Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14

Author Topic: The Price of Freedom  (Read 12696 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: The Price of Freedom
« Reply #180 on: July 09, 2015, 08:51:56 am »

Hey, ya'll agreed to the big plan about stealing a book. We're going to steal a book!

Showing interest in the subject publicly beforehand will only link us to our crime.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 11, 2015, 06:20:05 pm »

Go to the inn and see if we can get a job there playing music. Afterwards, explore the mines to look for places to stash our loot.
+1 Try the Crossroads Inn first because we know the owner.

Although your rational mind is aware of the fact that you'd only been standing near that dumb post for a few minutes, it feels like an eternity! ...Or four days, at least. You shake off the insidious torpor of idleness and spring into action, making your way to the Crossroads Inn: a fine and reputable establishment some distance away from any actual crossroads. Given the time of day (mid-morning), it's no surprise that the building is completely depopulated. You call out for Dorian Fletcher, the proprietor of the inn, who eventually emerges from the basement with a barrel in tow.

Dorian is not a small man: tall, fat, and bald, with a cheerful smile and flushed cheeks. He sets the barrel down behind the bar with a loud clunk and a heavy breath, wipes away the sweat beading on his brow, and smiles in greeting.

"Ravaatra! You're here at an unusual hour. Your pa would throw a fit if he knew you were drinking this early." He laughs at his own joke before taking a swig from a flask. He sees your raised eyebrow and holds up a defensive hand. "I brew my own drink. Different rules. I'm basically one a' them monks down south."

"...Right. I actually just stopped by to ask something. Do you mind if I play here tonight?"

"Do I ever say no to music? You're in luck, ain't had a player here for a couple days." He begins heaving the barrel into its position on the rack. "Crowd's ripe for a song or two."

Check that one off your list. You consider your next move...

I say we should inquiry about the routines of the Baron's mage. Maybe asks some guards, or something. With that in mind, we may be able to know more about him, and probably begin a conversation or something.
+1
Wouldn't it look suspicious if we do this? What reason would we have for knowing the mage's routine? When his tome of magic knowledge goes missing, wouldn't the guards be able to tell it was us by how we were asking about him?

It would be risky to draw attention to yourself before the heist. Asking around would be the quickest way to learn what his habits are, but observing and doing reconnaissance would be safer. If you were to ask, who would you ask, though? Guards would know everything, but they're... well, guards. They guard things, including the wizard's tomes. Other staff members - maids, servants, laborers - would be a little safer to probe for information, but they might not know everything. They might give you away, too.

If you were to do reconnaissance, it would take more time. Maybe a lot more time, depending on how convoluted Cotrom's habits are. You would also have to figure out how to observe him without getting caught, which is a whole 'nother challenge in and of itself.

How about we buy something from him instead, or better yet, do him a favor of some kind? Creepy, antisocial wizards do need things done every now and then, and we seem like just the person for it, being both sorcerously talented in all likelihood as well as discreet. Maybe he needs a corpse from a graveyard, or some kind of other crap wizards need, you know? And then he might give us stuff for giving it to him! Maybe even magical stuff, eventually.

Does he sell things? Does he need favors? You're honestly not sure. When you were little, kids would tell stories about how the creepy wizard would do anything from steal away kids to give away magic potions. You could ask around about what he does outside his official capacity as the baron's adviser (independent research or trading, for example) and determine how valid of a plan it is, but you'd have to figure out who to ask first.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 11, 2015, 06:29:48 pm »

lets consider for a moment a bit more honest work, if we use our skills more sparingly then its less a hassle to steal when we need to because we wont be under so much "heat"

we should play at the tavern for some coin. also. why don't we consider having the wizard guy teach us? of course un that case we would not be able to steal the books  later without leaving town/being on the run. but if we get some training from him. even a little bit, we ca steal from someone else later (including other mages). using our magic.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 11, 2015, 06:34:01 pm »

Because we are a thief and by whatever gods of trickery there are we will play as a thief.

If we wanted to not be a thief we shouldn't have picked thief.

We should take a walk vaguely in the area he lives in, scope the exterior out. Guard spots, avenues of infiltration and such.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 11, 2015, 07:10:09 pm »

Explore the mines. Look for a place where we can stash treasures/build a lair. Even if we don't find a decent location, we might find some secret tunnels into the castle or maybe some treasure that's already been hidden here.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 11, 2015, 07:18:57 pm »

Because we are a thief and by whatever gods of trickery there are we will play as a thief.

We should take a walk vaguely in the area he lives in, scope the exterior out. Guard spots, avenues of infiltration and such.

there is a difference between being a  smart thief and being a stupid thief.

-the smart one knows to limit themselves and disguise there trade with honest work

-the stupid one thinks they an nab everything without consequence and need no honest work to hide (or worse yet, not bother to hide)

lets be smart thief, were the main character so we wont have to be stupid to get into !!fun!!
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 12, 2015, 01:47:58 am »

+1 because no one else has any sort of plan

Also ask Dorian when we should play.

conein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 12, 2015, 01:54:26 am »

We dont really have an inventory, so we dont know how much money we have. Can you tell us?  If we need money, we could still steal them from some random dude.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 14, 2015, 07:18:14 pm »

Thinking Action: What do we know about our mom?
Max avatar size is 80x80

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 14, 2015, 07:21:07 pm »

Thinking Action: What do we know about our mom?
+1
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 14, 2015, 07:26:18 pm »

YOU

SMALL GIRL

TELL US ABOUT THE HERETICAL GODS OF THIS REALM

ALSO, DO THE FILTHY FUCKING XENOS MAKE THEIR LAIR ON THIS WORLD
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 14, 2015, 07:30:20 pm »

YOU

SMALL GIRL

TELL US ABOUT THE HERETICAL GODS OF THIS REALM

ALSO, DO THE FILTHY FUCKING XENOS MAKE THEIR LAIR ON THIS WORLD
+1 this too.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 14, 2015, 07:51:24 pm »

Actually doing thief things in a fantasy setting when you're a thief? Unheard of! Let's do this. Case a place.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 14, 2015, 07:54:54 pm »

Actually doing thief things in a fantasy setting when you're a thief? Unheard of! Let's do this. Case a place.

+1 Lets "break out of the norm".

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 14, 2015, 07:58:49 pm »

Explore the mines. Look for a place where we can stash treasures/build a lair. Even if we don't find a decent location, we might find some secret tunnels into the castle or maybe some treasure that's already been hidden here.
+1 to this.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14