Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 35

Author Topic: Immortalitytower; We Live, We Die, We Live Again.  (Read 86949 times)

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
Re: Immortalitytower; We Live, We Die, We Live Again.
« Reply #420 on: October 04, 2016, 09:56:41 am »

Spriggans' log :

"Life finds its way"

Time goes. The gates are closed. No Sighted dwarves are there. We are on our own.
We are now 28, if I counted correctly, living in the tower of Blindness.

Before I sealed the gates of the Tower, I assigned a female dwarf, 'Kate' to be in charge of the fort.
The Blinded kind will live in the tower, with myself as manager; and Kate will assume rulership for all the Sighted dwarves, in the fortress.

Kate is a good friend of mine, she volunteered for this hard task.
She will be in charge of dropping items to the tower. I trust her to give us what we need, such as materials and drinks.

Eearly summer 210 :

Kate told me that in the fortress, something amazing happened ! A new artifact ! Faiy is now a legendary Engraver, the only one in the place !

Well... That's great for the Sighted, and Kate, and all...

But we really don't care !

Because today, life found its way twice ! It was such a wonderful day in the Tower !

You've heard it ! One of the babies was mine ! I told my husband Id about that, we were so happy !
This baby was the most beautiful thing I saw. Except... you know, I can't see him. But he was so nice. His skin was so soft, and I could imagine his two little blue eyes !

And, the best is, he is medically fine ! He's not blistered nor blind yet ! That's such a relief !

Mid summer 210 :
Kate told me the other day that she saw some blinded dorfs in the fortress !

I've created 3 squads to control the blinded better, and to get them in the Tower in a more reliable way.

I also have some really good news ! The farms are now all done !
The blinded used the well to fetch water on the ground. Mud appeared and farm plots were made.
We planted some crops, and hopefully, we'll be able to make our own alcohol soon.

Here are the farms, there is grand a total of 13 farming squares !
Spoiler: farms (click to show/hide)

Okay, okay. They are not really "hygienic"... I know there's a toad and cat's pus in there... But what do you want from us crippled lepers ?!
We are 28 there ! And every single one of us is expelling pus as our skins are melting ! Of course the place is going to be dirty !
And don't forget I removed the "cleaning" job for all the Blinded to increase the dirtiness effect.

If you think our farms are un-clean, take a look at these :

The well, in which we drink everyday ! : Someone vomited there (OOC, how can a blind dwarf be nauseated by the sun remains a mistery to me...)

Or, the worst : the drake nests. A place in which we grab the eggs that we eat everyday.

So, yeah... Blinded dwarves are dirty ! Now give us a break !

Time goes. Summer's almost at an end.
We created a bigger room on the top floor.
I decided to put my quarters in there. I deserve them, as the natural ruler of the Immortality Tower.

I will also create a squad of "Blinded champions". Their barracks will be up there when I have selected them.
If I have the time, I will put an hospital up there, so that we can heal our blisters at least a little.

Brrr ! Kate told me something frightening today.
Apparently, they have spotted a giant snake lurking in the caves below us.
I hope for her the miners sealed the caverns properly.

She told me the beast destoyed a Gorlak in a matter of seconds.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Sanene is strong, we need your help, Spriggans." Kate said.
"For now, the beast is trapped inside, but it must be killed as soon as possible !"

I refused. As there is still work to be done in the Tower.
Kate turned away, apparently pissed.

But what do you want ! This beast is not our problem ! Sanene is deep underground and us, Blinded, are high up ! I don't see why we would be concerned !

End of summer 210 :

It's hot today ! Autumn is upon us, and my personal quarters are almost done.
All I need is one last statue of myself, and everything will be fine.
As the Tower's only mason, I'll make the statue. It'll be glorious.

Now, let's fetch some stones !

OOC :
Ahahah ! I died to a falling log. :P I ordered logs dumped in the tower because the Blinded needed wood.
I forgot that some dwarves, me included, were still gathering items from the drop zone. I totally overlooked that !
I'm dead now... My bad xP

But I have plans for the rest of the year, hopefully I have enough time...
Expect a change of writing style in the next release ;)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 10:06:53 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: October 04, 2016, 11:22:48 am »

I want to remind everyone playing or reading about this fort of my contribution to the design. No, not the mspaint cartoons, I'm talking about Project Fuck The World, in which every single layer of the caverns has a direct connection to the backside of the surface mountain. Should you be savvy (or dumb enough) to do so, it should still be possible to unleash any forgotten beast on the surface and pray that the weather destroy them.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: October 04, 2016, 01:43:08 pm »

- Huh, a divided rulership?

I guess we'll see what personality Kate has. Hopefully she IS a good friend, as if she is malicious she could easily wrest control of the fortress by not delivering goods and thus killing the true ruler.

- A legendary engraver, huh. Hm, I guess it might be useful for getting rid of ghosts and laying minecart tracks quicker. Or was that labour stonecrafting?

- Surprised at Asobilash having a positive reaction to the blue eyes of her baby, given the fate of migrant squad. Oh well, there's plenty of horrid goo around the well, I wonder if she'll be overjoyed when baby goes there?

- Kate saw some blinded dwarves....Not migrants? Is there still a reason to go out over the mountaintop?

Well, you can assign adults, I suppose, but blind children do as they please.

- What a wonderul place to raise a child. Though above-ground tiles will never be cleaned anyway by dwarves - you need mist, water flow, magma or construction/deconstruction iirc.

- Pretty dark red goes pretty well with brown, huh, much like lighter red goes well with gold.

Still, typical overseer extravaganza at the cost of the fortress.

...Well, no, typically there's windows, and just 1 overseer, not two at the same time. Asobilash has the sky, but not eyes to see it.

- Sanae? An one-eyed snake? Oh wait, Sanae doesn't have one of those, different person :P

It sure loves biting down and eating the appendages, though.

Oh right, Asobilash was decent at fighting. Was the way to aboveground ever closed?

Was this one of those forts where caverns were open to the rest of fortress as well, only sealed by doors? Not sure....I think the outer depot bridge suggests no.

Kate is a good friend of mine, she volunteered for this hard task.
She will be in charge of dropping items to the tower.
Well, I didn't expect this method of assassination.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 01:44:46 pm by Fleeting Frames »

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: October 04, 2016, 02:10:47 pm »

I fully intend to find the log that killed the Blind Tyrant, carve it into a rendition of him being struck down, and putting it in the tavern. Presuming, of course, we have a tavern.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: October 04, 2016, 03:14:06 pm »

You could also make log-gun and kill things with it. Wonder if you can get it become a named artifact if a hauler kills enough stuff with it when taking from 1 stockpile to another?

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: October 05, 2016, 04:34:32 am »

Id's log :

"I'm the saddest dwarf in the world"

My wife died. Everything ends.

Dead... She's dead...
It was an accident, they told me. A log fell on her head and killed her.

Oh, did I love my wife...
Six months ago, when we both lost sight, she was the one who gave me the strength to continue living.
If that wasn't for her, I would have gave up, and would have thrown myself in the Volcano to end all this.
She was my reason to live, and now she's gone.

But I won't end my years just yet. I think I can find some strength in myself to keep living.

I have a son ! He's lost his mother and needs me. He recalls me my wife and that makes me sad, I don't feel like holding him in my arms, the pain is just too big.
But I do have a son ! And when he grows a child, maybe by then I'll be able to stand by him.
I have to stay alive to see him growing.

Oh... And also : as Spriggans' husband, I am now the ruler of the immortality tower...
What a burden !! I don't want to ! I'm not a ruler !!!

It's been several days since my wife's death now.

I asked (begged really) the Sighted dwarves to open the gates of the Tower, but they didn't answered and laughed !
The doors are locked from the outside... Looks like we are trapped in there. I don't know what to do...

And also, someone made a wooden casket. We buried my wife this morning.
Everyone was sad. I cried a lot.

"Spriggans called this place the Tower of Immortality" I said in farewell.
"She was wrong..."

« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 04:50:03 am by Spriggans »

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: October 05, 2016, 04:36:24 am »

Kate's log :

"The tide is turning !"

I'm now in charge of the fortress !

Before Spriggans rulership, I volunteered for being the overseer of the fortress.
I'm a natural leader, and I find craftdwarfship, fortress defence, and hard work to be very important.

Elections were made, and because blinded dwarves were so many, Spriggans got elected, and not me.
Fine, fine ! She could be a good ruler, after all. Let's see how she rules without eyes !

What did Spriggans do ? Nothing ! She hid in her tower all day along ! She didn't speak to us, fortress dwarves at all ! She only cared about "her beloved blinds" !
No progress was done on the fortress. None. Only her tower expanded !

I tried giving orders to the dwarves of the fortress, but I had no authority since I was not legitimate.

After some time though, Spriggans took all the blind lepers with her in the tower, and made me ruler of the fortress ! Finally ! I was legitimate and could give orders.

I gave tasks, the dwarves made work, but they complained about hauling jobs.
Usually, you know, the blinded dwarves used to haul stuff, not us, sane dwarves...
I said that it was fine, that at least we have more room than the blinded, and we resumed work.

Sanene arrived. I asked Spriggans' help. She didn't cared. She stayed in her hiding box.
She left us there to deal with the beast alone. She said there was more important things to do than sealing the caverns.
She was not on our side.

From this day, it was clear to me : we were ennemies.
So I decided that :

Every vision less dwarf is a scum and should be treated with no respect.
Every blind dwarf must bow to the Normal dwarves, and do as they say. They will perform hauling tasks and will not be allowed to complain.
Any blind dwarf currently in the Tower will remain inside until their death. Any escaped will become a slave.
Anyone not respecting these rules will be killed. That's starting with Spriggans.

On the same night, I met many blind opposed dwarves. There was many of us. We were all tired of hauling stones to build a place we are not allowed to. We plotted an unfortunate accident to bring down the tyrant.

This day, the tyranny has ended ! I took the heaviest logs I could find, and I threw them on Spriggans until she was dead.
The old ruler died. I'm the one in charge now !

Prepare yourselves, blinded kind !
Our time has come.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 05:15:04 am by Spriggans »

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: October 05, 2016, 08:19:17 am »

I want to remind everyone playing or reading about this fort of my contribution to the design. I'm talking about Project Fuck The World, in which every single layer of the caverns has a direct connection to the backside of the surface mountain.

Interresting... :D

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: October 05, 2016, 11:48:10 am »

Hm, is Id vulnerable to stress?

Portalfount will be truly alone when he turns melancholy.

Heh @ pun.

So you did split up. Does the tower have any clay gathering, either natural or created?

Shouldn't Kate still be overseer? Since, you know, she's in charge. A murderous overseer, maybe, but compared to the ones who dump all kids in magma she's fairly clean. Unlike the blind lepers wallowing in filth in their tower.

Though a thought occurs: If you very carefully instigated a loyalty cascade, could perhaps actually make sighted dwarves kill blinded on sight and vice-versa.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: October 05, 2016, 11:50:28 am »

Wow, Id actually made me kind of sad. But I'm loving your updates, man! Keep on going!

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: October 05, 2016, 12:51:29 pm »

Sorry bout the absence. I'll get around to updating the turn list and other OP-related stuff tomorrow.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: October 05, 2016, 03:29:27 pm »

Sorry bout the absence. I'll get around to updating the turn list and other OP-related stuff tomorrow.
Yay ! You're back ! :D

Does the tower have any clay gathering, either natural or created?
Nope. The fortress does. I dumped a bunch of clay boulders (like 200).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: October 05, 2016, 03:48:25 pm »

I see. You could perhaps create a zone inside the tower, depending if the air biomes are clay (or perhaps sand). Would make it self-expanding.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: October 06, 2016, 03:59:28 am »

Kate's log :

"Fuck the Tower"

It's now been a month since Spriggans' death.
We have closed the access to the dumping hole, and the Tower is surely slowly dying.
In the fortress, we started digging a big temple room, which we will fill with many statues and cages and such.

This night, my spies told me about the situation in the Tower : things have indeed changed a lot.
A new ruler is out there : Id; former husband of Spriggans.
But Id is weak. He has no authority and no control over his men. He is also very affected by the death of his wife, my spies said.
According to them, Id doesn't give orders, he spends his days mourning his dead wife...
This is good for us !

But, the truth is, we fear the Blind. You see... They sometimes escape their tower. How ? I don't know ! They somehow climb down and go inside the fortress.
The Sighted dwarves are then disgusted by their repulsive appearance. It makes them dizzy and they complain a lot.

The other day, Urist saw this blind fucker 'Asmoth II', partying alongside us ! How rude !
He ruined the party !

This cannot last any longer. Blinded kind can no longer be tolerated.

I conducted a meeting with the most gifted engineers of the fort. One of them, 'Taupe V', had an idea.
Taupe called this "project Fuck the World", but after a little brainstorming, we all agreed on the name "project Fuck the Tower".
The project was simple enough.
The situation is easy to understand and can be resumed with this picture :

The Fortress is beneath the surface, safe and sealed.
The Tower is above the surface, safe and sealed.
The Tower has one well, fetching water all the way down to the third cavern.
The well hole goes through caverns 1 2 and 3. It is sealed so nothing from the caverns goes in the staircases.

The plan was very easy too, and can be summed up like that :

We have very little to do :
  • On the first picture, create bridges B1 B2 and B3; opening the caverns to the staircase system on demand.
  • Create a tunnel (here in red) from the well hole to one side of the Tower.
  • Create one bridge, controlled by a lever, at point L2. This bridge should release the caverns to the surface.
  • Create one bridge at point L3. This bridge should release the caverns inside the Tower.
  • Convince Id to open one of his Tower walls to our tunnel (next to point L3).
  • Create a safety bridge at L1. Just in case.

There are some possible flaws to this design though :
  • If B1, B2 and B3 are open, any flying beast can potentially fly to the surface using the well hole. It's no big deal. The Tower is not flyer-safe, our fortress is.
  • If a creature jumps down from the tower inside our courtyard, we will have to kill it ourselves.

But the good points are :
  • The Blinded will suffer, and hopefully die.
  • Sanene will be happy.
  • Maybe the Blinded will manage to slay Sanene, so we won't have to.

The project was adopted by us all. And work started immediately.

Early Autumn 210 :

Merchants have arrived. They have unloaded their goods in the Depot beneath the Tower.

I decided to lock them inside, for their own safety.
Indeed, project Fuck the Tower is almost done. I'm going to release the caverns soon. I just need to breach the caverns.

Is everything ready ? Yes ? Alright...

PULL THE LEVER !

OOC : With the merchants, I have the possibility to trigger a loyalty cascade. What do you think ? Could that be manageable ? That might be a little extreme. I'll see how Sanene does first.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 05:14:17 am by Spriggans »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: October 06, 2016, 06:47:44 am »

Another fuck the world? Geez.

Though...it is neat how it makes little sense if you've never read the story. First there's the building of a grand tower, then killing everyone in it!

Managing the loyalty cascade would require tons of micro at minimum, though it might be helped by dwarves being blind and thus unable to see the injustice.

Or maybe it'd be made harder by the blindness. I don't know.

Up to you.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 35