Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Mountain Dew  (Read 6917 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Mountain Dew
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2015, 04:14:22 pm »

The question isn't whether you should drink the dew, it's what flavor of Doritos you get to go along with it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2015, 04:30:37 pm »

I actually drank Mountain Dews and ate Doritos while playing League, while waiting for class to start. Anybody who was in on the joke thought it was hilarious. Probably the best joke I spent money on.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2015, 04:41:21 pm »

This is the kind of thread that really makes me wonder just how much perception of flavor varies between people.  I find it pretty surprising that so many people actively dislike the flavor of Mountain Dew, because to me it tastes like slightly fruity sugar.  What I dislike much more about it, as mentioned earlier, is the state it leaves my mouth in afterward.  So much sugar means more plaque formation and such, which doesn't happen with diet drinks since microbes don't live on sucralose / aspartame.

Cue more discussion on how artificial sweeteners are the devil.   ;)

The mention that sucralose tastes bad also surprises me, because to me it again tastes exactly like sugar.  Aspartame was very different where it had an aftertaste and could make things bitter if you put too much in something.

Maybe I've just become conditioned to it after so many years.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2015, 04:44:29 pm »

Any artificial sweetener leaves an aftertaste to me, although I wonder how much of that has been conditioned in to me as a result of a bad first experience. Diet soda always tastes weird to me, anyway.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2015, 04:46:11 pm »

I don't really mind the taste of mountain dew (chemical and extremely sweet; it's soda, go figure), but what really bugs me is the syrupy texture it has. Maybe it's just me, but my mouth always feels like I've drank a bottle of pancake syrup after having some dew.
This is the one thing about it that bothers me, although to a lesser extent. Otherwise I love Mountain Dew, although I prefer the variants like Code Red and Voltage over standard lemon-lime.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2015, 04:54:35 pm »

It's practically the only soda I drink anymore, and yeah I drink way, way too much of it too regularly.

On the flip side, it's my only source of caffeine and the only thing keeping me awake when I have to drive in to class at 5 in the morning, when I otherwise naturally just cease to be conscious.

Magistrum: if you're going to splurge to import soda from the other end of the continent (Which continent, by the way?), you should purchase several different brands/flavors and have them shipped in whatever manner (one crate or many) will be the cheapest. There are many soda options, and most of them a given individual won't find that appetizing.

However, cream soda is fucking delicious. Stings, but sooo good.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2015, 05:02:36 pm »

Can't believe this thread went this long without:

At one time, Mountain Dew had the highest caffeine content of any any soda that was practical to buy in a lot of places. Jolt had more, but that was rarely available anywhere.

I remember my brother and I were forbidden from drinking either Mountain Dew or Mellow Yellow by our parents. When Jolt came out on the market, it was like smack for 13 year olds. (Dude, I picked up a pack of Jolt. I'm gonna drink it all right now!) Any other soda was ok, but not those.

I used to be a Pepsi guy until, I dunno, something about cola flavor just became unappealing. I switched to Dew and drank it pretty heavily for a few years until I started to get sick of it too (and started to get the Acid Reflux mentioned above. I'd have a Mountain Dew in the morning during class to perk up, and found it was especially bad then, because my stomach is always touchy for a few hours after waking up.)

Today I basically only drink it with a meal (I dunno, something about its sweetness cutting through the other flavors is like a palette cleanser for me. Yet I hate sweet "meal" foods. Go figure.) or the occasional one on the weekend. My soda consumption basically dropped by 75% when I started drinking (really strong) coffee as my drink of choice for doin' my own thing. I can't even conscious drinking a soda, any soda, in the morning now. I'd probably hurl.

Throwback
I don't really like the flavor of it, despite knowing that high fructose is something we should all be getting away from. That mouth-coating sweetness of high-fructose is part of the flavor of Dew to my brain. Kind of illuminated to me that drinking Dew isn't really about the flavor for me anymore, if it ever was. I think I originally switched to it from Cola because it was so mild in comparison. But orange isn't like a favorite flavor of mine, and after years of drinking Dew, if I'm honest, I'm starting to find the orange flavor a little sickening.

Maybe I've just become conditioned to it after so many years.

I think it's part conditioning, and part palette. People with a higher sensitivity to sweet flavors, as in they can detect mild sweetness in things most people would not, would probably find Dew completely overwhelming.

In the end I'm glad I switched to Coffee. I'm probably 20 pounds lighter than a lot of guys my age now because I quit so much soda period in my mid 20s, and Dew in particular.

This is why I'm glad I'm adverse to any sort of carbonated drink. For some reason, carbonated = bitter to the point of dry-heaving. Soda, beer- you name it, I can't drink it.

Bummer :( There's some part of almost everyone's palette that's basically exclusionary. Even not liking the actual flavor of beer that much, I can still drink it to appreciate the flavor without dry heaving.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 05:11:45 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2015, 05:14:25 pm »

-snip-
No, it didn't.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2015, 05:15:06 pm »

-snip-
No, it didn't.

Pics or it didn't happen.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2015, 08:24:44 pm »

I honestly don't really understand how people can manage to drink soda at all. Apart from Mexican coke of course, that shit is great.

3. Run Resize Enable

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2015, 08:54:37 pm »

shasta

Damn, for a brief moment I thought someone else remembered Josta
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2015, 10:50:09 pm »

Wait, I've got a question: is IrnBru considered to be a soda?

As opposed to a crime against humanity, I mean.

3. Run Resize Enable

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2015, 11:24:58 pm »

I honestly don't really understand how people can manage to drink soda at all. Apart from Mexican coke of course, that shit is great.
YOU'RE FUCKING RIGHT IT IS
and doctor pepper best drink fuck you nerds
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2015, 12:28:53 am »

Wait, I've got a question: is IrnBru considered to be a soda?

It's freedom
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2015, 01:15:41 am »

I've never noticed Mountain Dew giving me an unpleasant mouthfeel afterwards... for me it's only Coke/Pepsi that does that.
Coats your teeth and everything... eugh.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6