Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are psychopaths people?

Yes
- 13 (44.8%)
No
- 0 (0%)
Bonus question: Is it morally ok to kill psychopaths?
- 1 (3.4%)
Yes
- 3 (10.3%)
No
- 7 (24.1%)
Bonus question: Are psychopaths people under the bible?
- 1 (3.4%)
Yes
- 4 (13.8%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Are psychopaths people?  (Read 868 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Are psychopaths people?
« on: June 27, 2015, 03:46:57 am »

Psychopaths are characterised with the inability to feel guilt or remorse. Thus they have no concept of morality, unlike even sociopaths (sociopaths are different in that their morality is often strange or twisted, but it's there.) If a person can't even comprehend right and wrong, can they even be called people?

Bonus question 1: Is it morally acceptable to kill psychopaths?
Bonus question 2: According to the bible, Adam and Eve ate from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. Psychopaths are unable to understand good and evil, so are they non-people from a biblical point of view?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Are psychopaths people?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 04:02:38 am »

The concepts of right and wrong are a construct of human civilization. If civilization did not exist, those concepts would not exist. Morality is also a construct. You're thinking of Empathy.

Psychopaths can in fact comprehend what is right and wrong by civilizations definition. They are capable of learning and being taught. They simply do not feel remorse for committing what civilization deems "Wrong."

Psychopaths don't feel empathy. That's the difference from standard people. They still qualify as people however. Every civilization needs hunters and butchers to ensure food gets on the table at night. Most Empathic people get squeamish about that stuff.

It is not morally acceptable to kill Anyone. It is not Empathically acceptable to kill Anyone.

I don't do religion. The bible is flawed on so many levels that I'm not going to even give an argument for or against that.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 05:17:48 am »

To distill my point down to two sentences: A baby can't understand morality, nor can a fetus. Yet there is legislation/rules in the Christian worldview against killing fetuses and babies.

Spoiler: My point in full (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 05:23:29 am »

Are they sentient/sapient or whatever the proper term is? If so, then yeah they're people by the broadest definition human society has.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 05:30:21 am »

Besides there are a lot of psychopaths who never kill anyone.

Murderous psychopaths pick up on the subtle hints in our society.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 05:40:06 am »

I'm not scared of a few psychopaths.

I am however very concerned about the folks who believe that being a psychopath is moral grounds for being executed.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 07:32:27 am »

I'm going to be honest here Andres, this is really not an acceptable kind of discussion, and I am sorely tempted to report it.  ALL humans are entitled to life (I do not count the unborn/fetus until it is fully capable of survival outside the womb), and no-one has the right to deprive them of said entitlement without due process.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 07:43:47 am »

Understood. Locking thread.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.