Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Of Substance and Spirit - OOC thread - Signups open!  (Read 7797 times)

armach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Of Substance and Spirit - OOC thread - Signups open!
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2015, 09:58:58 pm »

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 12:18:11 am by armach »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2015, 10:02:45 pm »

what needs cleared up? Can you ask some specific questions? I am unsure what you are expecting in regards to powers, besides "chaos spirits on earth with little direct influence over physical matter" powers.

Is it the method of use, the kinds of information affected, the viability, ... something else? Do you feel that the power is lacking or is merely a slight exaggeration of a common spirit characteristic? Are the powers supposed to be more like: Fire elemental, water spirit, vibration master, lightning, esp, interdimensional travel, time dilation, ability to possess animals, summon creature, summon ethereal, summon hamburgers, mass hypnosis (stupid Aizen, ruined that one), etc, etc?

Or is it too broad and vague? I tried to give a ew examples to show sort of the scope I was looking at.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2015, 10:19:29 pm »

Similar issue, if i need to change my power, I can figure something simpler out. I just saw someone who could move up to a ton of weight with their spirit, so I didn't think it was OP.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2015, 11:07:11 pm »

Note: overall increase of the human's physical ability/durability is standard for any hosting.

what needs cleared up? Can you ask some specific questions? I am unsure what you are expecting in regards to powers, besides "chaos spirits on earth with little direct influence over physical matter" powers.

Is it the method of use, the kinds of information affected, the viability, ... something else? Do you feel that the power is lacking or is merely a slight exaggeration of a common spirit characteristic? Are the powers supposed to be more like: Fire elemental, water spirit, vibration master, lightning, esp, interdimensional travel, time dilation, ability to possess animals, summon creature, summon ethereal, summon hamburgers, mass hypnosis (stupid Aizen, ruined that one), etc, etc?

Or is it too broad and vague? I tried to give a few examples to show sort of the scope I was looking at.
I'm not quite clear on how it works/what it works on.

Similar issue, if i need to change my power, I can figure something simpler out. I just saw someone who could move up to a ton of weight with their spirit, so I didn't think it was OP.
The ton of weight should probably be a combined ability, rather than something the spirit can do on its own.

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
Mostly fine. What do you mean by manipulate matter though?

The falcon appearing real, and needing nursing back to health is a bit iffy, since Spirits appear in some way insubstantial. Perhaps it had taken to possessing falcon(s) from an early age? Or if you really want, appearing as a normal falcon could be part of its domain. With spirits, there is a lot of room for exceptions, as long as they're discussed.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2015, 11:31:50 pm »

Spirit
Name: Sunny
Sunny has a weak telepathy power and she has learned that humans and spirits don't guard their thoughts as much if they think their speaking partner is an idiot. She also a telekinetic, capable of moving up to a ton of weight at once. Of course, the lighter the object, the quicker she can move it so she can't banish an car up to kill speeds, no matter how much someone annoyed her. She can also create psi shields but they only effect high speed attacks like bullets.
the relevant ton of weight ability.

okay, so how she gains information: physical proximity / contact. She went inside the lock and sort of felt out the inner workings. she Goes inside modems and the like, generates essentially a blueprint of the machinery, and looks at how the energy moves and stuff. She needs to have connected with the means of information transfer in order to understand what the information IS - symbols without context are meaningless. There are just scads of methods in which information is transferred, and I want her to be adaptive in regards to that. maybe she takes an interest in pheremones and the like and begins studying smells. She goes to a bar and can tell you who is likely to hook up with who, and why. Maybe she studies sonar, or cryptography, or magnetic resonance imaging. Maybe she reads a book, or something. As for the sort of mind map part, Larry Corriea's Grimnoire series has a character who teleports. In order to do so safely, she has to create this mind map of the location she is jumping to, or else she could end up with a beetle lodged in her brain and die. so she has a sort of "reach out and see" ability as well. Things like that.

I mean ... how does a vibrating worm vibrate stuff and how does a precog / weak telepathic do their bits, and how does a mechanical quantum entangler entangle unconnected gears?

Edit: if it doesn't work, or you have limitations / mechanisms for it to work within, or developmental ideas, I am interested. A slight (or even major :D) ability to teleport as one of the mixed powers would be nice.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 11:34:19 pm by Ozarck »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2015, 11:47:57 pm »

I just wasn't clear on the method: going inside of things to see their information.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2015, 11:53:02 pm »

Magic.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

armach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2015, 11:53:34 pm »

By matter manipulation, I was thinking of something similar to earth bending (from Avatar). I left it kinda open because I didn't know the limits of powers.
As for the falcon, It uses light to shift perceptions from it's actual appearance (the energy form) into looking like an regular earth bird (the falcon) in order to blend in. And as for the nursing, the guy thought he was nursing it back to health, but it was just regenerating it's energy, (that was lost in an earlier conflict with the purple mist spirit) which took a while due to the difficulty of manipulating external energy sources. Should I add that info into the sheet?   

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2015, 11:56:10 pm »

Yeah. How'd he not have noticed something odd about the falcon before then though? It's not like it can eat or do normal animals things like that.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2015, 12:34:11 am »

Finished my spirit.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2015, 12:35:30 am »

I just wasn't clear on the method: going inside of things to see their information.
Particularly for objects. For radio waves, she just shifts to electromagnetic view. But that's like "Hey, I know how antennae work, and what radio waves are, so .... lemme just ... act like an antennae." Maybe a touch of mimic in that instance, since that's sort of part of the idea of projecting information to her partner.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2015, 08:23:30 am »

Spoiler: Application (click to show/hide)

Anything I need to change?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 08:46:25 am by Twinwolf »
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2015, 08:39:45 am »

Description: Generally appears as either around the age of 16, or a translucent white cat. In human form, she is still somewhat translucent, and still can’t directly affect the physical plane. She appears to be wearing a blood stained white shirt, and a blue jacket over it, with long red hair down to the middle of her back.

I tried putting up a humanlike spirit back in the development thread, and Hugo said that spirits should probably be very easy to recognize as not human (and otherwise lacking in properly human characteristics). Check after my post for his exact thoughts back then.

Granted, his position may have changed from that point onward.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2015, 08:41:56 am »

Description: Generally appears as either around the age of 16, or a translucent white cat. In human form, she is still somewhat translucent, and still can’t directly affect the physical plane. She appears to be wearing a blood stained white shirt, and a blue jacket over it, with long red hair down to the middle of her back.

I tried putting up a humanlike spirit back in the development thread, and Hugo said that spirits should probably be very easy to recognize as not human (and otherwise lacking in properly human characteristics). Check after my post for his exact thoughts back then.

Granted, his position may have changed from that point onward.
Will edit it then.

EDIT: He said there would be some give-away insubstantial thing about them. Marina appears translucent in human form. Is that maybe enough?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 08:45:47 am by Twinwolf »
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2015, 08:52:59 am »

Will edit it then.

EDIT: He said there would be some give-away insubstantial thing about them. Marina appears translucent in human form. Is that maybe enough?

There's also the matter of the backstory, though, in which the spirit and human have reversed places, which really shouldn't be possible as far as I know, given how spirits and humans fundamentally differ in physiology and origin. I don't recall such a transition ever being established as possible, at least, and it'd be a pretty big deal if it was possible. A part of the setting if I recall correctly is that spirits aren't particularly aware of how humans work beyond the immediately obvious.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7