Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Gods of the Floating Islands (5/7)  (Read 9341 times)

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
Re: Gods of the Floating Islands (5/7)
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2015, 08:21:25 pm »

Islands currently have little on them. Most structures were destroyed when the main world split into 10x10 chunks. If it was standing, it isn't now. Trees, rocks, stuff that wouldn't be bothered by the biggest earthquake ever, are still mostly there. Anything Constructed likely isn't, or is incredibly damaged. There would be rivers, and maybe even a cave or two, but anything hollow or on supports was destroyed along with the rest of the world. This is post-apocalypse.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2015, 08:26:11 pm »

How deep are those 10x10 chunks?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2015, 08:32:53 pm »

Kevak, you seem really dissatisfied with this game and its mechanics in general. Perhaps, if the creatures are spending their time just surviving, a little divinity can boost their survival rate enough that they have time and resources to do the other special things. Again, Exodus and - water from the rocks, defense from enemies, manna, quail, more water, cures from plagues ...

there are a lot of rationales behind why a world works the way it does. It's way to easy to ask all the "why is it this way?" questions and demand that everyone answer them to your satisfaction. It's even easy to ignore satisfactory answers and ask another question that could be easily answered by extending the logic of the previous answer just a little.

By the way, I haven't actually seen what I'd consider a "serious god game" on this forum. the closest I saw, the fourth aspect of divinity put dancing dicks into the timestream, and there was an argument about whether or not to remove them, because if we tried, we might very well infect the entirety of everything with dicks. Note, there was One planet, a myriad of dancing stars and black holes, and the timestream at that time.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2015, 08:45:19 pm »

Ok made a god, island and Tribe here. Any objections? Uff and i see that "biggest earthquake ever" just now so i may need to change parts of teh island description.   
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 09:04:44 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2015, 08:49:42 pm »

I wouldn't have you spend it on basics, except I need you to somehow spend it on defenses. And it seemed odd that you could build a shrine for free, but walls and weapons have costs. It was a tough situation to sorta work out, ya know?

So monsters are the things attacking, right?

Most non-magic weapons or defenses aren't gonna do shit to most of these monsters, is my guess. Especially once they actually start getting to be badass. Or if another God is sending something to attack.

I mean, I'm fine with this economy and I think Kevak would be too if it made sense. I'm not saying it doesn't; it could very well be that getting the undead motivated enough to do anything requires divine power. But I just think that a Palisade shouldn't cost Divinity. It also shouldn't do shit against a real threat, but since you said you wanted it to be more focused on storytelling, I would advise making us Guide our tribe more than Control them with Divinity.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2015, 08:59:03 pm »

I wouldn't have you spend it on basics, except I need you to somehow spend it on defenses. And it seemed odd that you could build a shrine for free, but walls and weapons have costs. It was a tough situation to sorta work out, ya know?

So monsters are the things attacking, right?

Most non-magic weapons or defenses aren't gonna do shit to most of these monsters, is my guess. Especially once they actually start getting to be badass. Or if another God is sending something to attack.

I mean, I'm fine with this economy and I think Kevak would be too if it made sense. I'm not saying it doesn't; it could very well be that getting the undead motivated enough to do anything requires divine power. But I just think that a Palisade shouldn't cost Divinity. It also shouldn't do shit against a real threat, but since you said you wanted it to be more focused on storytelling, I would advise making us Guide our tribe more than Control them with Divinity.

I think that that is a very well thought out and articulated reason why I should make buildings free. I am convinced. Buildings are free. They do have to be built from scratch. However, unless they have some sort of divine backing, they're not going to do much. The monsters attacking you, happen to be the monster that kicked your monster's butt. Or the butt of the monster that kicked your monster's butt. As a result, it is the current king of badassery. A ballista may hurt, but unless its got a major weakness to wood, its not gonna kill it.

Can everyone agree on this system? Buildings are free, but divinity is really needed to set up something strong.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2015, 08:59:45 pm »

Ok made a god, island and Tribe here. Any objections? Uff and i see that "biggest earthquake ever" just now so i may need to change parts of teh island description.

My objection is that your hyperlink doesn't work...

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2015, 09:02:49 pm »

That system works.

And did you ever make a template for monster creation? If so, Idunno where it is.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
Re: Gods of the Floating Islands (6/7)
« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2015, 09:05:22 pm »

Turn One Info

Monster entry goes like this:
You post that you want to enter. I PM you a set of options. You'll get three full creatures and 4 aspects. You'll then design a monster with the following format:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2015, 09:06:09 pm »

My objection is that your hyperlink doesn't work...

*headdesks* yeah its 4 in the morning and i clicked the wrong symbol ... fixed that now. Sorry.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 26, 2015, 09:08:34 pm »

This will be my character. Expect a Game of Thrones-grade Asshole here. :)
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2015, 09:11:29 pm »

@ Heph: Oh man, its 9 here. You're gonna be posting at odd hours for me. Which is fine, I am on unless I'm at my job and even then sometimes.

The chunks should really be 10x10x10 with the last ten being in a general cone shape (Pointy at the bottom, wide at the top).
Like:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 26, 2015, 09:31:36 pm »

heh atm i have more then enough time due to health reasons so i can post all day long. A few quick questions:

So free temple and buildings (given that we have the people and materials). What would it take to advance our civ in terms of tech, getting to new islands etc? Do we need divine inspirations to go from bows to crossbows, tents to houses etc.? Making entirely new discoveries?

10X10X10 miles with tapering and the lower edge ... thats a lot of volume. Does the Island-rock float normally, like if i cleave of a stone/brick from the island would it also float? 

Next up, wild monsters. How can we find them? Can we tame them? Eat them? Bait them?

Proud to be a Furry.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2015, 09:42:07 pm »

I will point out that there should be more mundane threats that can be or should be taken care of via mundane means, and I believe that reason should be applied depending on the monster and threats and all as to whether it works. Of course, the balancing factor is that any time spent building a wall isn't spent, say, building a granary, or protection against flooding. Or farms.

Oh, it's 100 square miles? You originally said 10 square miles.

And yes, Heph, considering the amount of time it took with the amount of people alive and in ready contact with one another to achieve any of those discoveries in real life, you will need to spend Divinity for that. :P
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2015, 09:44:32 pm »

Its 10 square on top, but the volume is 100. So 10x10x10(tapered)

Rolepgeek has got it.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10