Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Battlemaster: A browser-based medieval RPG  (Read 2415 times)

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Battlemaster: A browser-based medieval RPG
« on: June 29, 2015, 08:00:53 am »

Since the last thread on this game has had almost half a year since the last post, and the game has suddenly gotten quite interesting for new players, I'm making a new thread.

Old Thread
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As the old thread said, Battlemaster is a roleplaying game where you play as either a noble or adventurer in a low-fantasy medieval world. You can do everything from fight in tournaments, battle monsters, engage in court intrigue, become lord of a fief, lead an army, fight in an army, commit warcrimes, create your own religion, and even form your own kingdom (or lead usurp an existing one). The sky is pretty much the limit with what you can do, provided you have the imagination and the writing skills. The game is heavily focused on writing: From letters and orders, to roleplays and even entire story arcs (sometimes with multiple players collaborating to write them).

There are two game modes, depending on whether you're playing an adventurer/priest or a noble.

As a noble, you command a retinue of soldiers in whatever realm you choose. The day is divided into two turns: Sunrise and Sunset. You get 8 hours to play with every turn, up to a maximum of 12, and you travel at the end of every turn. You start out as a knight serving under a random lord, and your role is generally to fight in the armies. By engaging in politics, you may eventually get a chance to govern a region of your own, lead an army, lead all of the armies, or even become a duke or a king. But to start with, you're a petty knight, and your options are kinda limited. Once you've played enough, you get the ability to become a courtier, a diplomat, a spy, a priest, or a noble cavalier. Alternatively, you can just say 'screw it' and pick the Hero class, which gives you various benefits and the admiration of everyone, but locks you in the class and makes dying a possibility. As a mentioned before, the possibilities are endless.

As an adventurer, you travel the land hunting monsters, gathering treasure, and generally living the life of a commoner. You can get up to 16 hours with which you can travel and do various actions over the day, you gain one hour every real-time hour. Your goal is generally to become a knight by earning a certain amount of prestige and gaining the favour of nobles by selling them precious artifacts. As a priests, things play somewhat similarly, except you're already a noble, and instead of hunting monsters, you preach your religion to the commoners (and nobles). Playing an adventurer or priest is very limited, compared to playing a noble, and is really only recommended for more experienced players. Because of that, you can't make one as your first character.

The game is divided into several servers, or Islands, with each island having their own realms and style:
East Island, Atamara, and the Far East are the standard islands. I don't really know much about them.
Beluaterra is the badass island, practically the closest you can get to PvE in this game. It's plagued with monsters, and realms are frequently crushed by monster invasions.
The Colonies is a slower island, only one turn per day, for those who don't want to commit too much time.
Dwilight is the roleplay Island (well, more roleplay than usual), and the one I play in. We take our titles seriously, and it's generally expected that you try and roleplay a medieval noble the best you can (unless you're a filthy commoner). If you like the idea of roleplaying a medieval person, with all the bloodshed and intrigue it entails, pick this Island.

So why would you want to play this game? To answer that, I will recount what has happened in Dwilight in the last year:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As of now, the Fissoans have officially surrendered, agreeing to split their realm in half and form a new realm for the refugees. The new realm would be a great place for new players, with plenty of opportunity for promotion and warfare.

Meanwhile, in the north, Morek is in the midst of a civil war, with the new realms Arnor, Helyg Derwydon, and Antiqualia tearing the empire to shreds. Many Lurians are flocking to Antiqualia to join the fun, many of them good players, and it should be a really good place for a new player to learn the game and take part in the creation of a new realm.

In Luria, we are celebrating our victory. There are at least two, perhaps three, tournaments planned in the near future, and we are already getting ready to invade our last enemies. Luria is also a good realm for a new player, though it's really crowded at the moment. There are a lot of helpful and active players, who would love to see new players in the game, myself included. I'm personally playing Theon Whitehart, and if you got any questions, I and a quite a few other players will gladly answer them. If you like the thought of playing in a 'safe' realm, that still has plenty of opportunity for fun and mayhem, join us (please :'().

If you want to know more about the rules or mechanics of the game, check the wiki. It contains pretty much everything you need to know about the game, though it's slightly outdated and the RP rules are quite a bit stricter than in the game. If you're still in doubt about anything, feel free to ask around the forums or just in the game.

TLDR: Like roleplaying a medieval noble/filthy peasant? Like emergent and dynamic gameplay with plenty of opportunity for intrigue? Like writing? Then this game is for you. Join Luria in the Dwilight server and have fun. Make sure to read the wiki and feel free to ask around, if you're in doubt.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 08:17:12 am by sebcool »
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battlemaster: A browser-based medieval RPG
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 08:13:40 am »

Ah... Asylon, never forget.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 08:22:56 am »

Quite a few of them are still in Luria. We shall carve out a new realm from the remains of the old.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 08:25:29 am by sebcool »

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 05:41:40 pm »

Might jump back in as Marius Janelle in a couple of weeks. Had heaps going on in life, so I just sort of disappeared. I have no idea how I'll RP the comeback. Although I was going to go the "walk amongst the people and become a priest" route anyway. So, ummm, stage 1 is complete: )
It's a game. Have fun.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 08:29:26 pm »

Interesting. I'll read the wiki for a bit. Might play, might not.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 08:06:49 pm »

The game takes a while. Give it a month or two before you decide whether you like it or not.

This sounds like a lot, but it can be about 5-10mins a day.

You can spend heaps of time writing up RPs, or just flick through the messages, check your army orders and move.

It requires a bit of constant/regular play, but it doesn't have to take a long time each day. It's a good morning coffee/afternoon wind-down game on your phone for instance.

I recommend starting on Dwilight in Luria, just because I've always had good experiences there as a newby and even with new characters as a more experienced player. Whilst there's a "level up" system, with character stats/honour determining some things like troop recruitment, over half of the game is political/messaging. You can become pretty damn rich or powerful while only having starting stats. It just depends who you know, what you're doing and how/who's arse you kiss.

It's both complicated and simple, can be as RP heavy or light as you want it (I recommend a fair bit of RP work, it's sort of the point of the game) and can be quite fun once your character has a bit of a background from what you've done. Even if it's just moving along with the army and following orders.

Luria's nice, because there's circles within circles and overlaps everywhere. It lets you be who you want more easily. There's the Empire/Emperor, the various Kings, the various armies and their Marshals, the civil service, the Royal Rangers, other guilds, at least 3 religions and probably much more. Lurian Nobles, at both the upper and lower ends, tend to be pretty generous with gold for newbies, as long as you're doing something good (or following orders) for one of the listed groups.

Hell, I ended up as a Lord and was offered the Marshal position of the civil service, all while generally ignoring orders and being a border protection warrior and invasion scout (or hero! :) ). It just depends on how you explain your actions.

Luria's fun. Internal/external fights and friendships are easy to start there.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 08:10:34 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 09:37:09 pm »

Well, I'm back. And Thar Gortauth doesn't have an Earl. And I'm in Thar Gortauth right now. And I was a good Earl before..... Kind of.......

Hoping for instant political power and wealth (actually, not much wealth or power, but more to do) after a two month break. I'll probably just faff about being a priest for a while. Although it turns out I can hire ~95 troops or 30SF, which isn't bad. Could never afford them, but still.......

And my adventurer has a heap of gold and bitching weapon skills still. I'm pretty sure I was meant to do "something" with the gold, but I forget, so I'll probably just go shopping.
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 05:56:39 pm »

And off to war I go. See? Not such a slow game after all.
It's a game. Have fun.

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 07:38:35 am »

In fact, join any realm but Luria. Those people are evil and what you read here is mostly imperialistic propaganda. :P

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 08:18:57 pm »

Decided to start up a noble on Atamara in Tara as well. Took an estate based on the fact that the ruler's name was easy to remember. It was also one day before tax time.

That estate makes me 417 gold a week, as a new noble (so I couldn't spend that money if I tried). My unit costs about 60 gold a week, including gubbins. Dear god, I'm going to be rich within a month.

I might use the money to establish an adventurer's guild on the continent if there aren't any decent ones already. Are there?
It's a game. Have fun.

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 09:01:28 pm »

Not that I know of. Atamara is not really big on adventuring.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 08:38:43 am »

Obviously you enrich your family, so that you could spend it on the more important members... or just make a rich family.

... Colonies are pretty damn poor compared to Atamara from my memory of a year or so ago.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Oirestel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 12:49:19 pm »

Is an awesome game if you can hang on. It always fell somewhere between two much and not enough time investment for me.

Luria rocks, although be aware you'll be amidst a combination of really nice community oriented people, and wolves who are waiting to eat your throat out.

/former wolf

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 05:15:53 pm »

Nah. Tara's getting the Monster Hunters Academy. After I've done some fighting.

While enriching my family might be useful, having an advy guild on two different continents makes sure the advy game can be fun, no matter how many of them I kill off. Advy guilds are pretty awesome for nobles and nations as well. Guild loans and decentralized banking is a thing. Plus, it makes it easier to buy bling for my character, which is important so you can show up in battle announcements :)

A well worthwhile use of a few thousand gold longterm, I think.
It's a game. Have fun.

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 11:51:03 am »

417 gold a week

I envy you. I don't even get half that as a lord.
Pages: [1] 2