Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Gods of the Floating Islands (5/7)  (Read 9352 times)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Gods of the Floating Islands (5/7)
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2015, 06:05:51 pm »

The command to do it is what costs divinity. They build it themselves, but you make it happen. Once again, that's a game thing, not a realistic thing. First shrine is free and gets built the first time you interact with your people.

Its mostly like that so that you can't build up a shrine and defenses and a hospital all without spending anything.
Why spend anything at all though? It would make sense for the people to build stuff on their own. They aren't braindead.

Well. A lot of the zombies are, but I'm pretty sure the braindead population isn't counting towards the thinking population seeing how literally every plant also is a zombie.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2015, 06:56:22 pm »

maybe they have other things on their minds. Either way, it works for me as a game mechanic.

Gryffindork

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2015, 07:09:59 pm »

(I think you guys are taking this a little too literally. I think everything so far has been great! Noj sounds like a cutie too ;) how ya doin SK)

Sheela enters the Monster Mash, hoping itll be a graveyard smash.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2015, 07:12:47 pm »

((God games have a tendency to be serious. It's sorta extremely jarring for it to be so informal/not serious at all.))

Gryffindork

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2015, 07:14:18 pm »

(It's a game. Informal is fun. Who likes an unfun game or people who make games unfun?)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 07:16:43 pm by Gryffindork »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2015, 07:26:08 pm »

((Serious can be fun. It's generally hard to suspend disbelief when you can't take a Universe Destroying God seriously.))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2015, 07:29:33 pm »

((there's serious, and there's 'obsessed over details'. I think you could rationalize the need for divinity in the command in a variety of ways, and there is RL historical precedent - the tabernacle of the Hebrews was not even the first in the OT to be commanded from on high (I think all the previous ones were in the nature of rock piles though), but Exodus goes to great lengths to describe the divine command for, and human implementation of, the design, materials, and function of the tabernacle.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2015, 07:44:14 pm »

My game is a little informal, I understand that. It isn't supposed to be reflective of a scientific world that also has gods, undead, magic, dragons, floating islands, and angels. If people built things on their own, they wouldn't need a god and their island could function without one. However, the world has ended and each island has immediate dangers that keep its people from spending tons of time doing anything but surviving. The curreny is really used for all actions, I could spin it and say "You spend one divinity to inspire a great architect to construct a shrine in your honor." or I could say "you spend a divinity to have your people build a shrine." Functionally they are the same.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2015, 07:46:47 pm »

If they're spending their time surviving. Even if a deity told them to build a shrine. They wouldn't have time. So it would make more sense if you spun it as the deity built it.

Although I would have to ask why that insect race can't just have a drone do stuff on its own or why the undead can't just have something do stuff on its own.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2015, 07:52:53 pm »

The answer is because then there would be little strategic value in spending divinity. It would make the game less like a game and more like these creatures do things and gods aren't really necessary.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2015, 07:59:15 pm »

The drones have to be getting food, Kevak. Duh. :P

My question is why (Or rather, if) we can't improve conditions on the island or find a way for them to improve conditions on the island, or eventually find a way to migrate to a different, better island that doesn't screw them over quite so hard.

In any case. I need to fluff my appearance and the interaction soon.

Spiderking, we would use Divinity for things that are actually god-like. Like miracles and shit. Appointing priests with actual priest-powers. Blessing things. Not dying to other gods antics. And so on. Needing to spend it for basics is a bit...silly.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2015, 08:03:02 pm »

I wouldn't have you spend it on basics, except I need you to somehow spend it on defenses. And it seemed odd that you could build a shrine for free, but walls and weapons have costs. It was a tough situation to sorta work out, ya know?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2015, 08:09:43 pm »

Why would we need to spend on defenses at all? Specially since islands are such shitholes that nobody would want to invade in the first place.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2015, 08:14:41 pm »

The winner of Noj's monster contest monster gets to send his monster to attack another player's island. You're gonna want defenses for those.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2015, 08:16:24 pm »

Perhaps you should list off island traits?

Cause currently you're acting like the islands are blank, flatlands with absolutely no natural defenses, buildings, rivers, or anything whatsoever.

10 miles is a pretty large area for stuff to exist on.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10