Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: How far could you take technology if reduced to a primitive situation?  (Read 7643 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Not very, basically all other planets are not human habitable. And the ones that are would have biology that none of us knew anything about, so we'd probably starve to death else risk getting poisoned or murdering a sentient.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

You can't cheat much through knowing the location of resources if you're plopped down in a random place, on account of it probably being hard to determine your location unless you're dropped next to Ayer's Rock or something. And even then, you'll have a tough time travelling around for these resources.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile

unless I had the assistance of a time-traveling AI i'm gonna go ahead and say no

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile

Not very, basically all other planets are not human habitable. And the ones that are would have biology that none of us knew anything about, so we'd probably starve to death else risk getting poisoned or murdering a sentient.
You can't cheat much through knowing the location of resources if you're plopped down in a random place, on account of it probably being hard to determine your location unless you're dropped next to Ayer's Rock or something. And even then, you'll have a tough time travelling around for these resources.
I mean another earth like planet, a supposition, just to keep you guys in check. It can be earth with different continents, if you would like it better.
Anyway, the challenge is still the same, how far can we go?
In a time before time, I had a name.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

Considering that we probably have a higher portion of computer slugs than normal, I'm betting not very far. :P I'd say at best it would come down to those of us who had taken survival courses living and the vast majority of everyone else ending up dead. XD
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile

The weak can feed the strong! They are still useful (for a given definition of useful).

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Considering that we probably have a higher portion of computer slugs than normal, I'm betting not very far. :P I'd say at best it would come down to those of us who had taken survival courses living and the vast majority of everyone else ending up dead. XD
Christ roy, that's cold. I know that I wouldn't begrudge anyone the help of my impractically specific survival knowledge, and I would probably also expect someone to help with my bizarre aura that prevents the lighting of fires by my hands.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

Interesting question LB.

I can take technology up to simple electronics. I know how to make vacuum tubes and what not, and know enough about semiconductors to make diodes out of galena crystals.

So, barring the internal combustion engine's influence, approximately that of 1930.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

I think you're misunderstanding; my goal is to cause exponential growth.
I think you're misunderstanding; my point is that exponential growth is literally the most irresponsible thing you can do.  It would be less harmful to give them the means to make meth and unlimited copies of mein kampf.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile

Interesting question LB.

I can take technology up to simple electronics. I know how to make vacuum tubes and what not, and know enough about semiconductors to make diodes out of galena crystals.

So, barring the internal combustion engine's influence, approximately that of 1930.

Ah, but can you, say, blow the glass needed to create some of the hardware (I know you could make it out of other stuff, but those aren't a cakewalk either)? How to find, mine and refine all the various ores needed?

If nothing else, the thread is a nice reminder of how interconnected our world is, and how much we depend on each other and 'the system' to make things run.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

Interesting question LB.

I think you're misunderstanding; my point is that exponential growth is literally the most irresponsible thing you can do.  It would be less harmful to give them the means to make meth and unlimited copies of mein kampf.
Combine the two ideas above and we'll get a kickass dieselpunk setting. Join the adventures of a bunch of random forumites as they struggle to reconstruct modernity from scratch while fighting off Tweaker Nazis.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm still not seeing exactly why this is a problem. Care to elaborate on what exactly you are seeing is wrong with exponential growth as we attempt to solidify ourselves?

Christ roy, that's cold. I know that I wouldn't begrudge anyone the help of my impractically specific survival knowledge, and I would probably also expect someone to help with my bizarre aura that prevents the lighting of fires by my hands.
It's a simple matter of numbers. Figure that there is somewhere from 600-1000 of us, based off of the "highest active at once" ratings from the last few months and then increased to account for any potential missed overlap. How many of us do you think have taken survival courses? I'm going to guess that it is a fairly low number, say maybe 5% (though it's probably lower than that). That means that for the first couple of weeks each survival person has to support 19 other people just to keep us all alive as those people learn to be self supporting. Even assuming we all worked together I'd say we would probably have something like a 20% die-off from starvation, plus whoever has a disease like asthma that requires technological support.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

Interesting question LB.

Ah, but can you, say, blow the glass needed to create some of the hardware (I know you could make it out of other stuff, but those aren't a cakewalk either)? How to find, mine and refine all the various ores needed?

If nothing else, the thread is a nice reminder of how interconnected our world is, and how much we depend on each other and 'the system' to make things run.

As a matter of fact, I can. :)

Those are all things I have played with has hobbies over the years.  Making the glass is not terribly hard. You just need a pot furnace. Copper is one of the few metals that appears in metallic form in nature, and can also be cold worked. To draw wire however, you will need an annealing oven. (It will get too brittle during the compressive forming process without being heated to anneal the metal) Copper is soft enough to use ceramic extrusion/forming dies. (Steel is too hard, even when hot.) 

I mention copper, because you need a blow pipe to make the tubes from the glass melt in the crucible in your pot furnace. Copper has been a traditionally used material because of its versatility.  You will need either wet paper or a damp sponge to work with the glass, and some copper cutting tools to work with the glass, as well as some wooden paddles, and a bucket of water. You will also need an annealing oven.

I would have to have a pretty elaborate set of workshops set up to take this process from raw minerals up to useful products. I doubt I would be able to do that and still have time to forage for, and or, grow crops for myself, unless I did all this kind of work in the winter.

Iron can be purified using the bessemer process-- just dont add any coke after blasting with the cold air.  Bentonite clay is easily identified. (You probably know it better as "cat litter." You need it to make the refractory material for the smelter.)

The electronics I would be able to produce would be bulky and quite ghetto looking, (glass bottles full of saline, with copper, silver or gold vapor blown onto the outer surface using a lampwork torch to make a suitable flux layer, then plated in a thin metal coating to make ghetto electrolytic capacitors, etc.)

It would be sufficient to recreate primitive FM radios, Primitive CRTs (With a single phosphor type, so monochrome), etc.  Theoretically, magnetrons could be fashioned by hand and fitted into suitable container to make ghetto microwave ovens, but that's wasteful given the suggested environment.  The copper needed to make the farraday cage would be much better employed any number of other ways.

The above assumes I will find myself in a position where I would be able to access copper or copper ores though.  That's not something to bet on.  Glass is pretty much makable everywhere though.  You just need a good silica source, know how to build a pot furnace, and need a sufficiently refractory clay body to work with to make the crucible. After that, it's just fuel.  If push came to shove, home-made fuel pellets made from cut grass would work.

RE:Roy

Asthma: This is basically just an inflammatory disease.  It can be "treated" in various low-tech ways, including purposeful infection with helminths, and also with capsicum from hot peppers (of all things.) They may not feel like a million dollars, but they wont die of an obstructed airway due to bronchial inflammation.

I am probably in that 5% figure you mention-- My dad is an old Korean war vet, who practiced his own unique brand of fatherly love by subjecting all his kids to deep survival training since infancy.  (No, really.)  I do not fear a technological collapse. I fear OTHER PEOPLE in a technological collapse, because I would be too valuable to be allowed to go free. (EG, once known about, no group struggling for survival would PERMIT me to leave them.)

RE: Purpetual Growth.

I am with Mainiac on that one. It is simply NOT POSSIBLE.   No, the current economic status is built on a lie-- IT IS NOT SUSTAINABLE, AND CANNOT BE SUSTAINED, AND WILL FAIL.  This is provable with simple mathematics.  I would rather use my knowledge and skills to train a post-horror society how to survive stably and comfortably, and would loudly preach against any such "Purpetual growth" absurdity whenever I saw it rear its ugly head.

The problems we are having right now with global climate change? A natural consequence of that "Purpetual growth" bullshit.  The earth is a zero sum system.  You take something out to make a product with, and that something you took out is taken out. You dont get magically consequence free resources or products.  It does not work that way.  There's an ideal local maxima for the planet between humans and their environment. When you exceed that, shit goes to hell in a handbasket, global catastrophe style. "Denial" is not an appropriate strategy for dealing with that inevitable outcome.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 12:14:50 pm by wierd »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Asthma: This is basically just an inflammatory disease.  It can be "treated" in various low-tech ways, including purposeful infection with helminths, and also with capsicum from hot peppers (of all things.) They may not feel like a million dollars, but they wont die of an obstructed airway due to bronchial inflammation.
Hunh, didn't know that. Guess it's a good thing to know in case I run into someone suffering. :P

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

Both of those are animal models, not human trials. We don't know if they work, we just have an indication it might.

Also, purposefully infecting someone with a helminth is a terrible fucking idea in a Stone Age survival scenario.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7