Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14

Author Topic: Alternative Dwarven Economy: Revolts, Schools, Taxes, and Industry. (Long)  (Read 24567 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile

Everyone who does a job would get a wage, based on their highest skilled profession. The money would come from the bank, which would have the fortresses wealth of coins. Every immigrant would come with coins in a pouch on them like everyone has in adventure mode, and you could buy coins off of caravans, or produce them in fortress. Simply putting a few jobs to make stacks of coins would easily make up for a year's wage, in a small or medium fortress. When a dwarf spends money, that money is kept in the store, with that store paying some of the money back to the bank at the set intervals for tax collection. Thus the money is put back into circulation.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

That would require a single thing to limit the negative FPS impact, which is recombining stacks (which would also be a godsend for spent crossbow ammo)

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile

I'm guessing the old hauler problem is solved with the "free, but incredibly shitty food" mechanic. And they can drink WATER.

(Scare chord)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, would we see merchants that rely on buying/selling profits instead of government coin?

I.e. they buy swords made by bored craftsmen and sell them at a higher price.

Edit: and yes.  I have heard stories of the $'s EVERYWHERE.
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Merchants would have some of the store's coinage left to the owner, I doubt it'd need anyone other than the owner. So those who work in stores will often be richer than most, able to afford roasts and giant cave spider silk clothing and such.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile

Merchants would have some of the store's coinage left to the owner, I doubt it'd need anyone other than the owner. So those who work in stores will often be richer than most, able to afford roasts and giant cave spider silk clothing and such.

IF they're successful.  A merchant who exclusively sells carved wooden cups would NOT make good business in a fort full of new elven immigrants.
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile

I just realized this comes to an enormous problem..

If you have a skilled, bored clothier, clothes will often be too expensive for commoners to afford.  So you have a shopkeeper who sells clothes made by his Clothier friend going bankrupt because nobody can afford them, and the entire fortress wearing either stolen goblin clothing, or nothing.

Unless dwarves are allowed to use fortress property freely, so you can just have your salaried clothier make some for residents for free(?)

Therleth: Hey man, I got this nice suit.
Cerol: Where'd you buy it? Up at Logem's shop? You must be wealthy, those things are worth like $5000 apiece.
Therleth: I found it lying on the ground and nobody claimed ownership.
Cerol: Oh. I should try that.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Never thought of that. Bet leather clothing would make up for it, even masterwork leather clothing isn't work as much as untreated masterwork wool clothing.

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile

So, you could identify social class by looking at what they're wearing quite effectively...

Troll fur/Scavanged(?): You're a hauler who gets by on literally no pay.
Leather: You're a poor bastard, maybe a miner, wood cutter or cheapskate.

Wool: You've got a steady income, probably a government job. (a competent carpenter, perhaps?)
Cloth: You're pretty good at your job and you get a good salary.

Silk: You're either a noble, criminal, or you got the only shop in town.

Masterwork anything: Thief.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, kind of like looking at a kid with a Rollex next to a kid with a dollar store watch. Min you, dollar store watches can be cool.

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile

I think I should sketch up how the economy would look.  But it is becoming late. I'll see what I can pull off tomorrow.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, from what I understand they'd buy a shop and make thier money from other dwarves if they could afford the shop, taking a random assortment of items to sell. So something similar could be reinstated, with them actually paying the Government for some initial stock perhaps based on the preferences of a random number of long-term acquaintances/friends (or their own, if they have none.) So if they know someone who likes rings, and someone who likes amulets, and they themselves like crowns for example, they'd buy those items from the government (if possible, like anything else, made from something they like, such as galena and sand pear wood,) to sell at a profit (perhaps based partly on what going trade agreements with the caravans are - caravans buy them for 132%, so they buy them at base cost 100% and sell them at 116%,) and be guaranteed a few customers at any time. Especially since many dwarves like trinkets such as these.

Dwarves would also presumably only buy clothing if someone happened to be selling an article they need and/or made from something they like. A dwarf with spare money who doesn't need that cave spider silk shirt (since compared to GCS silk, regular is dirt cheap,) may still buy that shirt because they like regular cave spider silk. If they have room, they may equip it. If not, they store it for when they need to change out their shirt ("Within the last season, Urist was pleased/happy he could purchase a spare shirt.")

It'd also be kinda neat to let caravaneers buy and sell separate stuff from their "main stock" (the stuff that you get to nose around,) so they can trade separately with your residents. Room for dwarves who like and dislike commerce and trade to enjoy or hate the experience of getting items they like that aren't available in-house from the visiting merchants ("Urist was angered when eh was force to buy/happy at getting to buy a claystone ring from a caravan merchant.")

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I like the idea of merchants selling to the caravans. Never thought of that either, but it'd be great if those enterprising bastards went off and traded their goods to the caravan.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tell us more about facts, you seem to know all of them.

That first quote (from DF talk #20) was from 2013. They have indeed been planning this since 2009. That's over six years.. Just listen to them talk, read the FotF posts: they have been completely consistent with their vision since then.

But seriously, your whole argument now consists in blatantly denying the developer's statements because you think that they probably have changed their minds? If that's the case I think we don't need to discuss this anymore, comrad. Not even going to go through the rest of your post. Great job at wasting our time.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, StagnantSoul. What was it that we were talking about before this pointless discussion came about? It had something to do with taxes...

Good job of wasting my time Ribs.  You can go join Splint now in the 'people who have given up on rational debate' camp.

You would prefer the hang on every word of the devs like it were sacred writ rather than think, that is your choice I guess but it does make discussion fairly pointless. 

The purpose of a SUGGESTIONS forum is to add new ideas into the system, not regurgitate old ideas from dev pages back to the devs.

And the INTERNET FIGHT actually ended with someone decking the other in the face.

Not without warning. I gave him a few outs before, and not only he decided to keep going but also to provoke another guy (who was being much nicer to him than I was) into this mess. Absolute madman.

You are the one that gave up Ribs. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 07:31:10 am by GoblinCookie »

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile

Tell us more about facts, you seem to know all of them.

That first quote (from DF talk #20) was from 2013. They have indeed been planning this since 2009. That's over six years.. Just listen to them talk, read the FotF posts: they have been completely consistent with their vision since then.

But seriously, your whole argument now consists in blatantly denying the developer's statements because you think that they probably have changed their minds? If that's the case I think we don't need to discuss this anymore, comrad. Not even going to go through the rest of your post. Great job at wasting our time.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, StagnantSoul. What was it that we were talking about before this pointless discussion came about? It had something to do with taxes...

Good job of wasting my time Ribs.  You can go join Splint now in the 'people who have given up on rational debate' camp.

You would prefer the hang on every word of the devs like it were sacred writ rather than think, that is your choice I guess but it does make discussion fairly pointless. 

The purpose of a SUGGESTIONS forum is to add new ideas into the system, not regurgitate old ideas from dev pages back to the devs.

And the INTERNET FIGHT actually ended with someone decking the other in the face.

Not without warning. I gave him a few outs before, and not only he decided to keep going but also to provoke another guy (who was being much nicer to him than I was) into this mess. Absolute madman.

You are the one that gave up Ribs. 

We're looking at how an economy works and how it could fit in with what Toady has in mind.  Ignoring that leads to things like "ADD GUNZ."

Also, it's very clear the thread has moved on.  You should too.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, it's very clear the thread has moved on.  You should too.

Not quite, because twice now I've felt insulted, however passive-agressive and politely.

There was no "rational" debate. A civil argument, maybe, but not a debate. We weren't weighing pros and cons of adding this thing or that, but were arguing like a collective trio of morons over what were possible future additions and what was currently here, based on a combination of past, present, and possible future content, along with first-hand observations in-game, and possibly in addition to political interpretations.

I personally remained civil for the most part, and even in a debate one can at least try to see the reasoning the other party has. From what I saw, your reasoning about things stemmed largely from "this is how the game is because this is how the currently game is," "it's been x years since this dev statement or that," and "If they wanted to make a feudal society they'd have done that from the get go," discounting the fact that in it's earlier form, the game was hideously complex and broken in many areas, and it was a nightmare just getting enough food to not die of mass starvation come winter, and once the economy activated, you had to near-scramble to make sure everyone had enough work as time went on so they could pay their rent and afford food.

In the present state however, you'll only want for sustenance if you deliberately settled in a desolate place with no seeds, making even caravan visits for anything other provoking enemies to come for your wealth and importing metal and rarer cut gems pointless.

You also decided on using countries that have no tangible relation to the argument at hand being pulled up as examples (a fear/forced indoctrination-based police state, and a broken Federal Republic - neither one of which have anything to do with anything here other than the former being on paper, a communist state - and a horrifically corrupt and inhumane one at that.

You would prefer the hang on every word of the devs like it were sacred writ rather than think

We aren't hanging onto it as "sacred writ." We're tangibly showing you precisely why we have reasons to interpret implied connections of a particular nature in addition to what we can perceive due to the titles, nature of how they're acquired, and what role and purpose these nobles would serve beyond being annoying (at present, they serve no purpose other than a benchmark of your productivity, so why keep them in at all if not for a reason further down the line?) Even if that's not how the game works right specifically now.

However, I also conceded that while this is what I'm guessing may be (a simplified feudal system wherein you may at least in part be dependant on surrounding communities that are built post-foundation for both necessities and a source of recruits, while they depend on you to protect them from threats that don't warrant the General's attention,) it may not necessarily be what will be. But until Toady makes a statement to otherwise, his own word is the most relevant reason to make certain assumptions at all.

Additionally, because these titles imply feudal nobility, from that alone one can make a reasonable assumption about the future economic and possible political nature of dwarven civs much later in the game's development, irrespective of what is currently in place. If they aren't intended to imply such a connection, they'd be renamed to something else (Councillors, Governors, or something like that,) that more closely resembles the current communist mostly-egalitarian confederacy set up at present.

I could also say you just insulted both me and Ribs, for the second time at least, even if exceptionally politely (which is better than what people elsewhere would have done.)

The purpose of a SUGGESTIONS forum is to add new ideas into the system

How was what you were arguing for (the current nature of the game, which is partly due to various things being in need of massive overhauls that are not even on the Dev's immediate radar right now, due to Taverns, scholars, and such being the current focus,) contributing anything either? Suggestions are about things for the future of the game. Feudalism lite seems to be what the future entails for the game, based on dev statements, first-hand observations, and guesswork based upon all sources available, in code and in content - past, present, and possible future. I've gone back through the thread, and you have not taken into account past or future, only present.

I at least did have some ideas regarding handling debtors, possible forced replacement of site leaders that are "incompetent," the payment of taxes to the monarch by way of a value of goods you select yourself, from the stocks, or hell, even just giving a few stacks of gold or silver coins to meet the value (if you owe 7500 money in tax, just set a single full stack of gold coins to pay, since each coin is worth 15 money,) the use of sliders - however flawed that idea would be - to set taxation of areas you control (possibly using a similar system to how you place orders with caravans?) And how militarized they are.

All I've actually seen from you, is in regards to how we'd collect any taxes - sending someone out with a wagon or pack animal to collect the goods. Which I think is a great idea that none of the rest of us had mentioned, and the code could be partly reused for sending trainers out with shipments of equipment when you want to raise a group of soldiers off-site.

Instead, you've largely argued things don't exist because they don't exist at present (as in, like things we have now - moving groups, active world, actual values for civilizations and individuals,) the code did not exist before the current version. YOu also argued that certain bugs - like lazy nobles not being lazy, aren't bugs, but unimplemented features as of v34+. They were lazy before, and now they aren't, and they aren't supposed to be active members of the workforce. However it hasn't been addressed because unlike the size bug for example, it isn't a gamebreaker bug.

As I've said, the game's civs as a whole more heavily resemble right now, a bunch of egalitarian confederacies of autonomous sites that have no use for eachother in any capacity. However, based on implied connections, dev statements, and stuff that was dummied out or in need of repair because it was just frustrating, had some kind of conflict in the code with something else, or severely hurt the game's ability to function, we can assume we won't always have it like that.

Why have hillocks surround the fortresses, made out of dirt, with virtually no protection beyond a token handful of poorly equipped soldiers, if not to have them serve some other function later on? Why have nobles at all when Mayors can do everything? Why have soldiers if we can kill everything with traps? Why keep coins as something we can make, if the economy isn't going to return in a more functional form? Why can't we interpret the game's future as being more semi-feudal than communistic(I say semi, because we as players still need to have some degree of autonomy and agency over our forts,) and instead must believe it will always be red sickle and star flags and commie hats mas you at least seem to think it will be?

I can say the same for current features. Why would we have fruit trees if we can just grow plump helmets and live off nothing but those? Why are some dwarves suddenly more willing to stand and fight or ignore things that they would have run away from no matter what before? Why have a Fortress Guard and Hammerer if it's only purpose is destructive to the fortress (even though they also detain violent non-child tantrum-throwers and can now reliably bash vampire brains in?) Why have dwarves tantrum at all? Why have a CMD to oversee the hospital when any old shlub can patch someone up and call it a day?

Granted I keep taking your bait, but I've also seen you as needlessly arrogant in your own right (as have others I've linked the thread to in an effort to figure out which side seemed more unfailingly fucked,) overly aggressive, and arguing for the sake of arguing, as well as finding fault in seemingly everything I, Ribs, and at points StagnantSoul as well, have said. While there's nothing wrong with that in itself, you do nothing to make us think your outlook is any better or more valid. Instead, you've fuelled a fire we have most assuredly been getting laughed at over, going so far as to passive-aggressively insult us: Calling me arrogant when I have quite clearly made testaments denouncing what I say in part, because I am by my own admission both not an expert and at least in part talking out of my ass like the ignorant plebeian I am, implying we don't think, and assuming we don't know the definition of things - even if we didn't, all it takes is a trip to wikipedia, or an online dictionary to become enlightened on a definition of something. However in spite of that, you are a very eloquent (for the most part) individual, which I do respect. Most people who do similar things are way, waaaaaaaaaay less polite and grammatically correct about things.

I also at least admit I'm no expert and guessing at shit, and Ribs goes as far as bringing forward justifiable reasons to make those assumptions with a degree of certainty on the future of the game. You, meanwhile, have only your modding and possibly playing adventure mode more fully than I ever have to back you up, without any evidence to support it beyond that or anything else to give us reason to think you may be right on one or more points, falling back mainly on "You're guess is wrong because it is," without taking into account, again: Past, present, and possible future content, as well as influences on the game, and that the game is largely going to turn into a generic western European fantasy world generator with a certain set of internal consistencies. Such settings like that will typically be operating with either an at-times confusing dark/middle ages mercantile semi-feudal system (possibly dwarves and humans,) absolute monarchies (elves,) autocracies of varying benevolence (goblins,) or freakishly powerful plutocratic monarchies (again, possibly humans and dwarves.) And these may never fully resemble their counterparts IRL for a simple reason.

Instead of being rigidly locked into it in its entirety though liekw e would be in say, Stronghold or Crusader Kings II, we'll get to fuck around in that with some degree of freedom so we can have fun, be it in building mighty fortresses that may have a few thousand people living off-site under our influence, or going on murder sprees in a city because we felt like it, manually finding people wanting to settle in unclaimed lands to segue into building a fort with a crew of your own choosing, or even just being a deranged naked dude poking everyone he comes across with a sharp metal stick to determine their friendliness. We can be heroes and bastions of safety and splendor that hardly involve themselves at all with thier surrounding towns, wretched fucks who murder and steal when needed and wretched hives that tax the surrounding lands to painful levels that simply slaughter attacking rebels, or complete fucking lunatics killing everyone they meet and a series of dirty pits subsisting on mushrooms in no better shape than the people we're supposed to influence because everyone keeps dying to werebeasts and wildlife.

All for the sake of us getting to have our own fun, we're given that freedom, rather than locked completely and unerringly into place. Now I'm sure wou'll continue, refuting things as being based on perception, or whatever, and granted some of the stuff discussed and argued requires code not yet here, but it's been said that it will come, in some fashion, by the developer. And while you can keep insulting me for trusting the word of the guy making the damn game over yours, I'm going to trust his word over yours over the future of the game because he's the one making the fucking game.

With that all said, the fire further stoked, and my ire at a slow-build, I'm going to take my holly-jolly uneducated and unthinking self and go kill plants with a weed whacker and pretend the ants and beetles fear the towering sky titan and his whirring deathblade on a stick.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14