Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Universal Menagerie (~/5)  (Read 7040 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Universal Menagerie (Gauging Interest 0/5~)
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2015, 09:33:59 pm »

I'm going to sin and double post here to make sure everyone sees this.

What do you all think about the whole ship thing? It needs to be one ship and we need to come to some kind of conclusion on ownership and if there is a command structure.

It is also likely that I will play as some sort of ship AI, that will allow me to narrate and provide information. One answer to the previous question is that the ship is mine, (so the ship owns itself) but you all are its crew and pilots and such.

If you leave the command structure loose, then flux state rules dictate that a leader will step forward (Gunin, in this case) and it allows the entire crew to pitch in without breaking the chain o' command, but it can make decisions messy and slow. A hard command structure makes decisions easy, but can also make the group a little moribund in certain situations.

I rather like the idea of a sentient ship that is too incompetent/busy/disinterested/arrogant to fly itself, and has thus hired on additional crew to actually do the dirty work while it eats/composes poetry/watches cartoons/uses naughty chatrooms.

In any case, Swee probably shouldn't be left in charge of a ham sandwich, let alone a ship.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2015, 10:24:10 pm »

i have a character design for a communications expert will that fit in

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2015, 10:36:24 pm »

Isn't that what James already does? Or Feliciti.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2015, 10:52:29 pm »

Isn't that what James already does? Or Feliciti.
ops i think up another one

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2015, 01:19:39 am »

I'm taking the ship AI space....

Made some edits. Now his backstory exists.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 04:55:39 am by Pencil_Art »

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2015, 06:35:24 pm »

Here is the official list of positions.
If you'd still like to join, it is possible at this point or I can work you into it at some point soon.

Captain: James Kurader
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Muscle: Rro
Mechanic: Swee
Lifeform studies: Firewatch
Pilot: Feliciti
Secondary AI: Data Decryption
Medicine/Health: Letitia Slaine
Chef extraordinaire:  Sėle Ceallach

Narrator Informant: JVZ (Jeevs)

I couldn't find the name of the ship, but it is owned by one of the players (I don't remember who it ended up being). However, most decisions should be democratic in some way. Once we have a ship description/design, then we can start the game. It has to be big enough for all of these people to do their job, but not so big that they can do it perfectly. Everything should be a bit cramped.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 06:43:56 pm by Spiderking50 »
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
Re: Universal Menagerie (~/5)
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2015, 06:44:34 pm »

I want to and will think up a character to use by tonight.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2015, 07:22:55 pm »

His newer ship is called the Lion's Pride. More than anything else, it's got space, and very advanced computers, but the engine and armament are lacking. Thus it acts as a sort of mothership.

It can be big while still being cramped. Lots of rooms, but tight quarters. Mostly I'm just looking for hangar and payload space, for smaller ships and lots of cargo. If this is the kind of sci-fi where only some ships have hyperdrives, I'd like this ship to have one. It's a starship, so it's not built for landing, it just flies from orbit to orbit. Its fast, but not very agile because of it's size. Low acceleration due to inertia, and it takes a half an hour to turn around because rotational control is limited to large gyros, but if it gets a running start it can burn at 178,000 km/s. A portion of the ship is reserved for the AI(s), their processes fueled by the molten salt fission reactor that gives the ship it's running power. It's got advanced medical facilities for our scientists (I guess we not only do illegal smuggling stuff, but also exploration of new worlds?), and also that massive galley for our chef.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 07:28:35 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2015, 08:08:09 pm »

Got it the ship designs are as follows:

Floor 1: Pilots deck. On this floor is the main controls for the navigation and piloting of the ship. Also has status updates of all systems.
Floor 2: Main guns, computing, and seconday system controls (life support, water filtration, lights, that sort of thing)
Floor 3: Residential and food deck
Floor 4: Cargo bay and ship hangar (Right now you have one landing vessel)
Floor 5: Engines and "medical" lab

Floor 1 is the top floor. There are AI hubs for DD on every level of the ship, but the main AI components are on Floor 5.

Unless there is anything else, I'll start the game off a little bit later this evening. The ship will start off stocked and fueled, but with 0 funds. Unless you all find a job, you're not going to make enough money to refuel her.

You will be able to pick whatever jobs you want (I'll provide options), but there could be a lot of riches hidden in unexplored territories.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 08:11:02 pm by Spiderking50 »
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2015, 11:27:44 pm »

Turn 1: (Need to decide what to do/ find a job)

The Lion's Pride is officially out of funds. The last of the emergency funds just went into the last round of fuel, food, and supplies. You need a job and you need one fast. You are docked at the Melona space station on the dark side of Swharl. Melona is a backwater cesspool of sleeze, slime, and scum. There is no law among these salty spacey scalawags. There are black market deals, and untested products here, intermixed with cheap knock-offs and outright scams. There are plenty of unsavory spacers here, but there are jobs and deals to be found. You need to find one of those jobs before your supplies run out and you're stranded in this lawless back-water outpost. You are currently on the ship in your typical areas, you have just arrived here and refueled, but haven't gone to port. Your ship is currently docked to the space space station.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2015, 11:32:21 pm »

Letitia attempts not to panic.
She exits her room and heads to the exit door of the ship (whatever that's called) and waits for the others.
Black lives matter.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2015, 11:38:36 pm »

(Cool, I'm ready to play. ^^^)

Firewatch put on her white lab skirt (it was white with a broad blue band just above the end; she was assured this meant 'scientist') to be what the captain seemed to consider 'decent' before she left her quarters. It looked like the metal human was already waiting at the exit of the ship, so Fire raised a hand in greeting. That was what humans did. The fronds along her arm rustled quietly as she waved. "Metal human not feeling well?" the Manitari, asked, concerned. She looked like she had something on her mind.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2015, 11:48:32 pm »

Letitia looks up.
"Oh, Firewatch. Hello. I... I could be better, I guess."
Black lives matter.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2015, 11:54:10 pm »

Firewatch blinked her pure red eyes and tilted her head slightly to the side. "What wrong? Firewatch can help, maybe?
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2015, 12:05:09 am »

Letitia sighs.
"I don't think so. Unless you have special job-finding powers that nobody knows about..." She chuckles, a little. Nervously.
"We're almost out of everything, Firewatch. We need a job or we'll be stuck here... and I don't think anyone would have you, me or Sile employed doing our actual professions at this place."
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11