Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Mountain Dew  (Read 6936 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Mountain Dew
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2015, 01:59:38 pm »

Irn-Bru seems interesting. What does it taste like?
Like citrusy Pepto-Bismol.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2015, 02:09:47 pm »

That... sounds pretty horrible. Complete with that chalky aftertaste?

Regardless, reminds me of the extent to which mixed sodas come out tasting like children's chewable aspirin, especially if anything orange flavored is involved. It's kinda' uncanny. There's probably a 1 in 3 or better chance that throwing together any two (or more -- actually, the more you add beyond just two, the more likely it seems to become) sodas will come out tasting like chewable aspirin, from what I remember of the days I mixed sodas with regularity.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2015, 02:18:05 pm »

Just a bit of info, but if for some reason you feel the need to purchase soda from a location a long ways away you are almost always going to be better off buying the syrup/concentrate and then mixing it directly with local carbonated water as needed. It's tons cheaper in the long run, and the shipping costs are lower as well. It also makes for great party gifts, since you can give someone the equivalent of like 500 cans of soda at once. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2015, 02:19:43 pm »

While I've never tried it with official flavors, I've tried several things from a Soda Stream...and none of them taste like actual soda. Maybe that's because I attribute the flavor of an aluminum can or plastic bottle with soda though.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2015, 03:24:26 pm »

If you get the BIB mixer syrup stuff it is literally the stuff that they use in drink machines in restaurants. What we did was purchase one of those boxes and then poured it into a bunch of sealable bottles/jugs for later use. (Though you still need to find the right ratio of syrup to soda to make it taste the same).
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2015, 09:28:33 pm »

While I've never tried it with official flavors, I've tried several things from a Soda Stream...and none of them taste like actual soda. Maybe that's because I attribute the flavor of an aluminum can or plastic bottle with soda though.

Soda Stream's flavors weren't that good when I tried them at first, but I came to like their diet Mountain Dew knock off eventually.  Diet Fountain Mist I think they call it?  Either way, I'm not sure if they reformulated it or if I just became accustomed to it.

I'd really like to get access to some syrup for Mountain Dew itself, but haven't looked into what it would take to get that if regular people even can.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2015, 09:37:28 pm »

You can buy it on amazon. ~140 USD (not counting shipping) for 5 gallons of syrup (which seems to be at a 5:1 water/syrup ratio, meaning that's at least 25 gallons worth of dew.*). Looks like it's readily available to order from other places, too, and may be available locally depending on where you are. Apparently some sam's clubs stock the stuff, just as an example.

*E: Which... doesn't look like that's a bad price at all. About four cent to the ounce, which is less than what the stores around here are running. Bit more extraneous cost to get whatever you need to properly mix the stuff, but still looks like a pretty solid deal if I'm not hilariously mangling the math involved.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 09:42:19 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2015, 09:53:01 pm »

5:1 is 30 gallons of mountain dew, not 25 (25 gallons of soda water + 5 gallons of syrup). And a hand connector is only like 10 bucks, or if you want to get crazy you can very carefully open the box, poke a hole into the bag, and then pour it all out into your own sealable containers.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2015, 12:03:19 am »

I may seriously have to try that.  We go through so much Mountain Dew here that any cost savings would add up quickly.  It would also cut down on the "crap, I don't have anything but water to drink, so I have to go to the grocery store" moments.  I have a Soda Stream (which needs its CO2 cylinder replaced), but I'm also curious to see how it tastes without carbonation.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2015, 06:33:57 am »

I might take a look at that, but I wouldn't have enough for buying the rest of the stuff right now, so I'll probably wait till the next month.
In a time before time, I had a name.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2015, 06:42:59 am »

« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 05:24:59 pm by penguinofhonor »

razor871

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2015, 09:17:09 am »

I reckon it tries to taste like lime, it really does. But it ends up tasting mostly like fizzy sugar, alright on special occasions though.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2015, 10:29:49 am »

... America's patriotic marketing hits so hard in Brazil they might as well buy it.

First, thats awesome. Go 'Murica.

Just a bit of info, but if for some reason you feel the need to purchase soda from a location a long ways away you are almost always going to be better off buying the syrup/concentrate and then mixing it directly with local carbonated water as needed. It's tons cheaper in the long run, and the shipping costs are lower as well. It also makes for great party gifts, since you can give someone the equivalent of like 500 cans of soda at once. :P

Thank you for this glorious bit of information.

If I get the job I'm hoping for, I'd love to subsidize your first Mountain Dew import. Its glorious stuff, even if not quite right for everyone's palette. I'd be curious to know how much of the software industry is built upon Mountain Dew and Cheetos. Also, get Code Red and Voltage. They make great slushies. My $15 slushy maker is probably one of my most prized possessions.

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2015, 10:40:25 am »

I had Mountain Dew once, because a hilariously overpricing Weimar station kiosk equivalent had (and probably still has) some bottles of it.

It's pretty bad.

I'm used to local breweries' lemonade though, and Fanta. If I'm in bad need of caffein I drink a bottle or two of the maté-based lemonade that's insanely popular at my university.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2015, 12:16:14 pm »

Have you ever had a flat Mountain Dew? It's pretty bad.

Most people here seem to think it's terrible already, whereas I don't, so maybe it wouldn't be a problem.  I drink it warm / hot without caring much either so there's that.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6