Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Pawns [OOC]  (Read 5543 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Pawns [OOC]
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2015, 04:22:16 am »

Hmm, this marriage decision is probably going to be a turning point on how Jud is going to act in the future. And some genies are difficult to put back in their bottles once released. I can't help but feel somewhat conflicted. Oh well, Jud thirsts!
Ah, well. Being a life god does have its upsides. Namely,

"Here, have this boon, Pawn of my enemy. With it you'll live forever. You also have magic super-cancer that turns you into an immobile blob incapable of independent action."  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2015, 04:44:21 am »

Yeah, sorry bout this Flying Dice, but we'd probably conflict in the near future anyway because I have some plans that'll probably clash with your life philosophy.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 05:04:59 am by Demonic Spoon »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2015, 11:09:39 am »

GM question:

How does heredity work in the case of a couple composed of Pawns or their descendents? Specifically, if Velda and Gorrin do marry and their respective boons are made to be heritable before they have children, would those children inherit all of them?

There's an 81% chance they'd inherit both.  'Magic' genetics are pretty stable, but I give them a 10% chance per boon per child of not carrying through.  So probably they would get both, but the more children the greater likelihood of only one or neither.

Maybe I should make it a Magic Mill that grinds out Flour even if you don't put wheat in?
Infinite free food seems like something that'd have a high power cost attached.
Well, they still have to cook it... and anyway, is it really that much more food then 'divinely aided harvests for the whole valley' or 'Whenever you go fishing, the fish are divinely attracted to you'? Both of those basically mean 'as much food as you want' just as much as a grindstone of magic flour producing would. And I'm the god of Artifice. Magic items (and other creations of mortal artifice, like epic magic ballads or evil genius plots and so on depending on how much the DM lets me stretch it. Though considering we have a god of magic...) are basically my thing, so that should provide a good discount to it..

Those work as percentage bonuses (the divine harvest and fish attraction), a magic mill or magic oven that always has a loaf of bread in would provide a flat bonus to food production.  I have broad numbers in the background sim*, but they aren't shown.

*The sim consists of a notepad doc with my notes on what should happen until I bother plugging it into python.  :D

Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2015, 03:07:55 pm »

Those work as percentage bonuses (the divine harvest and fish attraction), a magic mill or magic oven that always has a loaf of bread in would provide a flat bonus to food production.  I have broad numbers in the background sim*, but they aren't shown.

*The sim consists of a notepad doc with my notes on what should happen until I bother plugging it into python.  :D
My question was more 'how much does it cost' but given you didn't seem to consider that something worth discussing I'll assume I can afford it until told otherwise.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2015, 03:55:26 pm »

Happery: You can't directly create something, but you can reshape/resize things, or give them a new aspect or ability that could help here.  I will impose a restriction that reshaping something is affected by medium.  You can reshape a gust of wind, but not 'air', and that shape will be as transient as that gust.  You can reshape a 'tide' on the sea, or you can even reshape a specific bowl's worth of water, but if that transient form (the wave) breaks or the bowl of water is diluted into the sea the effect will be broken as might be expected.

So, you need an object already there, it should preferably be solid, and the cost of the effect will be significantly reduced if it can apply or relate to the Sphere of Artifice.

Also, you can grant boons instantly (or close as doesn't matter).  Time spent doesn't matter, but order of events does.
Is 'the River/Stream Bed' an acceptable object to target for a 'Craft a flood blocking wall with my symbol on it' action then?

...Actually, if I'm going to be crafting something out of the riverbed, I might as well go out and make a dam if I can afford it. Sure they won't care about electric power, but a Watermill, along with instructions on how to use it to grind grain... (pictionary type, since I assume they don't have an alphabet/written language yet)

Though that assumes that they're growing grain and understand agriculture already. Hum. I guess I could add instructions for how to grow stuff too, but with five power I'm not sure how much I can pull off, even if 'very well built buildings with high quality wall carvings' should probably fall under Artifice...

Maybe I should make it a Magic Mill that grinds out Flour even if you don't put wheat in?

Sorry.  Complexity penalties with this:  Dam + Water Wheel + Mill + Instructions + Infinite Food is a lot.  Even within one's sphere, the last one alone would easily be 5 Power (for a magic oven type affair or decanter of eternal wine).  Within the first four, you can probably do an extremely simple version of them for 5 Power or a more 'stout' version of three.

But yes, dam from stream bed (or pebble on stream bed) is legit, cheaper if the dam is made of the same material.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2015, 06:29:53 pm »

Yeah, sorry bout this Flying Dice, but we'd probably conflict in the near future anyway because I have some plans that'll probably clash with your life philosophy.
Perhaps. Guleran cares not what form the life takes, so long as it lives. He comes off as a bit of a hippy because that's optimal for a single tribe-level group of worshippers, but in the end he's more like Nurgle.

That said, it's a shame. From what Iituem said, cooperation between gods is a pretty effective power multiplier if you go the route of breeding powerful worshippers. Enough effort in that direction and you'd end up with a psuedo-Naruto setting with the serial number filed off, except all the magic fighting wizards are also your religious fanatics.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2015, 09:19:04 pm »

Sorry.  Complexity penalties with this:  Dam + Water Wheel + Mill + Instructions + Infinite Food is a lot.  Even within one's sphere, the last one alone would easily be 5 Power (for a magic oven type affair or decanter of eternal wine).  Within the first four, you can probably do an extremely simple version of them for 5 Power or a more 'stout' version of three.

But yes, dam from stream bed (or pebble on stream bed) is legit, cheaper if the dam is made of the same material.
Er, why does that make it sound like I get a better version for three power then five? Anyway, I'll spend five power on it under the theory 'more power should bring a better result' and I've edited the free food source out.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2015, 10:00:18 pm »

Cool game. Watching with interest. Especially the Black Wolf tribe.

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2015, 10:08:09 pm »

Yeah, my tribe is awesome  :P
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2015, 01:06:26 am »

Er, why does that make it sound like I get a better version for three power then five? Anyway, I'll spend five power on it under the theory 'more power should bring a better result' and I've edited the free food source out.

Because poor grammar on my part.  I meant to imply that for 5 Power spent, Dam+Wheel+Instructions would produce a more potent Dam, Wheel and Instructions than in Dam+Wheel+Mill+Instructions.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2015, 02:44:08 am »

Because poor grammar on my part.  I meant to imply that for 5 Power spent, Dam+Wheel+Instructions would produce a more potent Dam, Wheel and Instructions than in Dam+Wheel+Mill+Instructions.
<_<
>_>

...Well, ok, less stuff bought gives more value for power spent, got it. (I, um, do happen to fail to see the point of buying a waterwheel without hooking it up to anything though. I mean, it's not like they're seperate things... the waterwheel is the central component to the watermill... Unless by Mill you meant the magic part, in which case I'll feel very silly. Well, I took the magic part out anyway.)
Forenia Forever!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2015, 03:09:12 am »

<_<
>_>

...Well, ok, less stuff bought gives more value for power spent, got it. (I, um, do happen to fail to see the point of buying a waterwheel without hooking it up to anything though. I mean, it's not like they're seperate things... the waterwheel is the central component to the watermill... Unless by Mill you meant the magic part, in which case I'll feel very silly. Well, I took the magic part out anyway.)

You're quite right.  Mill and Waterwheel are pretty contiguous, aren't they?  I'll count those as one item and adjust accordingly.  (But yeah, the infinite flour would be its own cost.)  :)

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2015, 03:56:34 am »

If you want to upgrade her existing hereditary powers (which will take effect from that point on, so if she has existing children it won't pass to them, only new ones) it will cost double whatever the upgrade would be for the normal cost.

So, if we say it takes an extra 5 Power for her to get to sedimentary rocks (but not metamorphic or igneous), it will cost you 10 Power to make that upgrade and make it hereditary.
Ah, what I was asking was, if I do incremental upgrades, does that mean each individual one is cheaper. Like say giving her the ability to move through soil and sedimentary rock costs 10 power, or 20 power for hereditary. I payed 10 power for her to have soil moving hereditary, so would it just cost an additional 10 power to have her have sedimentary hereditary as well? Instead of paying full 20 power again to ensure she has both abilities hereditary.

Is what I'm asking. Prices are just stuff pulled out of a hat for examples.

EDIT: Rereading, that's a confusing mess but I'm not sure how to ask my question better.  :-\
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 05:02:28 am by Demonic Spoon »

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2015, 09:32:45 am »

I'm trying to figure out your question is it something like this:

"Can I take a small power and make it a big power by pouring more and more points into it in increments and then make it hereditary? As opposed to paying for each aspect to be individually hereditary."
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2015, 04:54:06 pm »

I think he means 'If I have to pay X*2 power to make something hereditary, and at first I just pay X to give them the power without making it hereditary, if I want to make it hereditary later on, do I have to pay X or X*2 at the time I want to make it hereditary?'

<_<
>_>
Or at least that was the question I got out of reading it.
Forenia Forever!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4