Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Tim Hunt Debacle (or: How to get a professor, lord and noble prize winner fired)  (Read 6422 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

I also like how apparently male suicide rate and school achievement was on topic, but discrimination against women in science is "hilariously out of topic".

Of course it is.  The topic was that white straight males are oppressed.  Anyone talking about anything else is derailing.  He didn't start this thread looking for an argument, he started it looking for confirmation.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, you're ignoring all the parts where he himself said he though what he meant. Even if it was entirely a joke, that doesn't magically make what he says criticism-proof. It's totally possible to be offensive with a joke.

Where's that? Honestly, I haven't seen much of an expalnation of him talking about it.

Did you read that article? They didn't say "Hey, there is no problem in science", they said "Hey, maybe arguing about what exactly one honorary professor did or didn't do isn't the best way to address those problem."

To be honest, making a big deal out of what he said isn't going to address the problems either or, in fact, do anything except get public opinion riled up against people trying to push for change.

I also like how apparently male suicide rate and school achievement was on topic, but discrimination against women in science is "hilariously out of topic".

The stuff regarding male suicide rate and school achievement was nowhere near on topic, trust me.

As far as I know, the journalists faithfully reported what he said. It's only slander if it's false.

So yeah, the reaction against Tim Hunt was harsh, like all the internet mobs. On the other hand, what he said was at best inappropriate and dumb. One's live shouldn't be ruined because one said something insensitive and dumb, but then his life wasn't ruined, so that's fine.

I think Connie St Louis did what she though was right, and I don't see any gross breach of journalism ethics.

There's a lot of contradictions on what she said. It depends on whether you trust the EC or the journalist, really.

For the record, I also find that you DO smell of MRA Rex.

I smell of improper thoughts. To Room 101 with me.

Of course it is.  The topic was that white straight males are oppressed.  Anyone talking about anything else is derailing.  He didn't start this thread looking for an argument, he started it looking for confirmation.

This guy, man. Immediately tries to derail the thread and then when it starts to get back on track tries to derail again.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

This guy, man. Immediately tries to derail the thread and then when it starts to get back on track tries to derail again.

Telling you that you are wrong isn't derailing.

Ironically that is the exact flaw in thinking that leads to these "boo hooo white males are oppressed!" threads.  Because, btw, you aren't oppressed.  Just thought you should know that.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Telling you that you are wrong isn't derailing.

Ironically that is the exact flaw in thinking that leads to these "boo hooo white males are oppressed!" threads.  Because, btw, you aren't oppressed.  Just thought you should know that.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]