Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Has anyone tried a mining death squad?  (Read 3169 times)

TeDDD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Has anyone tried a mining death squad?
« on: December 06, 2007, 02:16:00 pm »

Like, start a new fortress with 7 miners, minimal food but lots of booze, and work them to death mining the rooms and channels you want.  Afterwards, you reclaim the fort with a new party and actually set up workshops and farms.

I've considered doing it.  I'm evil, yes.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone tried a mining death squad?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 02:23:00 pm »

I do that sometimes, I consider it a "prep party" assigned to dig out some of the main colony. The only problem with doing it is that its kind of cheating, also any spaces you open will be full of critters. Also skill selection is less precise when making reclaim parties.

But other than that theres nothing wrong, though it is somewhat unfluffy.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

MJ working

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 02:27:00 pm »

No.

I've gone the route of taking no miners (all specialized farmers/smelters/blacksmiths/craftdwarves etc) and 6 picks then having 6 dig and dig like mad to carve out a huge fortress. the odd dwarf does things like make the beds, doors, trade depot and carry the food / booze / starting goods to the stockpiles.

Slowly I drop 1 dwarf from mining at a time, to pick up new tasks as areas are developed. Such as a farmer to get a crop in around mid spring. Then a craftsdwarf to make rock mugs to trade early summer.  I keep at it until I get peasants or miners in the immigration wave.

I find that it leaves less stone behind in my stockpile layers (the top levels) and these dwarves all gain a bunch on Mining promotions so they turn into a pretty decent attack force for later by using thier picks and mining skill in battle.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 05:17:00 pm »

I tried that once, but they clung to agonized starving life until the new version came out (z-axis).
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 06:06:00 pm »

Wow, I've never had more than 1 miner and found I never really have to 'wait' for space to be available.  In fact I've never found my self short on food, short on space, short on materials or trade goods.  I've never even seen a tantrum or problem of any kind.  The only bad things that ever happen are the odd thief getting a lucky hit on a dwarf, sparring injuries, and of course the inevitable fortress destroying disaster related to any experiment with water.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 06:11:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Baro:
<STRONG>Wow, I've never had more than 1 miner and found I never really have to 'wait' for space to be available.  In fact I've never found my self short on food, short on space, short on materials or trade goods.  I've never even seen a tantrum or problem of any kind.  The only bad things that ever happen are the odd thief getting a lucky hit on a dwarf, sparring injuries, and of course the inevitable fortress destroying disaster related to any experiment with water.</STRONG>

You need to try a challenge game!

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

TeDDD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 06:45:00 pm »

Yeah, I'm always waiting for space.  Part of the problem is I create complex or symmetric patterns rather than using space as needed.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 06:59:00 pm »

Hmm.

I seem to be one of the most "industrious" players here. I am always waiting for more labor, space, and materials.

There is always much to be done.

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 06:59:00 pm »

why would you ever do this though?

replace 1 miner with a grower and there is no need to work them to death. Yes the mining will get done slower, but only a little bit slower.

Hell you could even give the grower a pick and make him mine one season, plant the next, and still have enough crops.

If you want to be evil, just drop them all into a pit and smash them with a bridge or something when you are done.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 06:59:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Armok:
<STRONG>

You need to try a challenge game!</STRONG>

Or a mega-beast attack.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 08:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wolfius:
<STRONG>

Or a mega-beast attack.</STRONG>

Which are easily solved with a cage trap now.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 11:22:00 pm »

You don't even need to bring picks or axes! just bring some magnetite, logs, and 3 pieces of diorite along with your anvil. Trust me, you end up saving points if you  are going to bring the anvil along anyway.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Thallone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 09:33:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by PTTG??:
<STRONG>You don't even need to bring picks or axes! just bring some magnetite, logs, and 3 pieces of diorite along with your anvil. Trust me, you end up saving points if you  are going to bring the anvil along anyway.</STRONG>

better yet, bring one log, and some bituminous. costs no more than logs, helps train smelting, and produces 2x the fuel in the long run.

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 07:01:00 pm »

Two Proficient Miners should outmine seven Dabblers for ... at least a few months, maybe much longer if the dabblers don't have much soil to mine.  Two proficients will dig faster and only split the experience two ways (vs seven ways for the dabblers) and hit Legend much sooner.  I haven't tested it, but we've all seen how slowly a dabbling miner digs through granite ... Legends dig nearly 15 to 1 compared to dabblers, if not more.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2007, 07:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Thallone:
<STRONG>

better yet, bring one log, and some bituminous. costs no more than logs, helps train smelting, and produces 2x the fuel in the long run.</STRONG>

Wagon = Free 3x Logs   ;)

Pages: [1] 2