Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How does dumping work?  (Read 757 times)

MaxZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Doot doodoo de doo
    • View Profile
How does dumping work?
« on: July 05, 2015, 09:20:51 am »

I have four lovely dumps for unwanted stone in a rather deep section of the fort. I'm trying to figure out why the dwarves trundle right past them and insist on throwing the rocks into the far side of a murky pool. There are no designations in it asides from the 'no traffic' limits I stuck on it to stop dwarves drowning when it thaws after freezing.

Anyone know whats going on here?

Cheers

herocrafter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How does dumping work?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 12:58:58 pm »

If I remember right,  at work atm, but for dumping you need to include in the dump zone a tile for the dorf to stand on. 

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 07:16:59 pm »

Pictures would help.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 08:02:05 pm »

"Designations" are different from "zones", which are used for dumping. Check if you've enabled "garbage dump" on a different zone (e.g. water source, fishing, plant gathering, etc.).

Dwarves will choose any available garbage dump zone when performing a dumping job. There is no easy way to convince them to use one garbage dump zone for stone and a different garbage dump zone for vermin remains. You'll likely end up with both stone and vermin corpses in both dump zones.

soulsource

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 02:04:13 am »

Dwarfen Job assignments are odd. I've got a rock stockpile next to my mason workshop, and my haulers happily wander down my pump stack maintenance shaft down to the magma sea to pick up rocks from there, completely neglecting rocks next to the stockpile...

For your garbage dump situation the only suggestion I can give is to temporarily disable all dump zones you don't want to use.
Quote from: Porkins Windu
Really, DF and Metal are practically the same. Drunkenness, Death, Depression, Depravity, Despondence, Demons, Dementia, Darkness. And thats just the D's!

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 03:00:46 am »

Most probably you designated the pool ad a fishing zone and accidentally as a garbage dump.

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 11:31:38 am »

This is probably the best and easiest to follow explanation you'll find about dumping, scroll down to 4 garbagedump, but honestly ALL of his guides are worth a read.
http://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/2n9p3u/mechanixms_guide_to_better_stockpiling_part_3/ and also http://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/2no65v/stripping_and_pitting_caged_enemies_a_guide_by/ which is specificly about stripping and pitting caged enemies, but again illustrates dumping concepts very well.
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.