Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How long should I wait for people to post

2 days - anyone who dosen't post gets skipped?
2 days - anyone who dosen't post forages
3-4 days - anyone who dosen't post gets skipped
3-4 days - anyone who dosen't post forages
wait until everyone has posted

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18

Author Topic: Ant Colony-On a hiatus  (Read 12986 times)

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
Re: Ant Colony- Turn 2 people still welcome for the first 6 turns (11/15)
« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2015, 05:45:09 pm »

Yes, they can change as the game goes on, but only through events.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2015, 04:36:36 am »

I'm lost. Was my turn processed? What state is my colony in?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2015, 04:47:19 am »

Turn:

Evolve 50 ants: Basic Foraging
50 ants dig Storeroom in where we are now, Level 4.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 07:01:34 pm by Pencil_Art »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2015, 06:52:13 am »

I'm lost. Was my turn processed? What state is my colony in?
At the end of round one, your colony was as follows:

Player 7: Sheb
Ants: 50 normal, 50 lvl. 1 foragers, 1 Queen
Food: 95
Upkeep: 155

You can ind this by scrolling down the let side of the excel map the GM sent each of us. Player info starts at about line 108.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2015, 08:04:42 am »

Thanks!

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2015, 08:53:02 am »

Fifty Foragers Forage in fertile patch
30 Ants evolve into breeders
20 ants evolve into breeders II
Queen evolves breeding capacity

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2015, 09:05:42 am »

50 Foragers move to AV79 (Fertil Patch) and forage.
50 Normal ants move to AW81 and forage.

DAPARROT

• Bay Watcher
  • More parrots
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2015, 10:57:04 am »

Guys,don't put coordinates,just give a direction,now people know exactly where you are.
I should probably introduce the actual plot soon
7/11 guy, bringer of the apocabeepse. Uplifter of threads. Herald of the hive.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2015, 03:25:08 pm »

fillipk, I would recommend making evolution cause the evolved ants to be 3x as effective as one ant for the first evolution (or add 3 movement points), then 5x for the second evolution in the same category, then 7x and so forth, and use up 2x as much food, then 3x as much, then 4x and so forth. Alternatively, it could be 2x, then 4x, then 8x, and so on.

This would give an incentive to actually use evolutions rather than just breeding additional ants; it's more efficient in terms of food if they are able to do just that task, but if they have to do other ones that upkeep is wasted since they're only half as efficient as an equivalent upkeep in just plain additional ants. +/-50%, essentially. Further evolutions increase that to +/-67%, 75, and so on.

As an addition to this, however, I would say making reproducing cost 1 food per new ant. You have to feed the little buggers to make 'em grow, after all.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2015, 03:46:44 pm »

That's if he wants higher ant evolutions to be particularly useful. I did the math, and I think that foragers actually have a net gain in food produced over food eaten for each evolution as stands. It's small enough that you'd have to strategize your evolutions, instead of simply pumping evo points as soon as possible.

If he changes the evo effectiveness like that, I propose that higher tiers be locked until certain conditions be met: minimum population, minimum food, particular additional evo's unlocked, maybe specific queen evos.

I could see the ant breeding costing food, and the diminishing effectiveness in other areas.

I kinda recommend against adding complications to the game though. With the format as it is, new players are gonna get bogged down in minutiae (as, I believe, happened with Mercenary Fleet).

Megggas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2015, 03:54:51 pm »

Rolepgeek, while those are good points, there is a big advantage that comes along with evolving ants.  Additional Actions.  Since all Basic Ants can only be ordered to do one task a turn, you gain more actions by having a variety of upgraded ants.  That allows you to be more versatile and multitask.  As an added bonus, upgraded ants don't require more living space, like additional basic ants would.  The fact that upgraded ants become more specialized and less efficient for other tasks is an appropriate trade-off.

Also, Reproduction technically does cost 1 food per ant.  All the newly born basic ants don't get any action on the turn they are spawned, but you still have to pay the upkeep for them that turn.

EDIT: I like Ozarck's idea of locking certain evos until certain conditions are met.  It would make a lot of sense if you couldn't upgrade your ants above your queen's level + 1 (Level 0 Queen would only allow Level 1 Evos).  That would give an additional reason to upgrade your queen beyond just being able to have multiple ant types reproduce.  This would also add emphasis to killing enemy queens to weaken your opponents.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 04:02:58 pm by Megggas »
Due to Real Life reasons, I have to disappear for awhile.  Take me out of all games that I'm participating in.  Sorry.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2015, 04:14:56 pm »

Rolepgeek, while those are good points, there is a big advantage that comes along with evolving ants.  Additional Actions.  Since all Basic Ants can only be ordered to do one task a turn, you gain more actions by having a variety of upgraded ants.  That allows you to be more versatile and multitask.  As an added bonus, upgraded ants don't require more living space, like additional basic ants would.  The fact that upgraded ants become more specialized and less efficient for other tasks is an appropriate trade-off.

Also, Reproduction technically does cost 1 food per ant.  All the newly born basic ants don't get any action on the turn they are spawned, but you still have to pay the upkeep for them that turn.

EDIT: I like Ozarck's idea of locking certain evos until certain conditions are met.  It would make a lot of sense if you couldn't upgrade your ants above your queen's level + 1 (Level 0 Queen would only allow Level 1 Evos).  That would give an additional reason to upgrade your queen beyond just being able to have multiple ant types reproduce.

I like your ideas and will add them, and you are correct the main benefit of evolving is to have more groups so they don't all harvest at the same tile, because if something comes to that tile then a lot of ants, if not all of them are going to die and you won't get any food from that tile, also different evolutions of foragers are different groups.  Also the main way you get food isn't from foraging, because most of your ants eat that food, it's from the % of ants that gather extra food, so if you have 50 foragers they gather 150 food but eat 100 then 50% of them gather an extra food so you end up with 125 food after upkeep, but if you have 50 lvl 6 foragers you gather 300 food, eat 250 but then 150 of them gather extra food so you end up with 200 food.

Also I tend to do things in percentages because you can get a lot of ants, so having more ants means more of each group will die and need to be rebuilt.

Also I will update by 11:00 Wensday, my time.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 04:31:25 pm by fillipk »
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2015, 06:13:31 pm »

Eh, that's a good point for the upkeep.

Yeah, there is, Ozarck, based purely on the percentage based one. I wasn't saying they are specifically less effective, I was saying that they would essentially have less versatility for their price.

I really don't get the 'one action per evolution' thing, to be honest. I mean...you have to save up enough food to dig anything with basic ants(to ensure you have enough for upkeep), and if you're digging stuff then everyone has to be digging? I get it's to encourage evolutions, but...

And yeah, they don't need more living space, but that's a fairly minimal concern, I would think, once you get Digger Ants.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 07, 2015, 06:38:32 pm »

Eh, that's a good point for the upkeep.

Yeah, there is, Ozarck, based purely on the percentage based one. I wasn't saying they are specifically less effective, I was saying that they would essentially have less versatility for their price.

I really don't get the 'one action per evolution' thing, to be honest. I mean...you have to save up enough food to dig anything with basic ants(to ensure you have enough for upkeep), and if you're digging stuff then everyone has to be digging? I get it's to encourage evolutions, but...

And yeah, they don't need more living space, but that's a fairly minimal concern, I would think, once you get Digger Ants.
The one per evolution thing: I didn't think anything of it, because it takes 50 ants to dig one square, for instance. But that's thinking about game start, where all the ants would be needed just to do one task.

Later on, if you have, say, ten thousand basic ants, requiring them all to dig, when all you want is one room, would be bad. But by then you should have digger ants, and what else are they going to do but dig? I Am a little torn about it, but  I think it works for now, and can be revised easily enough later.

I think the one per evolution group is as much to prevent micromanaging individual ants, too. "I want 25 foragers on square x, 25 on y, 25 on z, 10 on g, and 12 on f. the remaining 13 will remain on square b. Now diggers. I want the following squares to be dug: z4 with 10 ants for 5 turns, x2 with 5 ants for 10 turns ..."

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
  • Turn to face the strange
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2015, 06:51:09 pm »

Would you create a thread for special evolution suggestions? I'd really like to see those discussions.

I'll join. Dibs on dark blue.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 06:58:08 pm by GameBoyBlue »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18