Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: I'm creating a "Venice in the Mountain".  (Read 8545 times)

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I'm creating a "Venice in the Mountain".
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2007, 03:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TeDDD:
<STRONG>Edit: Holy Jesus, this Giant Toad has a zone of control that reaches incredibly far.  Like, 20 spaces and 2 Z-levels.  Must be some kind of Hypnotoad.</STRONG>

Yes, but don't kill him. After all, Everybody Loves Hypnotoad.

find that I identify forum goers more by their signatures than anything else.
That being said, I should probably think of something witty to put here.

TeDDD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2007, 12:21:00 am »

Actual update!  Underwater sculpture garden is fashioned with gold and clear glass, and in view of prison cells with green glass windows and gold chains.

Just need to cap a few things off, then let in the water.  Wish me luck!

P.S. Let me know if these images are getting too big.

TeDDD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2007, 12:52:00 am »

So, this water thing is taking a while... there's a 4-space canal leading from the river to my system, but it's still going to take a long time to fill the pit.  Water-proofness is still up in the air.

Below: water falling into the pit.

Wait, what was THAT?

Below: no big loss.

It seems that if a dwarf has the ability, they will build walls from the North.  Unfortunately, the exit he was sealing led South, so he sealed himself in the pit.  Is there a way to avoid that?

TeDDD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2007, 02:04:00 am »

Last one for tonight.  

Below: The water is still flowing... but it has fully covered the lowest level, and half-covered the second lowest.  

There's no leakage of water (although the Dwarves and dogs have tracked mud on the shiny gold floors, not to mention the WALLS), so it would appear the theories are sound.  I slowly learn more and more about this game.

If anyone is interested, I can post a [more or less] full layout tomorrow morning.  If not, I'll just be going to the new version and a new challenge (island? glacier?).

Moocow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2007, 03:36:00 am »

Very nice job TeDD. If you want to avoid the mud, dig a channel and place a grate above it at the main entrance, that should get the mud off.
Death solves all problems - no dwarf, no problem.
- Joseph Stalin

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2007, 04:21:00 am »

People also claim that bridges will wipe off mud, even when not built over a channel.  At least that's what I think they claim.  I haven't tried it myself.  I can personally vouch for channel+grate, but channels make for fun accidents even when your dwarves aren't living underwater.
Impressive work, TeDDD.  A shining testament to dwarven awesomeness.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Merlon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2007, 10:21:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TeDDD:
It seems that if a dwarf has the ability, they will build walls from the North.  Unfortunately, the exit he was sealing led South, so he sealed himself in the pit.  Is there a way to avoid that?

Try placing the wall, then wait for the dwarf to arrive with the buildingmaterial. If he starts on the 'wrong' side of the structure beeing built, suspend the construction. He should still be able to walk through the blueprint at this point and return the way he came. As soon as he's on the safe side, resume construction again. This will usually have him build it from a different direction than last attempt.

I'm not 100% sure it works with walls though, but I've tested the method succcessfully with floodgates.

quote:
Aargh, setback! I hit an underground lake full of monsters that intersects my canals. If I fill the canals now, they'll swim up and eat my dwarves!

Try with marksdwarves set to harass wild animals or add some grates to your channels to prevent Hypnotoad from entering the fort?

TeDDD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2007, 10:28:00 am »

Thanks for the building advice!  As for Hypnotoad, as previously mentioned he had an unusually high range of work-interruption.  I ended up walling off the entire section because I couldn't get grates close enough.

TeDDD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2007, 11:12:00 am »

Okay, last one for Venice, I promise.

Below: Second floor of central area.

Notes: 1) One of the tiers of my pump project that I used to create the magma production facility seen in earlier pictures. 2) Horse and Dwarf bits, mixed with ashes.  I had a magma-man penetrate my fort pretty far.  3) Stairs up (after a few stories) to the catacombs (up and not down? Madness!)

Below: First floor of central area.

Notes: 4) Entrance to mine shaft. 5)Location of first dead Dwarf.  He was a miner betrayed by his brethren and channeled into the water.  As a final act of revenge he contaminated the water for some time afterwards. 6) Lair of the Hypotoad (actual Toad somewhere to the SE and 2 Z-levels down).  Like I said, crazy far work interruption, so I just walled off the area.

Below: Catacombs.  Simple design, but looks good.

Notes: 7) Stairways at these points (not pictured due to stones) lead up to the actual tombs for nobles.

So, what have I learned as a result of this fort (keeping in mind that I am quite the newbie still)?
i) Improved use of pumps.
ii) Some applications of grates.
iii) Nobles really like gold statues in their tombs.
iv) Mud is the devil.
v) You do not need to make roofs out of glass, no-one will see them.
vi) Be careful about the order in which you dig channels and place walls.

And last, but certainly not least:
vii) Fear the Hypnotoad.

Until the next fort, folks!

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2007, 05:56:00 pm »

God that is sweet. Could you upload the map with all relevant layers to DFMA?

I think I like the catacombs most, may have to use a similar design in a future fort.

[ December 09, 2007: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Moocow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2007, 07:37:00 pm »

Could you please post the seed number? I'm having a terrible time looking for my next for location.
Death solves all problems - no dwarf, no problem.
- Joseph Stalin

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2007, 08:01:00 pm »

Fantastic sculpture garden!
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

TeDDD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2007, 08:17:00 pm »

Moocow: The seed I used was 1205746126, and both the seed and location was actually one suggested by the Wiki.

Below: the image from the wiki.  I ended up taking a 6x6 plot, rather than the 3x6 shown, but in the same corner.

If resource distribution is about the same between runs, then your miners should be eating rock and crapping Gold.

Red Jackard: I'll see if I can figure out this map software.  It may take me a while.  I should be able to take everything from Hypnotoad to Catacomb and just leave out my mining endeavors.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2007, 08:34:00 pm »

You can include the mining if you want - the converted map files are extremely tiny.
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

TeDDD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2007, 08:44:00 pm »

Success!
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-1660-cloisteredcreek

I did end up leaving out the mining, which continued another 20 levels or so below the square section I mentioned.  Also, it seems that my pit was actually one or two Z-levels lower than the Hypnotoad, if you're looking for him.

By the way, that is a very impressive compression program.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4