Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Roll to form a Cult: Round 4  (Read 15008 times)

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to form a Cult
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2015, 01:14:04 am »

((Fair enough. They do seem to have an ingrained system for shamanism so they may have some other divine beings up their metaphysical sleeves they can call on.))
"Great, another dragon's coming. Can someone fetch the god of dragons?"
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2015, 09:46:34 am »

((Hah ha  :) ))
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 16, 2015, 07:40:16 am »

((What do we do now?))
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 16, 2015, 07:47:04 am »

(( I will Pm spoon now.))

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 16, 2015, 08:31:54 am »

Is there any room left for new players? If so,

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 16, 2015, 09:13:16 am »

((Saber! I haven't seen you for so long!))
Money!

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 16, 2015, 09:27:26 am »

Yes, I was once known as Cimag, Granter of Magic! It was that blasted Relopsews, Destroyer of Magic, who did this to me, all because he believed that mortals do not deserve and cannot handle the power of magic.

But now I am back! And this time I will do it right! I will spread magic throughout the world, if I could gain enough joy, happiness, wonder, and other positive emotions, and once more have my flock increase mortals' (and immortals') prowess with magic.
(17)
You glare at the Lurker, who keeps an amused eye on you, seeming content to wait you out, you only have a limited window of time to work with after all.

Your impromptu staring contest comes to an end when you throw your last material possession at him, a powerful magical sleeping draught, concocted by one of your Arch Wizard Priests, back when magic was in vogue.

While it doesn't quite work on a creature of the Lurker's calibre, the fumes give him a severe coughing fit, purple mucus spewing everywhere. Interestingly, the draught also seems to have interacted strangely with his alien biology, and he howls incoherently about "pixies" as you slip past.

You'd have loved to investigate further, but time waits not even for the gods. Not yet anyway.

You spin around on your heel and find yourself in a cave. Flames flicker as three tribal shamans perform what appear to be a ritual dance, their shadows looming large on the walls. You see crude cave paintings depicting various scenes from history. A cadre of your elite wizardpriests slaying an entire dragonflight. The great flying city that the dwarven enchanters made, before it crashed down in the centre of the elven forests, brought low by the working of Relopsews. The great libraries that you and Vashna slowly accumulated over countless years burnt to cinders by the Mezujin's followers, duped by the sly Relopsews.

Your followers exiled from their homes, cast out to sail the oceans until finally they found a new home, a frozen hellhole of some sort.

You seem to have appeared in the center of what seems to be some sort of religious ritual, presumably dedicated to you. The people crowding into the cave appear to have partaken of narcotics, their eyes glazed, they mumble incoherently and stare at their hands, mystified. Interestingly however, a unusually large percentage of the crowd visibly reacts to your presence, eyes widening at the sight of you. You hear murmers along the lines of "wow, this is really good stuff, it's like Cimag was really here!".

The three shamans, while also appearing to be drugged, react somewhat more coherently to your presence strangely enough, prostrating themselves before you.

"Great Cimag! You have returned! We, your people have long awaited your return, keeping alive the old ways, the true ways, your ways! Gives us your blessing on our venture to strike back at the flock of that foul Relopsews who brought you low! Even now our expedition fleet is being readied!"

Your divine intuition is telling you that the spokesperson is full of it. If they kept the old ways alive, why do you only have three worshipers? Worse, this group doesn't boast even a single mage. Most importantly, the shaman who spoke, who appears to be a leader of some sort, is not one of your worshipers, though the other two are. You sense a certain youthful ambition from him, he might have simply taken the position of shaman to further his own agenda.

You are a Hungry Poltergeist (25% satiation, Rank 1, 3 Worshipers).

Your sphere of magic encompasses a large amount of subject matter, and thus the specific abilities it grants your are extremely limited. However, you can easily teach magic to mortals and have a easier time manipulating existing magical constructs or interfering with spells as they are cast.

I was once known as Lysandra, Goddess of Corruption! It was that filthy Mezujin, all because I corrupted some politicians of his.

But now I am back! And this time I would do it right. I will bring forth an age of corruption! If only enough lies can be told in my name and my underlings once more corrupt the masses!
(6)
You sidle past the wheezing Lurker, but slip on some of the mucus he spewed earlier, losing your balance. Your fall into the pile of slime, falling through it, and continue falling. You're just beginning to be worried that you might have tripped into some sort of bottomless mucus hole, when you hit the ground with a wet squelch.

You're just getting back to your feet, when you notice you're trapped in some sort of glass dome. You hear a faint tolling of bells, like the shattering of glass, the celestial alignment is at an end. You shiver slightly as the fading energy rushes through you like a river of ice.

Beyond the dome you see a heavily cluttered room, scrolls and tomes lie everywhere, each seemingly more esoteric than the last. Dwarven tablets, draconic slabs, elvish scrolls, and various other things you cannot recognize at a glance.

Amidst this mess is a suprisingly prim looking man, dressed in elaborate robes of office, a bureaucrat your instinct tells you. Rolls of fat are slimmed down by expert tailoring but you can still see the decadence oozing from his frame. His face is a flawless mask of calm as he examines characters scrawled on a piece of bark. Is that squiddish?! This man appears to be quite learned. He is sweating profusely, the hand not holding the bark almost absently wiping at his brow with a fine handkerchief.

A quick adjustment of his spectacles and he turns his attention to you. "Ahem, yes. You should be Lysandra yes? Oh great"- you cannot help but note a distinct lack of respect in that great-"... slimy one, my name is Pasarl, I have summoned you to beseech you for assistance. You see, I have been skimming some money off the top of the funding meant for maintaining the coastal forts. I was somewhat over-enthusiastic and took too much, my superiors have noticed, and worse, they actually care. I think I might have offended someone important accidentally somehow. Help me out of this pinch and I'll gladly become your *ahem* worshiper. Do we have a deal?

Oh yes, and you'll notice that that the, *hem*, dome and carpet block your passage. A mere precaution. Gods, fallen or not, can be quite tricky things apparently. If you agree to my terms, just sign the magically binding contract I've left inside with you. If not, I'll leave you here to rot."

After confirming that escape is impossible you consider your situation. The dome, you wish you knew what it was made of, it's quite fascinating, but not really your bailiwick sadly. The carpet seems to be the skin of a furred dragon, and was probably ridiculously expensive, the strange creatures had gone extinct before you were sealed. Probably a heirloom. Yet this 'Pasarl' seems to have underestimated you. You are not quite a fallen god. You feel a thin thread of faith reaching into your prison, empowering you. He is under pressure, you could try outwaiting him, forcing him to give better terms.

Like swearing obedience in exchange for saving him. Risky of course, since he might solve his crisis on his own somehow, and no longer have any need of you. Or get executed for his crimes or something.

The third option, is a long shot, but you think with sufficient time you might be able to break free from your prison, slowly corrupting it until you can smash it like fine porcelain vase.

You are a Starving Poltergeist (5% satiation, Rank 1, 1 Worshiper)

Corruption allows you to bring about the decay of material matter at an accelerated rate, or force it where there is none, metals rust, food rots, stone crumbles to dust. You can also degrade the moral character of mortals. The accountant who resisted his impulses, might with a nudge from you begin embezzling. That military commanders becomes just that much more ruthless, ordering the slaughter of civilians.

"Granted."

Daljinn snaps his fingers, and [GM willing] Shrunkle's clothes fall to the ground in a heap around a large, obsidian-looking egg.  He steps out of the circle, picks up the book of dread demonology and hides it somewhere in the room (no pockets on this genie), then steps back into the circle.

The egg hatches, revealing a glassy-scaled reddish hatchling dragon.

"Is your will not done, master?  You have a long and terrifying life ahead of you.  Why, in a few years you may even learn to breathe fire.  Unless, perhaps, you are less than satisfied.  I could grant you another wish - but your binding only guarantees you the first.  For another wish, I require a sacrifice.  What will it be?  Your wish, after all, is my command."
(13)

A mere snap of your fingers, and the warlock's form begins twisting. His screams of pain form a pleasant accompaniment to the main show as his body writhes into the confines of a far too small egg. In the end you had to brutally force his entire body to squeeze inside, but finally it was done. You took a brief moment admire your handiwork, a perfect replica of a dragon egg. Even a brooding mother wouldn't be able to tell the difference if you switched this with the genuine article.

In the end it takes over an hour for the egg to hatch. You take this opportunity to peruse the book. As you read further, everything you find agrees with your own divine knowledge of the workings of reality, and you even learn a few new tidbits, and it becomes more and more certain that this was penned by a master of his craft. As such, it's rather disturbing when you get to the end, and find precise and detailed instructions for unsealing the "Devourer of the Gods". You have no idea what that is, and the book is suspiciously lacking about it, but the name alone is rather ominous. You begin connecting dots between this "devourer" and the sudden disappearance of the presences of the gods who maintained the Aether Cage from the other side.

The warlock, or perhaps more accurately hatchling, eventually manages to extricate himself from the egg, and is very clearly not pleased. He squawks at you angrily, having become incapable of speech. You say your part, but begin to be worried that further negotiations might become troublesome with one party being incapable of communicating. He seems to have become much more on his guard once he noticed his book missing, but still seems game for another attempt at this. Fortunately the hatchling seems to be smarter than you first took him for, eventually manages to write out words on some parchment.

"Make me an adult dragon you dolt. If you pull any more tricks I'll flay your skin and freeze your soul."

Hmm. You are still quite incapable of turning him into an adult dragon, but you might be able to fake it well enough. You could pump up his size for example, and he'll be as big as an adult dragon certainly, but lack any of their other abilities. Such as breathing fire, tyrannical draconic strength, tough scales and so on.

Also, you think his threats are probably a bluff. Probably.

You are a peckish physical poltergeist (30% Satiation, Rank 1, 1 Worshiper).

End of Round Three

((I might work something out for the new applicants, so keep an eye on the thread, I'm mulling over ideas))
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 11:50:18 am by Demonic Spoon »

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 16, 2015, 09:46:21 am »

Okay then I will do the whole book production plant thing I did before.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 16, 2015, 11:29:19 am »

Start of Round Four

My next turn will be to go into one of the places where whatever holy book that the Luminance uses and copy illegal book's writing into them.
(5)

You discover that the holy books are guarded by protective magics, and as a result fail. They merely took you by surprise this time though, and you're confident that if you try again you will almost certainly succeed.

Status unchanged

Infuse it so it gathers ambient life energy with every tick and death energy with every tock. Every hour it releases the life energy and makes a concentrated pill of Death for later use. If that is beyond my current power just make it so the ticking increases the creative potential and focus of all who hear it.
"Alright now it should heal things and help plants grow and stuff. Sucks out the death and enhances the life. We'll have to build a clockwork energy disposal system soon otherwise the death tank will get full. Tock." or "There. Now it will make thinking better. Tock."
(20)

By all rights, turning the clock into a construct of life and death should have been beyond your means, but you find a way, your knowledge of the secret ways of clockwork allowing you to cheat reality and achieve the impossible. The clock ticks, and a pulse ripples outward, sucking the life from the surrounding plant life, leaving it withered and dead. Then the clock tocks, sucking up the death energy from the plants it killed. The energy it has absorbed seems to be lacking however, the healing is likely to only be able to heal bruises, and the pill it ended up make was less pill and more death-infused grain of sand. Yet the clock it too fragile to handle absorbing energy particularly larger than its current amount.

The display of destructive might seems to have impressed Curna however, and the two of them engage in some very creative lovemaking right there. Ugh, biologicals.

Nectha seems happy with the outcome of that project, and has begun somehow feeding you spiritual energy, strengthening you. It's not as good as a real worshiper but beggars can't be choosers. However, all is not well among the swamp-squids, Nectha's master tells him that her spirits whisper of a great dragon, who had begun subjugating the lesser tribes that had been pushed to the edges of the swamp. She has called for a meeting of the shamans, for it is only a matter of time before the dragon invades further into the heart of their wetland domain.

Curna claimed to have had an interesting idea, and was tinkering with something next to the LifeDeath Clock.

You are a starving demi-poltergeist (3% Satiation, Rank 1, 1 Worshippers). Your power isn't worse than that of a poltegeist but you can't help feeling something is... off.

Continue seeding dissent in the priesthood and peasantry, lil temptation of the Amaglam's immortality thrown in.

Search the land for sapient undead. Former followers or created through other means. Either will do.
(8-2)
Sadly you fail to make any further inroads among the clergy, and an uneasy status quo continues.

(19-2)(14-2)
The first winter frost rimed the water bucket with ice this morning, and Gur was feeling the twinging aches and pains that come with the onset of age and cold. Slowly but surely you bring Gur over to a secret worship of you, helped on by the enticement of immortality. He begins making subtle comments at the tavern to his patrons, giving a nudge here, a push there, and finally manages to convert the local blacksmith as well. Things were looking up.

In comparison, turning the head of the village's wife was a much easier, and it wasn't long before she begun whispering honeyed words to her children. None of them have come over to your side yet, but it is surely just a matter of time.

Unfortunately you fail to find any undead at all, the Life Church seeming to have been quite thorough in wiping them out in the local area. You could range further afield, but then you wouldn't be able to take a personal hand in matters of the town while you are away, though you could still keep an eye on them.

You are a ravenous Poltergeist (6% satiation, Rank 1, 4 Worshipers)

Good ol' Turm.  I shan't let his investment go to waste.  While there are many good potential leads for faith, the marsh pearls sound intriguing and spending some time solidifying Turm's allegiance would be a smart move.  Quantity and quality are both very fine traits, but the quality of a solid dragon worshiper will surely be able to procure a great deal of follower quantity if he uses his presence to impress.
Onwards to the swamp-squid tribes with Turm!

With my divine power increased further by a strong foundation of valuables, Aruthe and the dwarven mountainhomes will easily fall under my sway!
(19)
The conquest of over a dozen tribes goes smoothly, almost too smoothly in fact. With a dragon at your back you fail to encounter any significant resistance at all, though Turm notes that closer to the center of the swamp dwell some magic-users apparently, which should probably be handled with caution, draconic magic resistance or no.

Still, the pearls are rolling in, shared equally between you and Turm, to help strengthen his loyalty to you. Their sheen is quite entrancing and you find yourself staring at your new treasures for hours. It was good to be back. But this is not enough, not nearly enough. Greed gnaws at you, and consider how to expand your wealth. You could push deeper into the swamp, increasing the influx of marsh-pearls or turn your attention to other matters.

The air is thick with spirits, and there is a faint scent of the divine emanating from the swampheart. There might be another god about, or even more than one. Caution is most definitely merited in your weakened state, but this could also be an opportunity. If you could devour another god... you salivate at the thought of how that would strengthen you.

On a sidenote, the ruthless rule of Turm has left a deep impression on the primitive swampsquids, and some have begun to worship him, and through him you. This has resulted in a loss in actual faith energy gained per worshiper, but you are sure with some re-education, and an actual attempt to spread your faith, you could gain a hefty crop of new minions from these guys. It'd also help to make the squids actually loyal to you, as currently they're being kept in line through brute force and fear.

You are a peckish poltergeist (26% Satiation, Rank 1, 9 (17) Worshipers). You are on the cusp of a breatkthrough, and you find it rather frustrating that you are just short of ascending from mere poltergeist status.

Find the most bitter monk I can, and whisper angry words in his ear.

"It's sickening, really. Vazeron must have a twisted sense of humor, if that... thing you dragged in is what he calls life.

And why is everyone so eager to help the creature? Honestly, these holier-than-thou hypocrites spend more time pampering undeserving stragglers and outcasts than they do caring for their own kind. It's about time you teach them a lesson, don't you think?"

(17)

It is gratifyingly easy work, quickening the seed planted eons ago, sprouting it into a flourishing sapling of hate, watered by bitterness.

His name is Regrin, an unwanted son, he was inducted into monk's order by his family to have one less mouth to feed. Everyday his resentment slowly piled up, and this latest irritation was enough for it to finally explode into a frothing torrent of rage. Stupid monks, stupid Vazeron.

However, what he has in small-minded pettiness , he lacks in ambition and vision or even base cunning and creativity. He needs your guiding hand to show him the way to inflict the greatest amount of misery upon his fellow monks, to have their agony feed you.

Hmm. Look at the children of the addicts, doubtless neglected and/or abused. Sow seeds of anger and resentment in them for how slothful the drug has made them. Things need a change. And change always comes quickest with destruction.
Also be sneaky about it to avoid those dang exorcists.

Once Borgun recovers, tell him (and the farmers if they're willing) to head to this city, even more steeped in corruption than the last. It must be cleansed.
And the only true way to cleanse is with a clean slate.

(1-1)(14-1)
Once Borgun awoke, he awoke in fire. Cackling insanely, he started torching the home of his two caretakers. You do your best to refocus him, and tell him to go destroy another city. The farmer couple follows behind, and seem surprisingly okay with him having burned down their hovel. As he leaves a burning trail of destruction through the countryside, you leave him with a reminder to leave some people alive to worship you, and speed on ahead, hoping to begin taking out the city from the inside, planning to stealthily slip past the notice of its inhabitants.

Sadly, stealth is not your forte, and the exorcists were waiting for you it seems. Rather than trying to drive you away this time, they had prepared a trap, and once you re-entered the city, they ambushed you, imprisoning you inside a ruby bottle.

You can only writhe about impotently as you wait for Borgun to fall upon the city, and hopefully free you in the process.

From inside the bottle you note that Borgun seems to have taken your words to heart and has converted someone, as you feel new prayer and faith flow into you.

You are a peckish poltergeist (31% Satiation, Rank 1, 5 (4) Worshipers)

I appear to Uruk's father in a dream. He is to escort his son to my destroyed temple and protect him. There, I guide Uruk so he finds the lost pieces of the manuscript.
(3)
Your dreams fail to find purchase in the mind of Uruk's father as he dismisses them as mere fancies. Undeterred, you nudge Uruk himself to return to the ruins of the temple, to hopefully find the missing pieces. The majority of the rest of the clan is scornful of his obsession, but his grandfather gives his blessing to the venture, and his uncle offers to protect him on his journey to the temple.

The two set out. It had been three days into their trek and they were resting for the night in a small cave, the campfire slowly smoldering out. It was almost too late that you noticed the two assassins sneaking into the cave, attempting to kill your two worshipers in their sleep. If not for the last minute warning you inserted into their dreams, they would have died there and then.

They are now still battling against their two assailants however, and the assassins seems to be winning. You could empower your two faithful making it a almost sure thing that they will at the very least be able to drive off the assassins, but this would be quite obviously divine empowerment, and if the assassins manage to escape, the person who sent them would know that for sure that you have returned.

You are a hungry Poltergeist (16% satiation, Rank 1, 5 Worshipers)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 12:03:28 pm by Demonic Spoon »

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 16, 2015, 11:54:55 am »

Well I meant to just absorb ambient so life and normal death so as to heal the plants but this is also useful.
"Be careful with the black sand. Not only is it pure concentrated death but it also might be useful in the fight and we don't want to waste any."
If asked for my help then give them a design and instruction for a clockwork catapult that would launch contained units of deathsand at flying enemies. If not just start making clockwork designs in the mud or something.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 12:01:54 pm by The Froggy Ninja »

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to form a Cult: Round 4
« Reply #115 on: July 16, 2015, 12:05:00 pm »

((Is Regrin officially one of my followers?))

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 16, 2015, 12:06:26 pm »

((Is Regrin officially one of my followers?))
It depends on how the "revenge" plays out.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 16, 2015, 12:09:59 pm »

Agree to the contract, a high standing bureaucrat is just the start I need. Tell him to gather some funds and to give me all the information on the case. His superiours shall be corrupted at the hand of this man

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 16, 2015, 12:20:03 pm »

Try try try again, gently down the books, marryly marryly death to the priests.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 16, 2015, 03:05:18 pm »

Try to exploit the vulnerabilities of the ruby, such as the weak points there must be near the seal or neck of the bottle, to crack it open so I may escape. If that doesn't work, then just sit tight and wait for Borgun/my other worshipers.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12