Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dig Down into the Ground or Straight into a Mountain?  (Read 11329 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Dig Down into the Ground or Straight into a Mountain?
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2015, 08:53:23 am »

I prefer digging into a mountain, but find the lack of steep cliffs make it less than it could be.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

a troglodyte

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2015, 08:59:50 pm »

I've been doing 2x2 embarks in the most recent version, so I prefer digging straight down on flat maps. Digging into a mountain means I either lose too much of my map to empty space or put my entrance really near the map edge. Plus, flat areas give really nice, consistent layers to work with.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2015, 09:11:27 pm »

I like digging in, then down. But, lately all I've found are shallow hills, not real mountains, and I can't seem to find a site that excites me in any way.

then again, even when I do start a fort, the game crashes on regular intervals, so I've been getting a bit discouraged from that.

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2015, 07:33:08 am »

Also, mountain is better for horizontal defenses such as magma or ballista traps.
Ballista traps? As far as i remember, balissta are not shoting on other z-levels (down or up). My current fort seems to prove it (i have some ballista based defenses), but meybe you are speaking about some other type of traps?

I like to dig down, it' just easier to make minecrarts from and to aboveground AND you do not must terraform mountains. Usualy in good developed fortress i have courple isolated towers, accessible only from underground and main fort with 3 wide walls and stairs INSIDE wall. Even when i lost my main above fort, i can still deal with it (and usualy drown atackers inside fortress).

When i am setting myself on side of mountain it's harder to do, but when i rarery doing it, i have courple entraces, only because my millitaria are usualy too weak to fight off enemies AND it's more funny to explore fortress as thief/assasin using not main entrace.
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.
Pages: 1 [2]