Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Foundation - SCP Foundation by way of X-COM  (Read 3313 times)

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
The Foundation - SCP Foundation by way of X-COM
« on: June 19, 2015, 10:47:44 am »

a game by Devin "Riscvul" Nelson

Inspired by XCOM and a legion of brilliant authors this game puts you in the shoes of the newly appointed Overseer of the SCP Foundation an extraterritoral organization charged to secure anomalous artifacts around the world, contain public knowledge, and protect the world's existence from the hazards these items possess. You must Secure. Find anomalous events and SCP entities. Customize your armed forces and research powerful new technologies. Dispatch task forces to lock down and retrieve it. Fight off others interested in the same prize. You must Contain. Suppress public knowledge of the events. Recruit governments, agents, and organizations to fund and support your goals. You must Protect. Build bases and secure areas to store anomalous items. Stop the spread of anomalous effects. Beware of dangerous containment breaches. As time passes the beginning hastens the end. Something nearly destroyed the Foundation once. It won't make the same mistake again.

The Foundation is currently under development, and a (very early) prototype is available at the creator's development blog here. Development can be followed on this YouTube channel, the IndieDB page, Riscvul's Twitter, the FB page, or the blog linked earlier.

EDIT: Newest prototype can be found from MEGA here.

This is definitely something that I've wanted for a while now. What do you guys think? It's certainly nice to see a game playing on something other than the horror elements of the SCP mythos.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 04:33:54 pm by GentlemanRaptor »
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Foundation - SCP Foundation by way of X-COM
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 10:48:33 am »

Oooh, color me intruiged.  I'll definently be checking this out when I get home.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 11:02:58 am »

Rated 'D' for [REDACTED] personnel.

I'm keeping an eye on this.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 04:34:11 pm by Itnetlolor »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 11:10:58 am »

Will it be free?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 11:18:03 am »

Will it be free?
I seem to remember some comment about a "pay what you want" model but on looking back I can't find anything like that. It might be in the YouTube comments on one of the videos.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 12:03:19 pm »

O honestly don't think this will work, or rather, it won't work as an SCP game. Mostly because a great majority of items in SCP are all wildly different things that would require wildly different mechanics to be represented properly, both in terms of securing and in terms of containing. They could go the generic item way where they have a handful of effects scattered about different things but that would lead to poor replay value because you'd soon have items with repeating effects and approaches and it would also make every item kinda samey which kills a lot of what I think the SCP is about and that is that you can't ever really approach two items in the same way because you never know what the hell could happen.

They could've said it was inspired by SCP and had something more standardised in terms of lore (think STALKER artifacts, where there's a bunch of types but not thousands) but played up the danger of aquiring and containing them, like say portals opening or something else that makes every retrieval dangerous more because of the enviroment than because of the item itself.

Tho now that I think of it, I really wanna see a turn based STALKER RPG of some sort.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 12:11:51 pm »

There are some groups like Church of the Broken God operatives that could be generic enemies.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 12:19:07 pm »

Yeah, there are definently standard enemies that you could be fighting against.  Ideally it would have "generic" artifacts that just need to be contained and are randomly generated and "Special" artifacts that that require special facilities to secure and contain. 

I mean, SCP-173 would be pretty easy to add in, as well as a few of the other more popular ones.

Once you have artifacts that need to be contained/can escape, then add in some of the factions to fight who will raid your places for artifacts (Generic or otherwise) and you have yourself a game.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 12:20:10 pm »

I know some of those organizations are planned, but I'm not sure which.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 04:18:19 pm »

Balancing this is probably going to be hell :P
Consider me interested.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 04:22:40 pm »

Rated 'D' for *redacted* personnel.

I'm keeping an eye on this.
Fixed.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 04:27:22 pm »

PTW
It's FEF, not FEOF

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 04:35:05 pm »

PTW

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2015, 10:30:23 am »

So I got around to testing the prototype.

Holy shit, it's a nice GUI.  Can't do much, but all the pieces are there.  It just needs to be hooked up.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2015, 01:02:54 pm »

Interesting.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: [1] 2 3