Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Fantasy TBS/RPG Game recommendations?  (Read 5538 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy TBS/RPG Game recommendations?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 08:06:43 am »

Dark Queen of Krynn. They're also based on D&D.
Surely, You're joking? DQK is goldBox game from all the way in 1992. It's based on AD&D and is about as closely related to 5th Edition (or, even 3rd edition, as seen in ToEE) as a T-rex is to a chicken. (Not that there's anything wrong with a T-rex, if that's what you're in the mood for now, but from modern perspective it's woefully underdesigned)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 12:00:52 pm »

Surely, You're joking? DQK is goldBox game from all the way in 1992. It's based on AD&D and is about as closely related to 5th Edition (or, even 3rd edition, as seen in ToEE) as a T-rex is to a chicken. (Not that there's anything wrong with a T-rex, if that's what you're in the mood for now, but from modern perspective it's woefully underdesigned)

Baldur's Gate was also AD&D 2e and was mentioned by the OP
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 12:26:54 pm »

That's a common misconception. Baldurs Gate was so much more than AD&D2. And rightly so. unlike ToEE (or Ruins of Myth Drannor)  which stayed true to it's origins and turned every battle with over 10 opponents into a horrible slog, BG (and IWD) series made full use of the computer's capabilities to bring the game to life through RTwP. (you might not think it matters, and that's it's just "same DnD, but faster", but that also changed your tactics quite a bit.)
(also Dark Queen of Krynn is AD&D 1e, although the difference between the two is more like 3 and 3.5, than 3 and 4)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 12:37:57 pm »

Have you given Endless Legend a shot, fantasy-TBS-wise?

I played it and then a whole whole bunch of Age Of Wonders 3. Comparatively, Endless Legend has fewer dials to turn, but is a lot less of a slog towards the endgame. EL is also less war-focused and more Civ-like.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 12:41:23 pm by loose nut »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2015, 01:08:24 pm »

That's a common misconception. Baldurs Gate was so much more than AD&D2. And rightly so. unlike ToEE (or Ruins of Myth Drannor)  which stayed true to it's origins and turned every battle with over 10 opponents into a horrible slog, BG (and IWD) series made full use of the computer's capabilities to bring the game to life through RTwP. (you might not think it matters, and that's it's just "same DnD, but faster", but that also changed your tactics quite a bit.)
(also Dark Queen of Krynn is AD&D 1e, although the difference between the two is more like 3 and 3.5, than 3 and 4)

What the hell is RTwP!? You don't mean their stupid quixotic half-assed attempt to do D&D in a non-turn-based system do you? Because that was a flaw, not a feature.

EDIT:
Despite it's inferior graphics, DQK was head and shoulders above Baldur's Gate, which is nearly unplayable, for precisely that reason.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 01:15:00 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2015, 02:06:27 pm »

What the hell is RTwP!? You don't mean their stupid quixotic half-assed attempt to do D&D in a non-turn-based system do you? Because that was a flaw, not a feature.

EDIT:
Despite it's inferior graphics, DQK was head and shoulders above Baldur's Gate, which is nearly unplayable, for precisely that reason.
(Real-Time, with Pause)
And yes, that's exactly what I mean. While we might disagree on the merits of the system, I feel like we agree on the core concept: ADnD it was not.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2015, 10:42:01 pm »

Arcanum is a good one.  It's something like Baldur's Gate mixed with the original Fallout games.

Lords of Magic is kind of like Lords of the Realm in a magical fantasy world.  I don't like it; you might.

Here are some good classic dungeon crawls.  I don't know if it's exactly what you are looking for but it's worth a look:
Eye of the Beholder
Stonekeep
Anvil of Dawn
Legend of Grimrock (this one is newer)
Dark Designs (a trilogy of early DOS era dungeon crawls made by John Carmack.  Relatively primitive, but not bad for an early effort)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2015, 11:02:24 pm »

While we're on subject of dungeon crawls, I can recommend Wizardry and Might and Magic series. They are pretty much all good (with the exception of M&M 9, which was half-finished), and I can guarantee you that going through all of them would take you more than a month, at a good pace.
._.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2015, 11:02:38 pm »

Spellforce and Spellforce 2. Third person RPG and RTS mashup. Not exactly a classic, but much overlooked. It should be in the library of any seasoned RPG vet. I liked both, some people liked one over the other, not sure which.
I got nothing

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2015, 02:38:19 am »

Dungeons of Dredmor is one of the best turn-based RPG graphical-roguelike dungeoncrawlers in the under $10 range
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Blitzkrieg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2015, 04:32:23 pm »

40K Armageddon by Slitherine is a really basic game. At times it feels like a reskinned version of Panzer General, or whatever your hex-based WWII game of choice is. For me, it was a bit too much "80s TBS war game" for me to get into, and it lacks a lot of polish and flair. Very few sounds, very few animations, units look soso. I also got annoyed when I had basic mobs of orks trashing my tanks with ranged weapons. It just didn't feel very 40k, except for the name of the game, the unit names and the brief mission introduction.

I'd pass on it, personally, or at least watch some Youtube videos.

I see. I don't really like Warhammer 4k, as opposed to Warhammer Fantasy, anyways. But it was TBS and a Warhammer game, so I had some hope.

Blitzkrieg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2015, 04:33:12 pm »

I take it you've played Shining Force, Fire Emblem and all that sort of console stuff as well? Final Fantasy Tactics wasn't bad, but not exactly deep either.

Nope; I haven't owned consoles since the original Nintendo system! ;)

If you liked Master of Magic play Warlock: Master of the Arcane (and Warlock 2: The Exiled). They're basically the same game but with a hex grid and different army management.

I have both, and didn't really like either. In fact, I've played both to pass the time until the next game I liked came out! ;)

If you loved Master of Magic, Worlds of Magic might interest you. It is basically just a modern clone of MoM, all the original weaknesses and good things are still in.

I've played Worlds of Magic; and the devs seem to be over their heads, to be charitable.

Have you given Endless Legend a shot, fantasy-TBS-wise?

I played it and then a whole whole bunch of Age Of Wonders 3. Comparatively, Endless Legend has fewer dials to turn, but is a lot less of a slog towards the endgame. EL is also less war-focused and more Civ-like.

I actually haven't; but Endless Legend seems to not have much of an actual tactical combat element to speak of. That's why I had stayed away. But I may give it a go.

Arcanum is a good one.  It's something like Baldur's Gate mixed with the original Fallout games.

Lords of Magic is kind of like Lords of the Realm in a magical fantasy world.  I don't like it; you might.

Here are some good classic dungeon crawls.  I don't know if it's exactly what you are looking for but it's worth a look:
Eye of the Beholder
Stonekeep
Anvil of Dawn
Legend of Grimrock (this one is newer)
Dark Designs (a trilogy of early DOS era dungeon crawls made by John Carmack.  Relatively primitive, but not bad for an early effort)

Thanks for the Arcanum reference; though I generally do not like games that are too old (they were fun for their time, but they likely won't be fun now), this one may be worth a second look. And yes, I've played Lords of Magic and enjoyed it in its time.

While we're on subject of dungeon crawls, I can recommend Wizardry and Might and Magic series. They are pretty much all good (with the exception of M&M 9, which was half-finished), and I can guarantee you that going through all of them would take you more than a month, at a good pace.

Thanks; I will look to them.

Dungeons of Dredmor is one of the best turn-based RPG graphical-roguelike dungeoncrawlers in the under $10 range

Played that back in the day as well (damn, I really have played a lot of TBS and RPG games! ;)).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 04:52:37 pm by Blitzkrieg »

Blitzkrieg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2015, 06:43:12 pm »

By the way, anyone try Expeditions: Conquistador? How is it?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2015, 07:02:40 pm »

if you can find it, Dark Queen of Krynn. They're also based on D&D.

On the same goldbox engine i would like to point to Forgotten Realms : Unlimited Adventures.
While it's of course old, its main feature was the editor allowing players to create their own modules.

And people did so for years, and even nowadays you sometime have new modules released :
http://ua.reonis.com/index.php

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2015, 09:01:32 pm »

Just to add some opinions on Warlock: Master of the Arcane (the first, dunno bout the second) and Endless Legend:

Warlock's AI is criminally stupid. The computer will do nothing at all but spam you with weenie level 1 fodder (experience), which you grind through by the dozens for the entire duration of a war.

Endless Legend has battles play out on a tactical map, and kind-of felt to me like a HoMM game with stronger 4X backing.... But again the AI is utterly incompetent. None of the factions use their strengths or any game-winning strategy at all. There's a point on the difficulty scale where the AI just gets triple your resources and will, again, just spam you with unlimited waves of units. But this time they're more numerous and better equipped than you.

The AI has been a consistent complaint amongst the playerbase forever, with zero announced plans by the devs to actually do anything about it. Caveat Emptor.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 [2] 3