Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The fragile sanity of butchers...  (Read 4326 times)

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
Re: The fragile sanity of butchers...
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2015, 07:45:33 pm »

Retracting bridges are also an option. I don't believe they toss things, but if you make sure the area is enclosed it shouldn't matter. "Close" the bridge, unforbid the access door, and let them pile stuff up. Forbid the door to prevent accidents, and have the bride "opened" - the junk should just fall into the bit below.
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2015, 12:11:50 pm »

so basically, just give butchers some really nice statues near the corpse stockpiles to ensure they don't kill themselves over butchering to prevent a catsplosion

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2015, 12:04:04 pm »

The only dwarves in my fort that have refuse hauling enabled are hardened military vets. My butcher is not fine with the pile of dead sentients, but I keep a decent eye on him and when he first starts to flash the red arrow I remove the butcher labor from him to give him a break to regain his sanity.

TL;DR rotate a few butchers. Let one recover while the other works. Refuse hauling disabled for every dwarf but those with "doesn't care about anything anymore" (inactive military)

soulsource

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2015, 07:49:13 am »

I've meanwhile set up a separate stockpile for sentients that show up regularly on my embark (goblins, trolls, troglodytes, plump helmet men, gremlins, humans, elves), right next to the garbage incinerator. While it is inside, it has a miamsa-lock, and as the game is down to 10-20 fps anyhow, I usually see it when a fresh body arrives there and can designate it to be dumped before it starts to spread stinking clouds.

Sadly, my military isn't big enough to spare any corpse-carriers from guard duty after two forgotten beasts with flesh-rotting secretions had to show up, and I'm not even counting the dragon that decided to raid my fort shortly afterwards, as it luckily knocked itself out in a weapon trap and didn't cause any military casualties - sadly only after setting my beautiful mountain meadows on fire while killing my best weaponsmith that had just decided to get new socks from some fresh goblin corpses - yes, that was one awesome spring...
Quote from: Porkins Windu
Really, DF and Metal are practically the same. Drunkenness, Death, Depression, Depravity, Despondence, Demons, Dementia, Darkness. And thats just the D's!
Pages: 1 [2]