Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Tim Hunt Debacle (or: How to get a professor, lord and noble prize winner fired)  (Read 6440 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

I dunno, I don't know if I'd blame the reporter for this or blame the recent internet trend of someone pointing out something or someone doing something "wrong" and suddenly hundreds of bystanders are jumping in and attacking the "wrong" for being "wrong". So it leads to major corporations or groups that have to consider their publicity and public image and completely drop the person accused of being "wrong" to avoid the mob of angry bystanders.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

... that's not really a recent trend, though. Internet's made it easier, but yellow journalism and its effects has been around for a loooong time.

Hell, to an extent, at least we're only getting people (temporarily, generally) losing their job instead of lynchings, which is what could happen not too terribly many decades ago with similar situations. You can come back and tell me things are getting worse when we're back to throwing people over a tree branch for shit they didn't do :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

... that's not really a recent trend, though. Internet's made it easier, but yellow journalism and its effects has been around for a loooong time.
shiiiiieeet. That's true. I didn't even think of that.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

only thing that irritates me is that the guy gave in, tried to apologize, and then resigned, make em fire you coward

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I dunno, I don't know if I'd blame the reporter for this or blame the recent internet trend of someone pointing out something or someone doing something "wrong" and suddenly hundreds of bystanders are jumping in and attacking the "wrong" for being "wrong". So it leads to major corporations or groups that have to consider their publicity and public image and completely drop the person accused of being "wrong" to avoid the mob of angry bystanders.

I wish there were angry mobs, pitchforks and torches. But there aren't. The "mob" in this case is a flurry of point-and-screech, #concerned #citizens on Twitter. We're talking, at most, 10 seconds of effort from everyone involved.

If you had to actually get up off your chair and grab a pitchfork to get a professor fired, the world would be a more more fun, interesting, and possibly dangerous place.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

I wish there were angry mobs, pitchforks and torches. But there aren't. The "mob" in this case is a flurry of point-and-screech, #concerned #citizens on Twitter. We're talking, at most, 10 seconds of effort from everyone involved.

If you had to actually get up off your chair and grab a pitchfork to get a professor fired, the world would be a more more fun, interesting, and possibly dangerous place.

And nobody would bother.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And nobody would bother.

Also a good outcome.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

What a surprise, professor makes inflammatory statement; university bureaucracy declares itself moral arbiter. If anything, what bothers me is how typical this story is. Please be more original next time, humanity.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

For all it's worth, political correctness and topics of the like, I used to be supportive of during my younger days. Nowadays, I can care less about it. Mostly because it took the predictable path of "standup comedy is steadily becoming more accurate with how absurd things are getting" levels.

Pretty much, this is just white noise static to me. I'm changing channels to something more entertaining. This is boring "Reality TV" exaggerations of everyday events as if rendered by media drama by this point.

Relevant
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 12:07:29 am by Itnetlolor »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

But Straight White Males are the real victims of Oppression!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1. The vibe I get from it is "dumb bitch feminist accused a guy of something, let's circle-jerk about what a dumb bitch she is". Granted, the OP did not in fact say anything so uncivil, and this may just be me projecting. I apologize for that.

Seriously, man? You ascribe a random motive and meaning to me for no reason?

2. So we have a journalist's word now against Richard Dawkins (who wasn't there, and frankly is a professional asshole) and "an unamed EC official" who is transcribing from memory. I'm kind of shocked if no one actually recorded the speech, considering people post Vines of themselves eating lunch, much less a speech from a Nobel-winning scientist.

Considering the journalist has started to contradict herself on what he said, I'm more inclined to believe the EC official.

3. After the thread was created and people didn't rush to jump on the outrage-wagon, you cross posted to the sad thread, just to drum up attention. Honestly, that probably set me off as much as anything.

It makes me sad.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I still maintain that it was a dumb comment to make, even if it was a socially awkward attempt at a joke. It'd be like trying to break the ice at the Polish embassy by asking, "So, how many Pollacks does it take to change a lightbulb?"

It's very interesting that it was a journalist complaining about it and not the many female scientists that he was giving the speech to.

To be honest, look at male suicide rates and talk more.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile

1. The vibe I get from it is "dumb bitch feminist accused a guy of something, let's circle-jerk about what a dumb bitch she is". Granted, the OP did not in fact say anything so uncivil, and this may just be me projecting. I apologize for that.

It's people's right to talk stupid trash about other people. That goes for Dr.Hunt, the dumb bitch journalist, the panicky OP, you and your not really veiled at all accusations, and me calling you all out on it.

(That said, unlike everyone else in the list the journalist's trash talk has actually hurt somebody in a material way, and that isn't good)

2. So we have a journalist's word now against Richard Dawkins (who wasn't there, and frankly is a professional asshole)

An increasing number of journalists are professional assholes too. Dawkins is nor necessarily on the moral low ground
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile

I was completely willing to give you the benefit of the doubt until you trotted out this talking point. Jeeze, dude.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was completely willing to give you the benefit of the doubt until you trotted out this talking point. Jeeze, dude.

I'm genuinely sorry that I care about mental health and the fact that male suicide rates have been steadily increasing and are multiple times higher than female suicide rates.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm genuinely sorry that I care about mental health and the fact that male suicide rates have been steadily increasing and are multiple times higher than female suicide rates.
Men are more likely to succeed in killing themselves than women are, since men prefer methods like firearms and hanging, while women prefer methods involving drugs. Studies show that men and women are about as equally likely to attempt to kill themselves.
(From Wikipedia, so take it as you will.)
That talking point doesn't have the legs it sounds like it should, I'm afraid. Now, if one were to rephrase it as an issue where suicide prevention should focus on men to maximize their impact, I'd bite. But it's not useful as a case to use as a counter to the "White men aren't allow to complain" tactic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5