Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Damn the weaponsmith  (Read 2842 times)

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Damn the weaponsmith
« on: March 21, 2008, 04:24:00 pm »

I had a weaponsmith go fey. Unfortunately, he used two copper bars left over in the forge and one adamantine wafer. Had I used those bars I would have had a full adamantine artifact weapon.

Usenrober, "Helpwiped", a Copper short sword.
It is studded with Copper and Adamantine. On the item is an image of three roaches in copper.

The value is 367200. Is it still a worthwhile weapon or just a collector's piece?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Damn the weaponsmith
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 05:05:00 pm »

It's a copper weapon, so it's not as good as iron or steel would be. But it's also a masterpiece, with the concomittant boosts, so it's still a useful weapon (especially if your other gear is base-quality iron, say). Still, now that he's legendary, you'll get even better results by having him churn out iron or steel gear (or adamantine, since you have it) and using the resulting masterpieces.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 05:15:00 pm »

That's true.
No steel here. Or flux. Or even iron. It's just copper everywhere. There is the adamantine, though. Other than that, I have to rely on the odd goblin ambush and siege to provide me with iron.

Fortunately, a caravan was ambushed by archers so I have plenty of steel armor from the poor dopes who tried to fight them.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 05:23:00 pm »

I would sell it.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Khosan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 05:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Inquisitor Saturn:
<STRONG>That's true.
No steel here. Or flux. Or even iron. It's just copper everywhere. There is the adamantine, though. Other than that, I have to rely on the odd goblin ambush and siege to provide me with iron.

Fortunately, a caravan was ambushed by archers so I have plenty of steel armor from the poor dopes who tried to fight them.</STRONG>

It's kind of a pain, but if you find any goblin armor sitting in your stockpiles, you can melt it down and get something out of it.  I haven't found any iron on my map yet, but I've gotten enough iron to supply most of my military with iron full plate, iron crossbows and a healthy supply of iron bolts with quite a few iron bars left over.

You can also take all those random steel and iron trade goods from the merchants and melt those down.  I've spent quite a bit of my obsidian goods doing just that.  Not a lot of steel yet, but the melting's a slow process.

Logan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 09:46:00 pm »

Note that you should try to do all your melting in the same smelter. The return isn't one-for-one, but the smelter keeps its fractions of bars.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 02:07:00 am »

Heh - first thing I do upon finding adamantine is dig a vault and lock it away until I'm ready to use it, so it doesn't get turned into artifact socks or a belt buckle.

Remember that you can also order iron, steel, and flux from caravans.

Also, kinda cheating, but you can save -> force-quit -> load to insure your precious adamantine ends up master quality.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 02:25:00 am »

Copper weapon damage is 50% of normal damage. Artifact weapon damage is 12000% of normal. Thus, you have a total modifier of 6000% of normal damage.

For referance, masterwork steel about 267% of normal damage.

Keep it.

[ March 22, 2008: Message edited by: Grek ]

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 02:52:00 am »

Copper is 66%, actually. Wood/Glass/etc. is 50%, so it's just a little better.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 02:57:00 am »

So did they nail down the artifact multiplier, or is that still a guess?  I thought the accepted value for artifacts was 5x damage.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 03:03:00 am »

And I think 120x is a bit high...

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 04:51:00 am »

If the wafer is treated like a metal bar, forbid the other metal bars until the wafer is the first item picked.

Before a moody dwarf claims a workshop, I usually pause the game and forbid possible materials from the stocks screen, and by using the forbid designation. The dwarf will not use something forbidden. You can get him to sit in the workshop and describe the materials he needs, then you unforbid one material at a time.

A lot of micromanagement, but its worth it to see the Steel Buckler with spikes of Obsidian, encrusted with Black Diamond, and a picture of a Goblin in Platinum. The goblin is Burning. You don't even have to save-scum to help the dwarves get the "correct" materials.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 07:56:00 pm »

Unless it's been nerfed since, it's still 120 times better.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 09:06:00 pm »

for some reason I was under the impression that 120x was for the price, and 5x for the damage.
I.E., a masterwork is 12x price and 2x damage, not 12x price and 12x damage

Khosan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 09:14:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by GRead:
<STRONG>for some reason I was under the impression that 120x was for the price, and 5x for the damage.
I.E., a masterwork is 12x price and 2x damage, not 12x price and 12x damage</STRONG>

That's what I've read.  Artifacts do 5 times the normal damage, and have 120 times the normal price.

Pages: [1] 2