Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Will humans homogenize?  (Read 10235 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Will humans homogenize?
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2015, 01:31:00 pm »

It's big to contain THE KNOWLEDGE, and a suitably thick skull skin

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2015, 01:33:24 pm »

Hmm, I'm not so sure yet. If someone prefers not to go to a bar where a black person is serving the drinks, and enough people do that, soon black people will not be able to get jobs in bars. Similarly, if the people hiring for various jobs consistently chose for the non-black person when choosing between otherwise equal job applicants because of 'personal preference', there'd be real discrimination going on, and these black people will suffer real consequences.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2015, 01:59:07 pm »

I've been thinking a lot about race issues lately, with all the race-related shootings and violence in the (American) media lately. As always, I've come to the conclusion that racism will always be around...

...But this time, I thought about ways to end racism, not as in so socially/culturally unacceptable that nobody is racist anymore, I mean literally impossible. The only way I can see such a thing happening is if the human race genetically homogenizes until we're all more or less similar, with no real outliers or stand-out characteristics between any two humans. Is it possible that this can happen, given an infinite amount of time and assuming the human race doesn't go extinct and remains confined to Earth?

It's funny because you seem to think racism is actually in any way based on genetic differences among populations and not just good ol' fashioned universal xenophobia.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2015, 02:04:10 pm »

I've heard people say occasionally that they're not racist, but that they instead just don't like a certain ethnic group (the Chinese, in that particular case). It's the same sort of logic as for LB - if you phrase something as an opinion, you can't really be fundamentally wrong in stating your opinion (though this is also incorrect, as opinions can be ill-informed).

However, what Neonivek might have been getting at with the preferences and judgments thing was whether you use your like or dislike of a certain phenotype to affect other judgments. If you aesthetically prefer white people to black people, that's not really racism. Where it crosses into racism is when you correlate a race you don't aesthetically prefer with unrelated traits you don't prefer. Of course, people correlate beauty with goodness (and ideas of beauty do tend to be a product of one's culture and environment), which is possibly one of the foundations of racist thought (along with a mangled understanding of history, xenophobia and taught preconceptions).

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2015, 02:28:20 pm »

I've been thinking a lot about race issues lately, with all the race-related shootings and violence in the (American) media lately. As always, I've come to the conclusion that racism will always be around...

...But this time, I thought about ways to end racism, not as in so socially/culturally unacceptable that nobody is racist anymore, I mean literally impossible. The only way I can see such a thing happening is if the human race genetically homogenizes until we're all more or less similar, with no real outliers or stand-out characteristics between any two humans. Is it possible that this can happen, given an infinite amount of time and assuming the human race doesn't go extinct and remains confined to Earth?

It's funny because you seem to think racism is actually in any way based on genetic differences among populations and not just good ol' fashioned universal xenophobia.

Sufficient crossbreeding would also stamp out cultural differences between the races as well. And also yes Racism is defined as being based on genetic differences among populations. The OP stated that this would eliminate "racism" not that it would eliminate "prejudicial behavior in general".

At any rate, I believe that society would benefit if we made it illegal for the next few generations for people to marry and have children within their own race and/or ethnic group
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2015, 02:33:33 pm »

Sufficient crossbreeding would also stamp out cultural differences between the races as well.
Really?

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2015, 03:00:58 pm »

Remember that episode of the Fairly Odd Parents, where Timmy wishes everyone was the same so he would stop getting picked on for being different, and then it turned out that everyone that was picking on him before still felt superior over perceived differences?

...Yeah. Never gonna happen. I think I once heard someone say that if the human race was made up of straight white cis men, the ones with brown eyes would still discriminate against the ones with blue eyes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2015, 03:35:36 pm »

Nah, everyone would be united by their sick muscle gains brah

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2015, 03:43:35 pm »

Well, actually, if the human race was made entirely of straight white cis men, racism would disappear in a generation or so.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2015, 03:49:08 pm »

rip

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2015, 03:49:49 pm »

Well, actually, if the human race was made entirely of straight white cis men, racism would disappear in a generation or so.
Was formulating a serious response, and then got the joke. Well done.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2015, 04:04:22 pm »

Remember that episode of the Fairly Odd Parents, where Timmy wishes everyone was the same so he would stop getting picked on for being different, and then it turned out that everyone that was picking on him before still felt superior over perceived differences?

Or the lyrics to the ICP song Everybody Rize, "...fuck skin color, eveybody's blue, then what would all these bigots do? Instead of ypur tone they would hate your size, and so I must pluck out all of their eyes..."
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2015, 05:07:37 pm »

Here is the thing...

Race is mostly made up... and by mostly I mean entirely made up.

To add to that people have reinvented the definitions of those made up races to suit their own needs.

I'd honestly dare you to guess who is actually factually Caucasian by definition or not.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 05:10:35 pm by Neonivek »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2015, 05:16:35 pm »

Now that's a bit silly and on the opposit end of the spectrum of racist.

There are different races and there are differences between races, some big some small, but they do exist, and they aren't all skin deep (by that I don't mean the stereotypical behaviour shit, I'm thinking genetics and physionomy (is that a word?)). But what needs to be remembered is that we're all god damn people and that's all that matters. Every single one of us with a different set of modifiers and stats and what have you, but stripped down to our core we're still the shitty little animal we've always been, no matter how much we pile on to hide that from others and ourselves.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2015, 05:20:19 pm »

It it's not enough to be of one body, we must be of one mind.
Join the human hivemind today!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8