Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Pawns [OOC]  (Read 5528 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pawns [OOC]
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 02:04:07 pm »

Whilst I'm doing the update I'm going to lay this down for future reference:  As a rule of thumb, making a trait hereditary doubles the existing cost, so 2 mana and heredity has the same amount of effect as 1 mana.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2015, 03:22:12 pm »

So for Tar-Azath's little event, how much would it cost to create a giant sword or shield that falls from the sky, embedding itself into the riverbed and sheltering Anna's parents from the flood?
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2015, 03:33:57 pm »

Thing is, she's a crazy bitch who kills people who disagree with her and from what I've heard she's magic and can pop up from the ground anywhere to kill you.
That's mah girl! :))

But seriously, I'll have to sleep on this.

Top-notch game Iituem

and crop rotation [6-2]
What was the -2 here from?

Whilst I'm doing the update I'm going to lay this down for future reference:  As a rule of thumb, making a trait hereditary doubles the existing cost, so 2 mana and heredity has the same amount of effect as 1 mana.
What happens if I want to upgrade Velda's existing hereditary boon so she can move through rock?

Jud (Earth) - 7 Power [12-5 = 7 Power/Turn].
Why isn't it 14 power?

[Power Income: 14]

EDIT: Oh man. I'm thinking such glorious things. Really need to sleep on this to consider the full implications.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 04:05:58 pm by Demonic Spoon »

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2015, 03:54:58 pm »

First question: So my people are small and faithful, I get that, but I had 3 followers = 2 power last turn and now i have 12 followers who get 2 power per turn. I am confused about why my followers increased, but I still only get 2. Not trying to get a bump, just wondering the reasoning.

Second question: can my god communicate directly with other gods? Or are all the gods separate and cannot communicate?
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2015, 06:55:23 pm »

Thing is, she's a crazy bitch who kills people who disagree with her and from what I've heard she's magic and can pop up from the ground anywhere to kill you.
That's mah girl! :))

But seriously, I'll have to sleep on this.

Top-notch game Iituem

Agreed. This is going to be a fun little ride here. Guleran being Guleran, he's pushing the path that he thinks will keep everyone happy and healthy.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2015, 07:21:48 pm »

I'm gonna assume you haven't updated the power income yet and just remind you of that fact since fourteen income per turn seems really glorious.
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2015, 07:27:02 pm »

I'm gonna assume you haven't updated the power income yet and just remind you of that fact since fourteen income per turn seems really glorious.
Really really glorious   :-[
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2015, 08:12:04 pm »

Fixed, and that's gross income, minus your Pawn upkeep and any other draws.

Spider: Last turn you had about 3 who had undergone the change and a small amount of general support through the population of the whole tribe.  Now the tribe in general dislikes you but your dozen cultists have all undergone the change and are very dedicated to you.  (Evangelism dedicated, not set yourself on fire dedicated.)  Your total followers have actually gone down, but the income from each one has gone up.

Tribes have about 200 people per, for context.  Larger in the tribes that are getting boons to food etc.

All gods are aware of each other and may contact one another freely.  You exist on the same higher plane, but cannot interact with one another except via speech (and images).

Additionally, you have panscience - you can see anything on this world, but not everything.  You only have a few points of focus, so things like big prayers help to draw your attention and anchor you, as do Pawns.

Spoon:  The -2 was from how relatively advanced a concept that is for her.  Crop rotation is a significant step up from slash-and-burn agriculture, but she rolled damn well so she picked it up.  Depending on whether she stays leader she will attempt to convert her people to these ways.

If you want to upgrade her existing hereditary powers (which will take effect from that point on, so if she has existing children it won't pass to them, only new ones) it will cost double whatever the upgrade would be for the normal cost.

So, if we say it takes an extra 5 Power for her to get to sedimentary rocks (but not metamorphic or igneous), it will cost you 10 Power to make that upgrade and make it hereditary.

Boons: At an expenditure of Power you can directly reshape an object or creature, be it animal, believer, non-believer or Pawn in a beneficial way - increasing or improving some aspect of them, or providing a new one.  Healing or restoration is part of this, as is enchanting magical items etc.  Drawbacks can be included, so long as the net gain is 'positive'.  The more Power you invest, the more dramatic the result will be.  If the boon you are granting relates to your Sphere in some way, the effect will be magnified.  If you intend the boon to be hereditary it will cost significantly more or the effect will be significantly weakened.  You can spread the boon over multiple targets with a consummate increase in cost.

Happery: You can't directly create something, but you can reshape/resize things, or give them a new aspect or ability that could help here.  I will impose a restriction that reshaping something is affected by medium.  You can reshape a gust of wind, but not 'air', and that shape will be as transient as that gust.  You can reshape a 'tide' on the sea, or you can even reshape a specific bowl's worth of water, but if that transient form (the wave) breaks or the bowl of water is diluted into the sea the effect will be broken as might be expected.

So, you need an object already there, it should preferably be solid, and the cost of the effect will be significantly reduced if it can apply or relate to the Sphere of Artifice.

Also, you can grant boons instantly (or close as doesn't matter).  Time spent doesn't matter, but order of events does.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2015, 08:27:53 pm »

So I could petition the other gods for help/sanctuary instead of sending scouts to their tribes?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2015, 08:40:13 pm »

So I could petition the other gods for help/sanctuary instead of sending scouts to their tribes?

Yep.  Of course, you can also send scouts to their tribes and get the favour of their people, potentially in spite of their current patron god.  And if you do get the go ahead from the god you spoke to, his word is only as good as the standing of his Pawn in that society.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2015, 08:44:06 pm »

Happery: You can't directly create something, but you can reshape/resize things, or give them a new aspect or ability that could help here.  I will impose a restriction that reshaping something is affected by medium.  You can reshape a gust of wind, but not 'air', and that shape will be as transient as that gust.  You can reshape a 'tide' on the sea, or you can even reshape a specific bowl's worth of water, but if that transient form (the wave) breaks or the bowl of water is diluted into the sea the effect will be broken as might be expected.

So, you need an object already there, it should preferably be solid, and the cost of the effect will be significantly reduced if it can apply or relate to the Sphere of Artifice.

Also, you can grant boons instantly (or close as doesn't matter).  Time spent doesn't matter, but order of events does.
Is 'the River/Stream Bed' an acceptable object to target for a 'Craft a flood blocking wall with my symbol on it' action then?

...Actually, if I'm going to be crafting something out of the riverbed, I might as well go out and make a dam if I can afford it. Sure they won't care about electric power, but a Watermill, along with instructions on how to use it to grind grain... (pictionary type, since I assume they don't have an alphabet/written language yet)

Though that assumes that they're growing grain and understand agriculture already. Hum. I guess I could add instructions for how to grow stuff too, but with five power I'm not sure how much I can pull off, even if 'very well built buildings with high quality wall carvings' should probably fall under Artifice...

Maybe I should make it a Magic Mill that grinds out Flour even if you don't put wheat in?
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2015, 08:50:12 pm »

Ok, thanks a ton Iituem! Also thanks for explaining the followers thing, I was really confused.

Oh and do I have enough power to make my people centaurs? Idk if it would cost more than 3.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 08:52:24 pm by Spiderking50 »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2015, 09:50:50 pm »

GM question:

How does heredity work in the case of a couple composed of Pawns or their descendents? Specifically, if Velda and Gorrin do marry and their respective boons are made to be heritable before they have children, would those children inherit all of them?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2015, 03:27:26 am »

Maybe I should make it a Magic Mill that grinds out Flour even if you don't put wheat in?
Infinite free food seems like something that'd have a high power cost attached.

Hmm, this marriage decision is probably going to be a crossroads on how Jud is going to act in the future. And some genies are difficult to put back in their bottles once released. I can't help but feel somewhat conflicted. Oh well, Jud thirsts!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 04:42:42 am by Demonic Spoon »

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2015, 04:09:36 am »

Infinite free food seems like something that'd have a high power cost attached.
Well, they still have to cook it... and anyway, is it really that much more food then 'divinely aided harvests for the whole valley' or 'Whenever you go fishing, the fish are divinely attracted to you'? Both of those basically mean 'as much food as you want' just as much as a grindstone of magic flour producing would. And I'm the god of Artifice. Magic items (and other creations of mortal artifice, like epic magic ballads or evil genius plots and so on depending on how much the DM lets me stretch it. Though considering we have a god of magic...) are basically my thing, so that should provide a good discount to it..
Forenia Forever!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4