Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What is THE most elaborate thing you've ever constructed?  (Read 3409 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: What is THE most elaborate thing you've ever constructed?
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2015, 02:56:08 pm »

Probably the fort built around a massive (both in terms of width and height) waterfall, though I forget its name. The waterfall itself served as the entrance way shower, fed an automated drowning chamber, served as a running water source for my hospital and internal fish processing depot, and fed a huge number of mist generators (one noteable one ran down the centre of my main spiral ramp access way) and pressure driven fountains and personal dorfwash units. Never have I used as many floodgates and levers. FPS was a bit of an issue, though not needing any pumps through the application of very careful plumbing really helped. All waste water was routed through the caverns. Many goblins and trolls found themselves lying dead down there, either drowned, or pressure washed down there into the floor at high speeds.
This is a blank sig.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2015, 03:14:36 pm »

A treasure vault.

A gold vein fully engraved leading to a sealed chamber suspended completely in magma with walls made of gem windows.

To access the vault you have to pull 8 leavers in the correct order, step onto the bridge and then pull a 9th activation leaver.

If you've done it right then you gain access to the vault and the lock resets. If you do it wrong then you get doused in magma and the lock resets (the passage way drains after you die).

The vault itself contained over 40 dwarven artifacts including a full set of candy armour and weapon.

Building the lock itself took me well over 20 hours of gameplay.

Did i mention that the entire locking mechanism is build within the magma sea to prevent tampering?

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2015, 04:25:44 pm »

A treasure vault.

A gold vein fully engraved leading to a sealed chamber suspended completely in magma with walls made of gem windows.

To access the vault you have to pull 8 leavers in the correct order, step onto the bridge and then pull a 9th activation leaver.

If you've done it right then you gain access to the vault and the lock resets. If you do it wrong then you get doused in magma and the lock resets (the passage way drains after you die).

The vault itself contained over 40 dwarven artifacts including a full set of candy armour and weapon.

Did i mention that the entire locking mechanism is build within the magma sea to prevent tampering?

There was once a numbers lock challenge, your solution somewhere to see?

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2015, 08:53:24 pm »

A treasure vault.

How do you even pull that off

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2015, 09:44:46 pm »

I embarked on a shoreline mountain once in 40d. Basically, it was a many z-level high cliff overlooking water, but with a relatively flat area to the south. I dug out a multiple z level grand hall, with the upper levels having overlooking balconies. There were large engraved pillars holding the roof, basically like Moria. Each floor was dedicated to a different fortress function. The top floor was residences, second was offices, kitchens/stills, a passage to the farms, third was military, forth was production, fifth was good and furniture stockpiles. The entrances to the fortress proper from the grand hall was defended by bridge locks, and the main entrance was a narrow, single tile walkway along the cliff face.

The Depot was outside in the plains, with a small fortification. There was an outer barracks for Fortress defence.

The whole thing died an FPS death around 150 or so Dwarves. Most of whom were drafted into the military, more as a lack of need for their abilities than anything else. I think I had only 30 working dwarves, the rest military. The majority were poorly trained, and largely armed with crossbows and bone bolts. But the sheer volume worked well enough to drive off most sieges.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2015, 10:16:27 pm »

Back in the days of 34.11 I built a goblin pong game... By goblin pong I mean a huge series of raising drawbridges designed to catapult goblins across to the other side, which then raises to launch them back or hit them mid air which didn't happen often sadly, but was spectacular when it did... It may have been a bug, maybe not, but seeing a goblin explode and pieces of it get launched across the battlefield was very entertaining.

Such a shame that 34.11 didn't have a developed morale system, I can only imagine what some of the goblins still on the battlefield must have been feeling.
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2015, 06:59:49 am »

Back in the days of 34.11 I built a goblin pong game... By goblin pong I mean a huge series of raising drawbridges designed to catapult goblins across to the other side, which then raises to launch them back or hit them mid air which didn't happen often sadly, but was spectacular when it did... It may have been a bug, maybe not, but seeing a goblin explode and pieces of it get launched across the battlefield was very entertaining.

Such a shame that 34.11 didn't have a developed morale system, I can only imagine what some of the goblins still on the battlefield must have been feeling.

I can only imagine what your dwarves would have been feeling.  "Oh look, just another light shower of goblin appendages."

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2015, 09:56:05 am »

I can only imagine what your dwarves would have been feeling.  "Oh look, just another light shower of goblin appendages."
These days it would probably be "AHHHH!! I JUST SAW FIFTY GOBLIN LIMBS DIE!!!!!" Then they'd go insane.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2015, 04:58:05 pm »

These days it would probably be "AHHHH!! I JUST SAW FIFTY GOBLIN LIMBS DIE!!!!!" Then they'd go insane.

Urist was horrified x100

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2015, 04:24:36 am »

There was once a numbers lock challenge, your solution somewhere to see?

How do you even pull that off

http://97.107.128.126/smf/index.php?topic=128610.msg4480284#msg4480284 It's all in this thread across three posts.

It's my greatest work and is the pride and joy of my favourite fortress: MachineStorm (Which features many other cool things too :) ).

I am also quite fond of my hermit dwarfs challenge fortress which ended up with all industries working, about 12 dwarfs due to births and is fully magma central heated. Tthe central heating system containing several fairly nasty forgotten beasts who's delightful screams help my dwarfs sleep at night. The whole main area of the fortress is carved out of a fully engraved adamantine spire so the dwarfs are pretty damn happy. Sadly most of the time spent on this fortress is building slabs and engraving them for the many hundreds of migrants who turn up at the surface and die to were beasts, vampires and forgotten beasts. The migrant insanity on the surface has lead to them building a giant wooden ship and a minecart railgun which shoots dwarfs into an isolated tower which comes up from the ocean floor.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 06:43:35 am by Ravendarksky »

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2015, 04:43:07 am »

It's my greatest work and is the pride and joy of my favourite fortress: MachineStorm (Which features many other cool things to :) ).

Well deserved.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2015, 06:38:12 am »

I usually go for "crude but effective" rather than "elaborate" but I'm sort of proud of that one .34.11 fort where I tried to turn the first cavern level into a dwarven paradise.

First I sealed the cavern by dropping carefully shaped chunks of ceiling along the map edges, blocking all possible entrances. Landscape was sculpted, some hills removed and the ground muddied for even fungus growth. All unwanted wild fauna was hunted down and some tame animals introduced.

Then I rebuild the entire fort inside a suitable natural rocky column, stretching through ten levels from top to bottom. All rooms had gem windows with a view to the newly pacified cavern and the whole fort was decorated by master engravers. At the cavern ground level a pair of jewel encrusted golden doors let the dwarves out to walk in the statue parks and to tend the mushroom fields and rutherer herds.

Only connection to outside world was a long double spiral ramp for caravan access, opened only when I felt like donating the dwarves' old dirty socks to those poor surface-dwellers.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2015, 06:45:37 am »

I usually go for "crude but effective" rather than "elaborate" but I'm sort of proud of that one .34.11 fort where I tried to turn the first cavern level into a dwarven paradise.

First I sealed the cavern by dropping carefully shaped chunks of ceiling along the map edges, blocking all possible entrances. Landscape was sculpted, some hills removed and the ground muddied for even fungus growth. All unwanted wild fauna was hunted down and some tame animals introduced.

Then I rebuild the entire fort inside a suitable natural rocky column, stretching through ten levels from top to bottom. All rooms had gem windows with a view to the newly pacified cavern and the whole fort was decorated by master engravers. At the cavern ground level a pair of jewel encrusted golden doors let the dwarves out to walk in the statue parks and to tend the mushroom fields and rutherer herds.

Only connection to outside world was a long double spiral ramp for caravan access, opened only when I felt like donating the dwarves' old dirty socks to those poor surface-dwellers.

This sounds really cool! Are you tempted to do something similar now that you can have giant multi z level mushrooms? I've been considering trying to see how big I can cultivate some species. It's a shame human earth days are only 24 hours in length.

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2015, 08:12:54 am »

Back in 34.04-ish I had a flat 3x3 with a ~20z volcano in the center embark square and an aquifer on one of the edges. I had planned on making it into 3 isolation forts with non-miltary on one side, military on the other, and nobles living atop the volcano. So I cast 2 smallish towers, cap the volcano with a dome and mine the rest of the embark flat.

My baron mandated that the males all build ~tombstones~ missing person signs and then go pull levers in warm 1x1 rooms, and then informed the mountinhomes of our need for more drunk midgets. All was well for a few years. Many goblins threw themselves at that tower. Some made it past the marksdwarves and into the first level. A few of the braver ones made it past the axedwarves and onto the second level. None of those made it past the maxwells (my silver warhammer squad).

Then a FB decided to join durring a siege. I forget what it was made of but it killed about half of them, got tired, and got beat to death. Some of the remaining gobs attacked my dwarves and died, causing the injured gobs to wisely decide to leave. A season later, Urist McAxedwarf dies. What the hell? He wasn't even injured. Wait, why are all the axedwarves covered in bruises? Why are you all vomiting up perfectly good wine? Why is there blood by the soap? I just shipped that over to you guys!

What is this trail of stuff going to the airlocked stockpile, the only place in the whole fort that all 3 places can ever reach?

Forgotten. Motherfuckin. Beast blood.

I don't generally savescum unless I'm doing science, but I do keep backup saves of landmark events. Like having finished the towers. So what do you do with a water pumpstack and a 20z high magma tube? You make an Orbital Retracting Bridge Initiated Total Anialation Lever, that's what! Build three water rails with two magma rails between them about 20 squares apart. In every rail leave a hole every 20 squares or so. On the level below build perpendicular rails that are 3 spaces short of meetin eachother and end them with a 1x1 bridge. Link all the upper bridges to a lever and carpetbomb the embark at will.

I can't spell on mobile, please forgive me.
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2015, 05:25:53 pm »

I have successfully pierced an aquifer three times now. The first time was a crudely-done cave-in pierce of a single level. The two more recent ones are both double-level double-slit pierces, now fully walled off with staircases going all the way through the fort. I usually don't build aboveground forts of any kind, opting instead to cap the top with a faucet-shaped hatch-cover entryway. (It's instantly sealable against building destroyers.)

The most elaborate build I ever did, however, was a multi-zone magma landmine system, constructed at great hazard in a realm of death clouds that caused anything caught in them to bleed to death in seconds. No goblin siege (of the many that tried) survived the surface anyway, but after I added the landmines there was even less reason for them to continue to show up.

I raised a pump stack from the magma sea all the way to 6 z-levels aboveground and filled a large tank of lava. Then I ran a pipe down about 10 z-levels and branched it into the extended landmine system. Each branch went to a separate landmine, some of which went through major sections of my fort. I had to put magma pipes through some of the stockpiles. The pump stack kept the magma pressurized from the magma sea. It was powered by a 1700+ power battery of water reactors.

When I wanted to unleash a landmine, I used the "mark for deconstruction" glitch to force lava through raised drawbridges down in the branch tunnels. That would allow the pump stack to force magma up the pipe and fountain the glorious hot stuff five or six z-levels above the plain, incinerating anything within a few steps of the pipe exit and setting the surface on fire to clear out even more invaders. A complicated lever system reset each drawbridge and I could stop the pump stack at will by throwing a lever to connect over 200 gears and jam the system.

The caravans never had issues because I built them a custom entryway with raised bridges and floors to protect them from the bleeding clouds and the invaders. Only one theif ever found his way in through that entrance and he got caught by a cage trap. That fort also had a legendary Butcher duchess who became a legendary lasher after training for a few months in my danger room. The fort never fell, and was eventually deleted by a hard disk wipe.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?
Pages: 1 [2] 3