Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fast traveling?  (Read 3599 times)

Sponge

• Bay Watcher
  • I like wearing shoes on both of my feet.
    • View Profile
Fast traveling?
« on: June 29, 2015, 04:52:14 pm »

I'm really confused with fast traveling. I go into the quest menu "Ok, go to this town." Then i go into the fast travel menu, and it looks COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from the quest menu map. I'm really confused and frustrated and don't know how to go anywhere. Help?
I like wearing shoes on both of my feet.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Fast traveling?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 04:58:18 pm »

You're probably seeing the town map. Leave the town first.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 04:59:01 pm »

The quest menu map is pretty much useless except for very long distance travel. The fast travel map is way, way, further zoomed in than the quest map, and if you go near a town then it zooms in further by 3x.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Sponge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 05:00:26 pm »

You're probably seeing the town map. Leave the town first.
I have. I know the difference between town and world map. I'm still really confused how to find anything.

Sponge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 05:18:08 pm »

Can someone please help? OR explain this? Because i really want to play adventure but its hard when you don't know where to go!

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 05:33:56 pm »

Can someone please help? OR explain this? Because i really want to play adventure but its hard when you don't know where to go!
Did you read my post? I already explained it. The quest screen map is pretty much useless as it's really, really zoomed out. On the fast travel map there's a button you can press (maybe m? I'm not sure, it should say on the screen) that opens up a map on the right side of the fast travel map which will be zoomed out a bit more, but still not the level of the quest map.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Sponge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 05:36:21 pm »

Did you read my post? I already explained it. The quest screen map is pretty much useless as it's really, really zoomed out. On the fast travel map there's a button you can press (maybe m? I'm not sure, it should say on the screen) that opens up a map on the right side of the fast travel map which will be zoomed out a bit more, but still not the level of the quest map.
So how am i supposed to go to quest sites? Am i supposed to walk around randomly until i find one?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 05:45:28 pm »

So how am i supposed to go to quest sites? Am i supposed to walk around randomly until i find one?
You pay attention when people give you the quest as to what direction it is and how far away, then you go in that direction and use that map you can pull up on the travel screen to look for the site type you were sent to. Site type meaning like if you were told to go to a cave look for a boulder on the map and head there, or if you need to go to a town go there and check the name at the bottom
 Left of the travel screen once you get there.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 06:40:36 pm »

Go to events, then look at the words starting each entry, if you see beast, or invasion, or abduction, go to that entry and hit z and it should move the cursor on the quest map to the right spot if you were told directions before.

Then go into travel mode and hit m a couple of times until it brings up the same map as the quest map on the right side of the screen along with the local view on the left side.

Hmmm, I remember thinking about seeing if I could teleport myself to a location using the quest map, but later I just edited gm-editor a bit so when I was traveling and used the hotkey it pulled up the x/y position of my army (on the travel map you and all the asterisks are considered armies) and I could just zoop around that way. When I'm lazy I use it to hop rivers (open it > bump myself a couple coordinates in the right direction, keep going) though I also use it to get out of dark fortresses. You can't fast travel in one, but while you sleep/rest you're briefly an army so I just rest and hit the hotkey > edit myself out of the fortress. :D

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 09:48:59 am »

Just remember the site name and put it in the events map to see where it is. Then fast travel to your heart's content.

EDIT: Be sure to have at least one companion so that you don't need to fight bogeymen every night.