Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Tim Hunt Debacle (or: How to get a professor, lord and noble prize winner fired)  (Read 6419 times)

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Some of you may have heard about this big thing about how some guy called Tim Hunt made sexist comments during a speech at a tech conference. This "story" was "broken" by Connie St Louis of the Guardian who claims that he made sexist comments saying that he believes women should be segregated in the labs because he said, "Three things happen when they are in the lab: you fall in love with them, they fall in love with you, and when you criticise them they cry."

Now this is very interesting, because that's actually the story of Tim Hunt's engagement and marriage to his current wife who is also a professor at the University College London (UCL) that he WAS a professor at.

Now I say was because, when this whole thing happened, UCL told him to either resign or be fired. He, a noble prize winner and long-term professor, chose to resign.

The most interesting part is that more information is coming out suggesting that not only did Connie St Louis miss out a lot of vital information (mainly the fact that it was a joke made before he started praising women in science), it seems that she has either lied or forgotten vital information about what he said.

Now, however, after several key figures (Richard Dawkins et al) have came out in support of Tim Hunt, she has doubled down and started demanding people don't defend him after she, essentially, ruined his life.

Considering she's a lecturer at City University London, it does make you start to understand why modern journalism is such trash.

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This not really irritate anyone else?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

It was a dumb comment to make. No, it really doesn't bother me. And the counter-narrative is being presented in the same tone as all the Gamergate garbage, so yeah...

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It was a dumb comment to make. No, it really doesn't bother me. And the counter-narrative is being presented in the same tone as all the Gamergate garbage, so yeah...

Bold: It was a joke. Something everyone does at speeches to lighten the mood and make it not all dry and boring. It wasn't even a formal speech, it was something he had to make up on the spot so he did an anecdote and then carried on.

Italic: It doesn't bother you a man can lose his job over literally nothing for no reason?

Underlined: ??? What does GamerGate have to do with this?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And the counter-narrative is being presented in the same tone as all the Gamergate garbage, so yeah...

the discussion hasn't even started and you're already trying to murder it

thank you based rk

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

Now, however, after several key figures (Richard Dawkins et al) have came out in support of Tim Hunt, she has doubled down and started demanding people don't defend him after she, essentially, ruined his life.

I read this article.

...why is it such a big deal that there hasn't been a female president of the Royal Society?

...why is it a big deal that there aren't as many women in senior level positions in academia? Is there lots of woman trying to get senior positions and being rejected? Or is it just based on statistics? Because the statistics could be like that simply because women aren't interested in getting to senior level positions. Rather than accuse the system of being rigged I'd think her time would be better spent...I dunno, looking for women who want to get senior level positions like that.

Gamergate is a highly inflammatory topic that tends to lead to lots of shitstorms in Bay12 in the past. Gamergate and various other inflammatory sensitive topics like gender pronouns and gender rights and gay rights and stuff.

inb4 this thread explodes into a flaming shitstorm.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I read this article.

...why is it such a big deal that there hasn't been a female president of the Royal Society?

...why is it a big deal that there aren't as many women in senior level positions in academia? Is there lots of woman trying to get senior positions and being rejected? Or is it just based on statistics? Because the statistics could be like that simply because women aren't interested in getting to senior level positions. Rather than accuse the system of being rigged I'd think her time would be better spent...I dunno, looking for women who want to get senior level positions like that.

When you consider the fact that, amongst trained professional people under 35, women earn more than men it's likely a matter of training and time in positions than anything else. Sadly, people push for change when change is already here, you just have to wait for it.

Gamergate is a highly inflammatory topic that tends to lead to lots of shitstorms in Bay12 in the past. Gamergate and various other inflammatory sensitive topics like gender pronouns and gender rights and gay rights and stuff.

So he's just trying to cause a flaming shitstorm?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 06:15:50 pm by Rex Invictus »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

I think they went too far firing him. A public reprimand should have been enough. Particularily as he apologized afterwards.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think they went too far firing him. A public reprimand should have been enough. Particularily as he apologized afterwards.

At least if they did that then they could've reversed the situation.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

So he's just trying to cause a flaming shitstorm?
(fixed your quote yo)

No, I think Redking was saying that this topic is similar to topics in the past that have had a history of spiraling out of control into arguments. So if we want to keep this discussion going let's try to not let it get into a crazy firestorm.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

the mans a freaking knight and Nobel prize winner he should be treated better. its stupid how much of a big deal a single comment now days is and how its seemingly enough to destroy the reputation of someone who has made invaluable contributions to humanity. certinly he has done more then any the people criticizing have ever do in there lives.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

the mans a freaking knight and Nobel prize winner he should be treated better. its stupid how much of a big deal a single comment now days is and how its seemingly enough to destroy the reputation of someone who has made invaluable contributions to humanity. certinly he has done more then any the people criticizing have ever do in there lives.
Yes, you make an excellent point, but internet mob rule.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

PTW FOR GLORIOUS DISCUSSION

Things will get CIVIL and UNDERSTANDING

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

My issues with the OP are threefold:

1. The vibe I get from it is "dumb bitch feminist accused a guy of something, let's circle-jerk about what a dumb bitch she is". Granted, the OP did not in fact say anything so uncivil, and this may just be me projecting. I apologize for that.

2. So we have a journalist's word now against Richard Dawkins (who wasn't there, and frankly is a professional asshole) and "an unamed EC official" who is transcribing from memory. I'm kind of shocked if no one actually recorded the speech, considering people post Vines of themselves eating lunch, much less a speech from a Nobel-winning scientist.

3. After the thread was created and people didn't rush to jump on the outrage-wagon, you cross posted to the sad thread, just to drum up attention. Honestly, that probably set me off as much as anything.

I still maintain that it was a dumb comment to make, even if it was a socially awkward attempt at a joke. It'd be like trying to break the ice at the Polish embassy by asking, "So, how many Pollacks does it take to change a lightbulb?"

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The vibe I get from it is "dumb bitch feminist accused a guy of something, let's circle-jerk about what a dumb bitch she is". Granted, the OP did not in fact say anything so uncivil, and this may just be me projecting. I apologize for that.
The vibe I got was "dumb sensationalist journalist accused a guy of something, let's circle-jerk about what a jerk she is".
However, that might me projecting my distaste for the click-bait journalism of most major modern 'news' outlets.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5