hands against one another at a job well done.

The taller dwarf, being the only one near enough to ask an audible question, does not wait to approach. "What kind of sorceress?" he asks with a raised eyebrow.

"Healer, says she," the older dwarf replies. "Was a short distance away in the opposite direction from us, said she didn't see anything," she shoots a suspicious glance at Viri, "you prolly wanna question her."

"Yes, yes, we'll take it from here," the taller dwarf says, approaching Viri for a moment, but then stopping suddenly with a contemplative look on her face, probably wondering about what the procedure is for this.

"I'm sure you will," says the older dwarf. "Captain! Get over here already!"

"I'm coming, I'm coming!" one of the formerly dice-playing dwarves probably at the older end of middle age says, walking slightly uncomfortably toward the group after a long period of being seated. The militiadwarves all stand near the corpse and Viri, regarding both with equal curiosity. "Good work bringing them in," he says, nodding appreciatively.

"I also sent Harold off to get the doctor to see what's going on with the dead guy," the older dwarf adds. "So we can maybe tell what got him, yeah?"

"Hrm, yes," the captain grunts. "Good, good. He'll want to see this," he then says, ducking by the corpse. "Clawed, not bleeding. A bit waxy. You found him where?"

"Out by my farm. He was screaming for help before me and the boys got to him. It's how we knew he was there," the older dwarf explains.

"Really? Hm," the captain says, poking at the corpse for a moment, his mustache quivering inquisitively, then looking at Viri. "What've you got to say for yourself, then?"

In the corridors of Crawlinghome's militia building...

Rev, already having scoped out worthwhile information in his short stay here, goes on to investigate where the carefree dwarf might have gone, strolling down the corridor, only to be passed by the very same dwarf on his way back. Since the corridor doesn't quite branch, it's pretty easy to see where he went - there's an armory on one side with a heavily sleeping dwarf woman "guarding" it, a smallish dining hall on the other side.

At the end of it is what is clearly the local jail, with four cells and a guard post, where another, still awake yet also very much distracted dwarf woman seems to be examining the carefree dwarf's small basket with a smile on her face. This seems to be diverting her attention from the hard-to-ignore fact that the single dwarf prisoner in the furthest cell from Rev's position appears to be mooning her and alternately howling and enunciating highly bastardized versions of old dwarf curses. The racket made by the prisoner almost makes Rev miss a different shout coming from the front of the building.

"Hey! Got us a corpse here!" goes a voice Rev recognizes as likely that of a dwarf woman. The shout appears to snap the woman out of her examination, and she looks first at Rev curiously, almost smiling at him, then suddenly notices the prisoner. "Tom!" she shouts. "You better stop that, or I swear you'll get a new crack to show off!"

The prisoner seems unintimidated, but then the woman pulls out her sword and starts walking in his direction, which is successful at getting him to disappear within the rather spacious cell. The dwarf puts away her sword, then looks at the jail's exit, then at the basket. After a moment's thought she sits down at her post with a jangle of some keys on what Rev supposes is some kind of chain necklace she's wearing. Probably safer than keeping them at her side, all things considered.

Outside an alerted logging camp...

Faer, not quite abandoning his approach, starts to move again, hopefully in a stealthier fashion this time. Circling around the logging camp in a doubly quick fashion, he takes up a watching spot diametrically opposite his previous one, and surprisingly gets a very good view of the camp this way.

What he also notices is that several of the dwarves, about four or so including the ones that first spotted him, appear to have chosen to investigate his previous hiding spot, the rest halting their work for the moment to observe what they're doing or even half-following them just in case. Must be eager to catch sight of something as exotic as him. Right now he could probably sneak into camp from this direction without much trouble if he wished. Almost makes one wonder if this sort of misdirection couldn't be done deliberately, actually, incredibly effective as it seems.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 06:55:05 am by Harry Baldman »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2015, 09:33:59 am »

Well then. Sneak into the camp, being careful to avoid being spotted. Be ready to run if any hostile dwarves(with weapons) are noticed by me.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2015, 11:31:11 am »

I'm going to take my chances with the doctor and just wait

((sorry Viri, you'll have to figure this out on your own))

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2015, 04:22:24 pm »

((Viri has it handled.))

"I am Viri, a traveling healer of the Nolshat Order. My oaths are to help any in need of healing, physically or spiritually. I was traveling towards this settlement, I think about two or three miles away when I heard screaming. As my oaths forbid me from ignoring the those in need, I sprinted towards the screams. I found presumably the origin of the screams surrounded by those dwarves who just left. Based ob what wounds I can see, it was a wild animal of some sort, however the physical properties of the corpse have been stated as abnormal by the dwarf who carried it. Apparently it is abnormally lightweight and the wounds are apparently somewhat waxy and completely lacking in blood. As of yet I have not been allowed to touch the corpse so I cannot confirm or deny the oddities. However the lack of blood is something I can confirm visually. "

"Assuming you wish to know how I sprinted three miles, a lesser known healer's art is direct repairing of the muscles. Allowing for states of high exertion for long periods of time."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2015, 04:39:33 pm »

((Viri has it handled.))

"I am Viri, a traveling healer of the Nolshat Order. My oaths are to help any in need of healing, physically or spiritually. I was traveling towards this settlement, I think about two or three miles away when I heard screaming. As my oaths forbid me from ignoring the those in need, I sprinted towards the screams. I found presumably the origin of the screams surrounded by those dwarves who just left. Based ob what wounds I can see, it was a wild animal of some sort, however the physical properties of the corpse have been stated as abnormal by the dwarf who carried it. Apparently it is abnormally lightweight and the wounds are apparently somewhat waxy and completely lacking in blood. As of yet I have not been allowed to touch the corpse so I cannot confirm or deny the oddities. However the lack of blood is something I can confirm visually. "

"Assuming you wish to know how I sprinted three miles, a lesser known healer's art is direct repairing of the muscles. Allowing for states of high exertion for long periods of time."

The militia captain looks at you curiously.

"You sprinted three miles in... how long?" he says, glancing at the older dwarf.

"A couple minutes?" she offers.

"Interesting," the captain notes. "Where were you going, then?"

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2015, 06:17:54 pm »

((Viri has it handled.))

The militia captain looks at you curiously.

"You sprinted three miles in... how long?" he says, glancing at the older dwarf.

"A couple minutes?" she offers.

"Interesting," the captain notes. "Where were you going, then?"
"I think I said that already. I was headed here."

"And yes. Somewhere between two to three miles. A mile isn't actually that far of a distance, it sounds like it's long, but then you walk a mile several times and you realize it's not quite as long as once thought."

"If you would like me to show you applications of directly regenerating body during strenuous activity, I can provide a few hands on examples."

((Seriously, nobody ever considers how OP healing is. You can lift something and heal the bones and muscles and tendons as they strain and tear. Allowing you to lift massive objects. Or you can run and repair the body as it gets damaged from exertion, allowing long distance sprints with minimal effort. The biggest problem in that case is actually oxygen input, which can be solved by repairing the lungs if they overstrain and altering oxygen absorbency. Regeneration is possibly one of the most overpowered superpowers out there. With proper application, it gives you the strength of the Hulk and the speed Flash would have if he actually followed the laws of physics.))
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14