Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Will humans homogenize?  (Read 10231 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Will humans homogenize?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2015, 07:09:50 am »

Oh yeah, and I also forgot about the races of people from cultures that still find racemixing taboo like in Israel, and the races like the Han which are just so fucking large that they're pretty much guaranteed to only ever assimilate others into their race short of the entire world moving to China

So to answer the OP question:
No

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2015, 07:30:59 am »

3) Not sure what you mean by "private matter" in this context. Let's work with an example. Imagine that Alice is white. She says "I don't like black guys. They're icky. I refuse to date them." The following day, a black guy asks her out. She declines, and the reason for her declining is that he is black and she has chosen to not date black guys. Are you saying that she's not a racist, because this is a "private matter?" Or are you saying that yes she's a racist...but it's ok, because the venue of her actions is "private?"
There is a difference between "I prefer to date white guys" and "I refuse to date this guy because he is black." The latter is dehumanizing. She is refusing to see the man in this example as an individual and only as a member of his race. Preference is not the same as prejudice.

Edit: Okay, the first example is prejudiced too. I meant more along the lines of "I am physically more attracted to white guys." Anyway, I am way too tired to make coherent arguments and this discussion is just rife with opportunities for miscommunication so I think I'll stay out of it for now beyond what I've already said.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 08:20:07 am by nogoodnames »
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2015, 07:38:51 am »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2015, 08:23:27 am »

this reminds me of the one fairly odd parents episode from years ago where everyone becomes a grey blob and people still assert superiority for being greyer and bloobyer despite all being completely identical.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2015, 09:19:15 am »

#WILL IT BLEND?

/thread
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2015, 10:02:15 am »

Huh, a similar questiion popped up in a conversation I had a couple days earlier: Is your sex drive racist?

If anyone has hard data on this question, I'd appreciate it. Maybe a poll in this thread would be interesting.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2015, 10:18:09 am »

What... what do you even mean when you ask that? Simple aesthetic attraction, sexual attraction, capability of arousal, general libido...?

Can't really be arsed to hunt of hard data, but I will cheerfully note that there's a reason a fair amount of the phenotypically white multi-generational US families have some degree of black ancestry (and vice-versa). It's fairly rare, from what I've seen, at least, that a person's distaste for a different general phenotype is actually sufficient to turn off their randy bits, other factors allowing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2015, 10:21:49 am »

What are you attracted to is not racist. Physical attraction evaluates how a person looks, and that in turn is a direct function of said individual's phenotype. There is no difference between, say, disliking (or more accurately, not-liking) how Asian people look and disliking blondes.

Refusing to patron a black bartender is racist. That's because his bartending ability is not inherently correlated to him being black. To use your own example, doing that is *exactly* like a peanut-lover saying that someone who prefers almonds is evil! There is no significant link between liking or disliking almonds and one's moral integrity, and that preference is largely outside of the person's control.

For that matter, a non-racist only dating Asian girls could conceivably date a girl from, say, Nigeria, who due to a freak set of mutations was born looking like someone born and raised on the Asian steppe. A racist wouldn't.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2015, 10:23:39 am »

#WILL IT BLEND?

/thread
DJ blanda up here to racemix your favourite tracks

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2015, 12:16:47 pm »

Everyone has preferences, and associating someone's physical attraction to certain physical attributes with "racism" is a massive slippery slope, and also doesnt make any sense.

And nah, human beings will never actualy become a single homogenous group due to living under different conditions and mutations being a thing. Unless we somehow all start living under the same conditions and our genetics become incredibly stable and every act of breeding somehow ends up culling the exact same genes, while only transmitting the same genes that everyone else has.

On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2015, 12:36:37 pm »

Global warming will make everyone turn into Hawaiians

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2015, 12:52:54 pm »

Racism is simply having preference in regards to race. There's nothing wrong with having preference. It's ok to have preferences. If you prefer chocolate ice cream over orange sherbet, there's nothing morally improper about that, and it would be silly to say that there is. Having preferences for people is no different.

[...]

So my advice for the whole racism thing is to just get over it. Like what you like and don't worry too much about what other people like.
Do you hear that? That's 500 years of history whooshing past your clueless little head.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2015, 01:02:33 pm »

No, LB is mostly right.

What you are missing about modern history in regard to race and race violence, is when a group uses race as a basis to say 'We are the bestest best most super splendiforous people EVER, and everyone else is subhuman and can be killed for their resources."

Racial supremism is the toxic agent.
Not racial preference.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2015, 01:17:36 pm »

Toxicity has been invoked

There goes my liver

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2015, 01:19:28 pm »

Toxicity has been invoked

There goes my liver

I'm still pretty sure it has more to do with your swollen head. ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8