Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Good Merchants!  (Read 1288 times)

Khosan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Good Merchants!
« on: March 21, 2008, 07:46:00 pm »

In lieu of recent events in my fortress (Elves came and brought TWO elephants, which would have been awesome had I not accidentally fudged the trade with leather and goblin skull totems), I got to wondering.  What are some of the items that the merchants bring that get you all excited?

For me, the biggest are probably animals.  Exotic animals that don't appear in whatever biome I'm currently occupying.  My mayor/sheriff/every noble position thus far had a little line in their profile that said they liked Grizzly Bears, but being in a more or less badlands environment, grizzlies don't come around.  So when the Elves brought a caged grizzly I was quite pleased, and decided to take all the other caged animals in celebration (they were all eventually butchered, even the bonobo).  Even better, since all but one of my War Dogs have since been wiped out by goblins, but until they bring a male out I can't breed an army of War Bears.

Crushy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Good Merchants!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 10:21:00 pm »

Steel bars and gems (especialy raw). Much to my dismay I haven't found any raw gems lately either   :( I've had about 3 jewelers die in different forts due to that.

For some reason I always bought all the gems I can get my dwarven hands on. Even if I have a boatload of rubies.

I also have an "exotic blocks" fetish. I tend to build wells and other important crap out of stuff I can't get on the map like magnetite blocks.

Speaking of animals, in a really old fort I bought a cougar. I wanted to train him but I never got around to it. Thinking about what I've missed makes me sad.

[ March 21, 2008: Message edited by: Crushy ]

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 11:11:00 pm »

In my no immigrants fortresses, I personally like buying a breeding pair of cougars. I don't let them be pets though. I let my population of cougars get huge, and consider them to be part of my fortress's defense. My cougars usually manage to kill a goblin by themselves if they aren't bowgoblins when fighting ambushers.

What always gets me giddy though is Platinum. I always buy Platinum. Platinum is such a nice material to build throne rooms, chairs, tables, and anything else that can be made of metal out of when it comes to opulent constructed places. My first fortress is slowly gaining Platinum floors to go with it's Platinum walls, and will get a Platinum throne when I have a skilled enough Blacksmith to make a masterpiece. PLATINUM!

;)

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 11:49:00 pm »

A mated pair of Giant Cave Spiders. Of course, I paid 10000 monies for them, but that's nothing compared to having caged trained spiders that release behind enemy goblins and proceed to web and envenom goblins until my marksdwarves turn them into a scene from Hellraiser.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 01:16:00 am »

Logs.

Because I'm in a tundra with tiny coal amounts, meaning a new shipment of logs means I can smelt another 5-20 items and build new beds.

KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 02:31:00 am »

GCS silk thread.

This is because I pay for my goods with a pair of masterpeice socks made of masterpiece midnight blue GSC silk with a masterful image of dwarves in masterpiece midnight blue GSC silk.

Also, nthing the caged animals. I love caged animals.

[ March 22, 2008: Message edited by: Grek ]