Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 69

Author Topic: Persona: Gaiden - OOC - Waitlist Open - Who's the MC?  (Read 61565 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Persona: Gaiden - OOC - Waitlist Open - Who's the MC?
« Reply #840 on: July 02, 2015, 11:19:08 am »

It just seems strange that it appears to hint at inner nature and such, rather than outer nature, since that's already rather visible.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: July 02, 2015, 01:21:25 pm »

I really have no idea why Ammy would be Kiyoshi's Persona...
Hm. A conundrum have I.
Black lives matter.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: July 02, 2015, 01:49:41 pm »

I think from what I can gather your first persona tends to be what you try to project to the outside world, at least initially, while the evolved persona is sort of a more refined one that reflects more of your whole self, though both are supposed to be masks.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: July 02, 2015, 01:50:43 pm »

...so Robin tries to project the image of a megalomaniacal evil overlord?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: July 02, 2015, 01:51:49 pm »

... Apparently.

Not my fault yall are terrible at picking personas :P
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: July 02, 2015, 02:09:00 pm »

I don't think the OP exactly included a rundown on all the intricacies of Personas.

As far as I know, they were a representation of the Inner psyche. In fact, the OP just says they're a representation of the psyche. There's no real logical reason to believe that that meant the outer psyche/fake you. It also gives very little info about the Arcanas, which is probably why Blitz chose the Sun. Unless you already knew quite a bit about the Persona games, or did a lot of research before making your character, going into this you can't really be blamed for lack of knowledge.

Plus, the wiki says, and I copypasta, "Shadows are malevolent manifestations of one's inner thoughts, while a Persona is a manifestation of the same feelings but tamed and trained.", in addition to "A Persona is a manifestation of a person's personality in the Persona series, referred to as a "mask" for an individual to use to face hardship."

While it says mask, it's talking about what you use to fight giant demon things, and, well...hardship takes on a different meaning.

Spoiler: More quotes from wiki (click to show/hide)

...You can see why I was rather unconvinced of Personas being the outer/fake self.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: July 02, 2015, 02:11:47 pm »

*Sigh*

It doesn't matter what they where in the original games, here they are whatever Twin says they are. So just ask him. No reason to argue about it  :-\.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: July 02, 2015, 02:12:29 pm »

Stirk?

The voice of reason?

I have gone mad. :P
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: July 02, 2015, 02:14:51 pm »

I don't think the OP exactly included a rundown on all the intricacies of Personas.

As far as I know, they were a representation of the Inner psyche. In fact, the OP just says they're a representation of the psyche. There's no real logical reason to believe that that meant the outer psyche/fake you. It also gives very little info about the Arcanas, which is probably why Blitz chose the Sun. Unless you already knew quite a bit about the Persona games, or did a lot of research before making your character, going into this you can't really be blamed for lack of knowledge.

Plus, the wiki says, and I copypasta, "Shadows are malevolent manifestations of one's inner thoughts, while a Persona is a manifestation of the same feelings but tamed and trained.", in addition to "A Persona is a manifestation of a person's personality in the Persona series, referred to as a "mask" for an individual to use to face hardship."

While it says mask, it's talking about what you use to fight giant demon things, and, well...hardship takes on a different meaning.

Spoiler: More quotes from wiki (click to show/hide)

...You can see why I was rather unconvinced of Personas being the outer/fake self.
This. Persona doesn't exactly hew ultra-closely to Jung's teachings, and there aren't all that many people in-universe (the Kirijo Group possibly, Izanami maybe, Igor, Philemon) who are aware of the true nature of Persona exactly.

*Sigh*

It doesn't matter what they where in the original games, here they are whatever Twin says they are. So just ask him. No reason to argue about it  :-\ .
...Twin, say Personae are the manifestations of people's desires for ice cream or something. Please. :P

Mistwing

• Bay Watcher
  • Writing too much to keep up
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: July 02, 2015, 02:16:33 pm »

Yeah. It's not really that important. And the meaning has become quite changed and blurred since the first game. It's not WRONG to say they're basically just your shadow under your control. Though keep in mind that anything a character of the games says isn't guaranteed to be true. Teddie, for example, had very limited understanding and told a lot of partial truths.

Igor is very likely the only reliable source. And he's the one that says the mask thing.

But yeah. It's not perfectly clear. Either way, it's got to do with your Psyche.
Is your sexual purity worth more than bringing the dead back to life!?
----
I'M INSERTING MY DOUBLE MAXIMUM REPEATING WIND
INTO YOU DIRECTLY

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: July 02, 2015, 02:17:59 pm »

Yeah, most people in the games who aren't called Igor are probably Unreliable Narrators in terms of Personae.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: July 02, 2015, 02:19:04 pm »

Obviously personae represent your genitals.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: July 02, 2015, 02:19:42 pm »

It is Jungian psychology, not Freudian  ::).
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: July 02, 2015, 02:20:05 pm »

naw m8
firstly, that's disgusting
secondly, they represent clearly people's opinions on shipping

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: July 02, 2015, 02:20:52 pm »

...so Sachi thinks it only ever hurts people?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 69