Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Roll to Sieze Antimatter Shipments  (Read 2589 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Roll to Sieze Antimatter Shipments
« on: June 25, 2015, 05:34:58 pm »

Third RtD! Since it's summer, I figured I'd have a lot more spare time than during school.

Playerlist:
-Spiderking50
-Playergamer
-Yourmaster
-
-

Waitlist
null

You are the equivalent of a space pirate... except that your goal is to pirate antimatter transports that were meant to be pirated. Still, there are others who want the same loot, and the filthy Terrans are trying to take the antimatter as well! Your goal is to stop them, get the antimatter, and get paid.
The players will begin with a spacecraft on the edge of becoming obselete... but still functional and far superior to the Terran boarding craft. By taking the antimatter, you may decide the fate of the whole human race, so be careful who you hand it over to.

The Plight of The Colonies

In 2070, a starship had been sent to Beta Pictoris containing self-replicating probes. Over the next thousand years, these 'Starminers' would construct magnetic filters to sift antimatter molecules out of Beta Pictoris' colossal dust ring, formed by cosmic rays impacting the disk and trapped by the star's magnetic field. They would begin shipping near the end of the millennium, which would arrive after hundreds of years of interstellar travel using antimatter propulsion.
It is now the year 3010 AD, and the Starminers are beginning to return. The first shipment is due to arrive soon, but the factions of the solar system have already begun making plans to be the first to secure it.
Spoiler: Plot stuff (click to show/hide)

Earth-Luna

Centuries of peace and warfare between the three Service Providers of the world had pushed the physical sciences to the limits. Fiendishly rich, these massive corporations were willing to shell out inordinate amounts of dough for pretty much anything that would give them an advantage. Antimatter is no exception.
Though the SPs fight each other on a regular basis, having no political lobbies available through which to continue negotiations, their affairs need not concern the citizens, who can plug into the same Worldnet regardless of their SP. The SPs simply run the world and its outward politics with the colonies, although Terrans are often chauvinistic and look down on the backward colonies.

Spoiler: Earth stuff (click to show/hide)
The Colonies

The colonies, through centuries of hard work, have caught up in tech to Earth-Luna, and have even begun to surpass them in megaconstruction and starship engineering. The Terrans have no need of such frivolities, but to the colony dwellers it is what makes them different from the overindulgent Terran society.

Spoiler: Colony stuff (click to show/hide)

A typical colony-dweller is bonded at birth to a piece of neural emulation hardware, and spends his childhood raising an emulation of himself known as a Ghost. Ghosts are akin to artificial intelligences, but rather than being confined to a computer chip, a Ghost lives inside a quantum computational matrix known as Logic Crystal. This substance is housed in nearly all the decorations and ornaments found in a colony's interior, and individual patches of logic crystal are appropriated and released by ghosts so that they may follow their human hosts whenever possible. Most citizens and their ghosts behave as one, solving problems together and talking to each other in private, but representing only a single individual in public. When a host dies, however, his Ghost is made free and allowed to roam the colony. As such, the ghost population of the colonies has been steadily increasing as the centuries have passed. Some people separate themselves from their ghosts before death, living as close brothers but walking separate paths of life. 

Technology

Technology has not evolved into rayguns and energy shields quite yet, although there have been several much-appreciated advances in the sciences.

Spoiler: Tech stuff (click to show/hide)
Mechanics

This RtD is time-based rather than turn-based, so you can perform multiple significant actions in one turn if you can physically fit the action in. I might truncate an action if circumstances change and you didn't state how to respond to changed circumstances. For example, if you want to empty a magazine into an enemy behind cover, reload, and fire again, all 3 actions will require a roll. If you fail the reload, you might get gunned down because you're no longer suppressing the enemy. So I would cut off the roll as you fail the reload and allow you to take a different action like diving behind cover, for example.

Actions are rolled with a d6, but the results are worded slightly differently. 1's and 2's have the same effect, except that 1's cannot be repeated while 2's just lose time. Same with 3's and 4's.
[1] Failure, action will not be possible to do again (eg. your desk explodes, losing all of your extremely vital science data)
[2] Failure, but you only lose time (eg. you drop a magazine while reloading, wasting time and possibly getting you hurt)
[3] Success, but it can't be replicated (eg. you cobble together a laser pistol, but the welding tool got too hot and melted)
[4] Success, can be reproduced (eg. you build a revolutionary smartmetal controller that fits on a wristwatch, fully documenting your steps)
[5] Good overshoot (eg. you spray machine gun fire at a helicopter and somehow hit the pilot, causing it to crash)
[6] Bad overshoot (eg. you try to pick a door lock and succeed, only to find an armed assassin on the other side, waiting for you)

By default, actions involve 1 roll. Agile characters might be able to roll a die to dodge an incoming attack, but otherwise combat for the most part is also dependent on single rolls. In general, the damage you take, the degree to which you can convince people, and the complexity of what you can build is based on your character's own subjective capabilities, so wearing armor will still help even if it doesn't directly modify any rolls.

Actions can be interrupted mid-turn, which may in some cases lead to a character comboing several actions before the other has a chance to respond.

Traits are effects that modify actions with respect to the dice. These are a couple of examples of what you'll see:

Heavy Lifter: Physical feats always succeed (but can still be dodged)
This means that punches, heavy lifting, ripping a drone in half with your bare hands, etc, will always happen if it's physically possible for you to do it, but you can't overshoot. Your punch won't break your fingers or fail due to improper balance, for example. This trait works by removing the random factor.
Fast Hands: Actions that require dexterous hands (like reloading) are always reversible.
This one overrides your roll, basically giving you a 2 instead of a 1, a 4 instead of a 3, and a 6 instead of a 5. It means you will never do stupid things like dropping your arc sword into Neptune's atmosphere while drawing it.
!!Science!!: Replace all odd science rolls with Good Overshoots, and all even science rolls with Bad Overshoots.
This would be a fun trait to have. It's balanced on paper, I guess.
Smartmetal Jinxing: This character has implants that let him interfere with smartmetal activations that aren't simultaneous.
This is an example of a system trait. It doesn't modify your actions but simply extends what your character is able to do, physically. In this case, smartmetal whips and movements won't work against this character unless they are done in extremely quick succession, or the character allows it to happen.
Cautious: Good Overshoots are replaced with reproducible success, while Bad Overshoots are replaced with irreversible failure.
This is a universal trait, meaning it applies to all actions.

There are also some boring traits, like "+1 to using guns, unless you overshoot," but those are typically rare because they are, well, boring. Also, a [3] is not strictly better than a [2], as an example, since a [3] locks in the outcome while a [2] lets you retry or change your plan.

Some actions won't make sense for your character to do. For example, if your character jumps in the cockpit of a helicopter, but doesn't know how to pilot, then he can't possibly succeed. For these situations, a success counts as a "you don't screw up" moment, which can mean that, for example, the helicopter doesn't start and you end up not hurting yourself.

In this kind of scenario, you'll receive a warning from the GM (me) that 3's and 4's will not succeed. However, overshoots will still be overshoots, so if you roll a 5 your character will miraculously be able to pilot the helicopter and save his friends. Should you wish to try your luck, you can go ahead and ignore the warning.

Sign-ups

You can play either as a colonial or a Terran, but be warned that starship engineering is the one advantage the colonials have over the Terrans. Terran ships are likely to be shot down a lot.

For your traits, simply list two or three things that your character is good at or bad at, and I'll do my best to balance it. If special considerations are needed, then I'll send a PM.

Spoiler: Charsheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 03:26:26 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
Re: Roll to Sieze Antimatter Shipments - Open
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 09:00:55 pm »

Character Name: Jon Sirus
Place of Origin: Mars
Choose a colony, Luna.
Bio: A wiz kid in regards to genetic engineering. He was born to be smart, in fact, his DNA was programmed for it. Little bit of a self control issue though. His mutated body can handle most things without any permanent effects dying.
Background:
Specialties: Very good at bio (bio related overshoots are now good successes), !!Science!!!, Easily mutable,
Drawbacks: "Yeah why not" (Poor decision making almost constantly.)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 09:34:40 pm by Spiderking50 »
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 09:08:37 pm »

Place of Origin: Mars (Is that ok?)

I don't see why you'd ask, I spent a good part of the main post describing what the colonies are like. ;)
The most likely places of origin are one of the five colonies, Earth, or Luna. These are the population centers.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Sieze Antimatter Shipments - Open (looking for ~5 players)
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 09:10:06 pm »

That's the reason I asked. Martians are rare and reclusive, so its unlikely I'd be from there. As a result, I thought you may not allow it.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 09:29:55 pm »

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 09:32:07 pm »

Character Name:Alexander "Rocket" Raman
Place of Origin: Limbo
Bio: Alexander was born on Limbo, yet he didn't want to become a pilot at all. He was, however good at making and creating designs for things. Obviously, the thing to do with these gifts was to join a gang and beat the shit out of people. His nickname comes from the fact he created a makeshift missile launcher which killed somebody, but also got a piece of shrapnel lodged in his face. That was interesting to explain.
Specialties:!!Science!! and mechanics. On the downside, his dislike of actual ship piloting and lack of practice actually made him worse at it.
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 09:44:29 pm »

That's the reason I asked. Martians are rare and reclusive, so its unlikely I'd be from there. As a result, I thought you may not allow it.

I actually figured most players would be from Mars, because though reclusive antisocial types, they are also the much-loved mad scientist types.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 09:54:39 pm »

Oh, I just like the genetic engeering aspect. Thats my favorite thing about sci-fi... oh man... i guess that counts as mad scientist  :o :P

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 03:04:09 am »

Name: Ryan Anderson
Place of Origin: Venus
Bio: Randy Rennoll was born on Venus about 30 years before the antimatter piracy. He was born into a poor family, and pretty quickly that devolved into no family, with both his parents dead or missing. From a young age, Randy had to look out for himself, and, eventually, he joined a small street gang. Over the years, the gang expanded, and Randy worked his way up the ladder, becoming fairly high-ranking muscle.

Eventually, Randy found a girl, and decided he wanted to start a family. Not wanting to get his family mixed up in this, he went to the pigs for help. About 2 weeks later, a massive police sweep cut off the head of Rennoll's gang, capturing or killing almost every high-ranking member. Rennoll himself was shot to pieces outside a hotel, having fired on the arresting officers, according to the police.

A few cities away, Ryan Anderson was born. After a few years, Ryan was approached by the government, and cut a simple deal. Either he gave them some help with this antimatter thing, or Randy Rennoll's address would be sent to every member of his former gang still alive, along with a log of all his conversations with the police. Ryan, now the father of a three year-old, didn't have a choice.

Specialties:
Gang Muscle: Ryan knows his way around weapons of all sorts, from guns to fists.
Intimidating Appearance: Ryan is a pretty big dude. He's 6'6, and weighs a couple hundred pounds, almost all muscle. Plus, he still looks a bit like a gangster.
House Built of Skeletons: Ryan has around a hundred gangsters who would be happy to kill him, from released bosses to wannabes. They don't know he ratted them out, but the government tried to bury it, so it can't be that hard to find.

Ryan Anderson is Randy Rennoll, correct? Just asking to make sure I didn't mess anything up.

How's this for traits?
Gang Muscle: In melee/ballistic weapon combat rolls, [2]'s and [3]'s are replaced with [4]'s ((doesn't make rookie mistakes))
Intimidating Appearance: In conversations, your rolls are either [1], [3], or [5] ((tends to leave a lasting impression))

Character Name:Alexander "Rocket" Raman
Place of Origin: Limbo
Bio: Alexander was born on Limbo, yet he didn't want to become a pilot at all. He was, however good at making and creating designs for things. Obviously, the thing to do with these gifts was to join a gang and beat the shit out of people. His nickname comes from the fact he created a makeshift missile launcher which killed somebody, but also got a piece of shrapnel lodged in his face. That was interesting to explain.
Specialties:!!Science!! and mechanics. On the downside, his dislike of actual ship piloting and lack of practice actually made him worse at it.

Lots of Limbo gangsters here. That's probably to be expected, as Venus is the most successful and urban-like colony.

I can give you the !!Science!! trait, as well as:
Mechanical Expert: Can figure out most machinery. For crafting and mechanics, [1]'s and [6]'s become [2]'s. ((You usually know what you're doing and don't screw things up))
Bad Pilot: Helpless when flying atmospheric vehicles. ((Basically like having never driven a car))

Limboites are naturally assumed to be good pilots, so the last trait is just an informational thing.

Choose a colony, Luna.
Bio: A wiz kid in regards to genetic engineering. He was born to be smart, in fact, his DNA was programmed for it. Little bit of a self control issue though. His mutated body can handle most things without any permanent effects dying.
Background:
Specialties: Very good at bio (Intimidating Appearance: ), !!Science!!!, Easily mutable,

Does mutable imply "Attention Deficit... Ooh Shiny!", easy compatibility with mutations/gene therapy and stuff, or both?

Poor decision making is more of a player thing rather than a character trait. You don't need a drawback per se though. It just helps balance characters who otherwise have very strong skills.

For trait's I'm thinking just !!Science!! and:
Trained Professional: Biology-related [5]'s and [6]'s become [4]'s.
Mutable Genes: Highly receptive to martian bioaugs/genemods.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 07:36:43 am »

I'm good with that.
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 08:37:45 am »

Choose a colony, Luna.
Background:
Specialties: Very good at bio (Intimidating Appearance: ), !!Science!!!, Easily mutable,

Does mutable imply "Attention Deficit... Ooh Shiny!", easy compatibility with mutations/gene therapy and stuff, or both?

Poor decision making is more of a player thing rather than a character trait. You don't need a drawback per se though. It just helps balance characters who otherwise have very strong skills.

It means that he is highly receptive to genetic modification. Doesn't have any attention disorders, he probably has the opposite and is very focused. The bio related thing seems like a draw back, unless I'm missing something, because I can't get good overshoots on bio related things now.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 10:01:59 am »

That's good. And yeah, he was originally Rennoll but he basically went into witness protection.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 02:31:11 pm »

Still looking for players. I aim to start with 5, but since this is more combat-focused a waitlist is in order. Probably.

Choose a colony, Luna.
Background:

It means that he is highly receptive to genetic modification. Doesn't have any attention disorders, he probably has the opposite and is very focused. The bio related thing seems like a draw back, unless I'm missing something, because I can't get good overshoots on bio related things now.

Oh, well I thought that was what you wanted to have. ;)

It's an overall buff because while good overshoots are great, bad overshoots are really bad. You could just say "[6]'s become [4]'s" and be done with it, though. That's a straight buff.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 05:47:41 pm »

I like buffs!  :P I'll take it!  ;D

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2015, 02:55:54 pm »

So is this game going to start in the near future? Or are we waiting for more players before we start?
Pages: [1] 2