Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Gods of the Floating Islands (5/7)  (Read 9335 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Gods of the Floating Islands (5/7)
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2015, 09:45:59 pm »

...Spiderking, that's not how Surface area or volume works.

10x10x10 is not 100, even when tapered. 10x10 is not 10.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2015, 09:53:25 pm »

I never said it was 100! Who said that? What? lol.

Its 10 square miles. Which is 10x10, unless I'm horrifically confused.

Like this but with an island in there.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 09:58:17 pm by Spiderking50 »
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2015, 10:00:47 pm »

you are :P Ten square miles is a little over 3 x 3. Ten miles squared is what you're thinking. (i.e ten miles on a side, or 100 sq miles, counting all the squares on one side of that cube there.

A cone with radius 5 (diameter 10) and height 10 has a volume of about 261.8. this makes the area a little smaller than 100 square miles though. For 100 square miles, the radius would be 5.64 miles, and the volume would be 333.11.

So, with my more spherical one, if the volume is 261.8, the radius would be about 3.97. If the volume is the higher number, then the radius would be 4.3 miles.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 10:10:28 pm by Ozarck »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2015, 10:11:11 pm »

10 square miles means ten 1x1 miles areas.

100 square miles means one 10x10 mile area.

100 cubic miles means 100 1x1x1 mile areas

1000 cubic miles means one 10x10x10 mile area.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2015, 10:22:28 pm »

I never said it was 100! Who said that? What? lol.

Its 10 square miles. Which is 10x10, unless I'm horrifically confused.

Like this but with an island in there.

10 Squaremile would be 1 row of blocks in that picture. 1 block == 1 squaremile. 2x2 thus 4 blocks = 4 sqaremiles. For comparsion manhatten has ~23 Squaremiles landsurface housing 1.6 milion people. Medieval farming is like 70 people supported per squaremile (iirc actualy numbers i would have to look up) of fertile land.

edit: doublenijaed
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2015, 10:36:55 pm »

Oh god, math makes me look stupid again. Its 100 square miles or whatever. Its 10 miles by ten miles (10x10) with a cone shaped chunky bottom. Everything else is !!magic!!.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2015, 10:39:12 pm »

So we actually have a huge area.

I have a feeling that since the land was divided into such neat cones, that odds are is a lot of stuff is at least partly standing. If completely ruined.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2015, 10:41:15 pm »

Yes but they aren't neat. They're sorta chunky. Anyhow everything was shaken up even as they flew through space, not to mention being torn asunder. And islands bump into each other too, causing more earthquakes. Almost everything but a nuclear bunker would be toppled. I'll grab some pictures. Hold on. Its not super big, ten by ten miles would be difficult to get fields and a city on. Here are some pictures, one is really big for some reason.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So there are some inspirational pictures. The breaking process was quite violent, this just happened to be the general shape most islands (or at least the habitable ones) took.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 10:49:18 pm by Spiderking50 »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2015, 11:04:01 pm »

Remember, guys, that the land isn't supposed to be super fertile, and the environment isn't supposed to be super nice. you have a lot of space, but it is difficult, unpleasant terrain. Sure you could fit a lot of people in there, and yes, given ideal circumstances you could have fairly large populations, but these are far from ideal circumstances :P

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2015, 11:05:10 pm »

Everyone in my area is Dead.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2015, 11:20:39 pm »

It would make sense that erosion and slowly turn the island into a rounddish form that turns around the center of mass if its the anchor point for the skyfloaty !!Magic!!. Plants and foilage would hold the soil on top store water and such while the bottom is subjected to the full brunt of the elements. Depending on how the islands "orbit" and rotate you would surely have some cliffs that are entirely covered by mosses and lichens while others get sanded down by winds and (sand)-storms.
All that mass must be somewhere too so i would imagine that there is quite some dust in certain winds and airstreams which in itself must form natural paterns, trapping islands in low wind areas.
Also all the water from the oceans must be in the air or wherever ... so clouds and hyperstorms? With that much water and dust (nutrients!) in the air i could see algae living in waterdropplets and such once again being the mayor producers of oxygen, temperature in the different altitudes might also play a role similar to longitude and latitude, it might influence the prevailing climate with a island higher up being colder then a lower one leading to climatic stratification.
Certain birds could feast on the airborne algae, certainly waterfowl like ducks that already lived on things like duckweed while fish must be virtually extinct.

And yes i am overthinking this a little bit.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2015, 11:23:34 pm »

It would make sense that erosion and slowly turn the island into a rounddish form that turns around the center of mass if its the anchor point for the skyfloaty !!Magic!!. Plants and foilage would hold the soil on top store water and such while the bottom is subjected to the full brunt of the elements. Depending on how the islands "orbit" and rotate you would surely have some cliffs that are entirely covered by mosses and lichens while others get sanded down by winds and (sand)-storms.
All that mass must be somewhere too so i would imagine that there is quite some dust in certain winds and airstreams which in itself must form natural paterns, trapping islands in low wind areas.
Also all the water from the oceans must be in the air or wherever ... so clouds and hyperstorms? With that much water and dust (nutrients!) in the air i could see algae living in waterdropplets and such once again being the mayor producers of oxygen, temperature in the different altitudes might also play a role similar to longitude and latitude, it might influence the prevailing climate with a island higher up being colder then a lower one leading to climatic stratification.
Certain birds could feast on the airborne algae, certainly waterfowl like ducks that already lived on things like duckweed while fish must be virtually extinct.

And yes i am overthinking this a little bit.
+1 for creative explanation of !!magic!!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2015, 11:51:28 pm »

Everyone in my area is Dead.
Yeah but you want them to be that way.

Also, for reference, average population density in medieval times ranged form 30/mile2 to 120/mile2 depending on the conditions. As in, 30 and 120 are the far extremes. 45-105 was more typical, with around 45 being Britain in 14th century(very rainy, rather cold, lots of rocks), and France being 105 or so(flat, fertile land, easily farmed).

So, at most, under ideal circumstances...maybe 12,000 people. If you were human. Some tribes will require more room for a given number, some will require less.

I could see a lot of lake islands popping up from layering dirt on the sides.

I do hope we can eventually get connections between islands? Or is it going to be impossible to really improve our lot in life, because it's basically a continuous apocalypse? Because I'll be honest, I'm not going to find the latter fun, I'm going to find it frustrating. (Your tower fell down when you hit another island! Yes, this is the third time that's happened!)

Like, if two islands collide, do they end up sticking sometimes? Or never?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2015, 11:56:54 pm »

That's actually something of a goal of mine - weaving a network of civilization and connections between islands. It's right there in my character creation. Of course, I might fail ...

Gryffindork

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2015, 12:06:13 am »

Just kidding everyone is great.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 12:09:36 am by Gryffindork »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10