Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 57

Author Topic: You are a Dungeon  (Read 47289 times)

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Dungeon
« Reply #510 on: July 26, 2015, 01:03:28 pm »

Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: July 26, 2015, 01:04:43 pm »

Yea, as fun as it would be to fight off the militia that comes looking for the gobbos after the raid with our current setup, skeles are the de facto backbone of a necromaner's army.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 26, 2015, 01:06:11 pm »

Id be willing to purchause a hallway, and a few bats, but we're taking the idea too far too fast when we prioritize bats before the largest fight we've seen to date.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 26, 2015, 01:06:46 pm »

Im concerned that some people mayu be misunderstanding what minmaxing is :/

Merely buying critters isnt minmaxing.  Trying to override established gamemechanics to get free bats might qualify, however.

If you want to discuss terms...
Quote from: TV Tropes
The art, much beloved of munchkins, of optimizing a character's abilities during creation by maximizing the most important skills and attributes, while minimizing the cost. This is done by strategic decrease of stats believed to be less important in game (called "Dump Stats"), exploiting hideously overpowered but legal combinations of the Game System, obtaining the best toys and magic weapons accessible to a character, or by stacking flaws and handicaps until your character's Backstory looks like a Joss Whedon character's resume.

Seen from a purely mathematical and gamist perspective, it's an elegant process of minimum expenditure for maximum result.
Seen from a more narrativist perspective, the process may end up creating a character with absolutely no unifying reason to have the abilities that it does.
Even if it come from RPG and characters it is same for nation games, wargames or anything else that has generation and\or level-uping some entity using numbers.

Minmaxing is choosing the best approach to "win the game" because it is an optimal strategy numberwise without caring about interesting story or logical behavior.

Rooms\Floors\Minions\Equipment are attributes of our "dungeon character" I believe that spending half points on minions and half points on expanding the dungeon is logical way to proceed that fits the setting, while going full minions is minmaxing because this choice is dictated by optimal strategy alone.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 26, 2015, 01:11:10 pm »

I would say that no, expanding does not fit our character. Our character seems to prefer being careful. Careful means having an army, and Then going to expand.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 26, 2015, 01:17:10 pm »

Having a well-designed or heavy defense is not 'minmaxing'.  Imagine if every tough enemy could be ousted by being accused of 'minmaxing'.  And nobodys arguing that we never needs rooms ever either.

We have the largest battle of the game to date coming up, we let critters get away last time, and so much can go wrong with the goblins we dont have time to devote to rooms.

-What if the goblins turn on us?  @40 gobbos, even if half come here in a raid we'll be hard pressed as is.
-what if some militia from town come to find the raided peasants?
-What if mercs come?
-What if priests or mages exist in this game that can turn the undead?  (bats would be the obvious immediate solution then :P )

Besides, we just expanded, and have all this unused space.
PKs DF Mod!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 26, 2015, 04:47:50 pm »

You know, we've only actually fielded skeletons twice now. And one of those times, we also bought bats. I'm not against adding bats, in proportion to their current numbers in our army, which is why my pot had a mix. I'd be fine adding rooms if we had the leeway to make them useful. about the only useful room I can think of at the moment though is the small hallway. We could make two of those and station our troops at the end of each so that enemies can only filet in one at a a time, and arrive facing a horde.

We're the dungeon of an incomplete Lich King. We crave power and care little for our minions (or anyone else') wellbeing or happiness.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: July 26, 2015, 04:55:05 pm »

If someone could do me a favor, and tally votes and put the plans in one vote that'd be much appreciated. While that would be helpful its not required, and I'll be starting work on an update later today regardless.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: July 26, 2015, 09:43:13 pm »

So after searching through the past six pages, and adding up votes the most supported idea was the bat breeding room.

Day 14, Part 3
With the goblin forces gone you turn you attention to expanding the catacombs, and begin to carve out hallways and a new room. The hallways themselves are small enough, and are made to resemble the entrance hall's architecture while the room they open up into is a large rocky cavern designed to act as a nest for several new giant bats. The six new monsters quickly make themselves at home in the cavern-like room as they hang from small outcroppings or the ceiling itself.

-----

It is not until night fall that the goblins return to your graveyard, and this time they arrive in far lesser numbers. In fact as they prod about three weak looking humans into the graveyard only eight of the goblins remain aside from the blue-skinned one. Snarling the blue-skinned goblin directs the remaining ones to lay the humans on the graves, and kill them before turning to look deeper into the graveyard.

Blue-skinned Goblin: "The humanses prepare for war, my tribesmen were slaughtered against newly built walls. These wallses only stand in the direction of this burial ground, and so I, the great Rgalr, thought why would humanses prepare so well for goblinses raid? The answer is you, whatever you are hiding in this burial ground, and you let me send good goblinses to their deathses. So, where is this reward you spoke of? Or was that trick to get me to send my tribesmen to their deathses?"

Spoiler: Dungeon Stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dungeon Management (click to show/hide)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 26, 2015, 09:51:18 pm »

We promised them a reward. Or specifically the Blue One.

Unlock Surpass Death and grant it to the Blue Goblin.

Speak to him.

"Death does not hold domain within these hallowed graves. The fallen may rise once more. Fully Living. Or Partly Dead. Bring the bodies of your fellows, one a day may be brought to life once more, Aware of themselves. And in control of their own fate."

((I would assume Defy Death could work on any corpse. Not just a minion.))

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: July 26, 2015, 09:53:27 pm »

Defy Death does work on anyone. Surpass Death also works on anyone so long as they remain inside your domain.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 26, 2015, 09:57:10 pm »

((Good. So we can raise his great grandpappy if he wants us to.))

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 26, 2015, 11:18:51 pm »

Speak to him.

"Death does not hold domain within these hallowed graves. The fallen may rise once more. Fully Living. Or Partly Dead. Bring the bodies of your fellows, one a day may be brought to life once more, Aware of themselves. And in control of their own fate."

I don't really like using Surpass Death on a mere goblin, but I'll +1 this anyway. Let's unlock Item Analysis too, since we have the XP for it.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 26, 2015, 11:20:03 pm »

The gobbo seems like a mage. Also its a Strong Willed Character. We wouldn't be able to speak to it if it weren't.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 26, 2015, 11:20:40 pm »

Speak to him.

I don't really like using Surpass Death on a mere goblin, but I'll +1 this anyway. Let's unlock Item Analysis too, since we have the XP for it.
Indeed, +1.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 57