Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: GCS inescapable  (Read 1547 times)

Furious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
GCS inescapable
« on: June 18, 2015, 11:01:05 pm »

Started my first adventure mode game the other day. Laid some groundwork by starting a fortress first and banging out some masterwork armor, then went and got it with my adventurer.
Things went well for a while. Hit superdwarven in strength, agility and toughness before turning vampire.
Legendary armor, dodge, plus a few weapons.
Run into my first GCS and get webbed immediately. Spent about an hour trying to do anything, but can't get out of the webs. Realized I could light fires and surrounded myself in an attempt to make the spider go elsewhere. Burned to death before I could get free.
So my question is: is the a way to escape a GCS? Something I missed?
Wait ? Your fort is not half green half red regardless of the stone it's built in ? I'm learning something new every day.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: GCS inescapable
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 01:53:56 am »

Set it on fire!

My first attempt doing this was to set myself on fire to burn the webs away.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 09:59:25 am »

Fighting a GCS (and the scrawnier of the webber titans, for that matter) in adventure mode is an even greater game of rocket tag than the rest of Dwarf Fortress. The only advice I could give you is try and get the first hit next time.

Furious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 08:19:40 pm »

Well that must be why I couldn't find any GCS fighting tips on the boards or wiki.
Second attempt will be even more FUN.
Wait ? Your fort is not half green half red regardless of the stone it's built in ? I'm learning something new every day.

ClorrProdigal

• Bay Watcher
  • My God! It's full of dwarves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 09:43:07 pm »

If all else fails, make youself webommune. I tried everything the last time my adventurer got webbed but nothing worked.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 09:43:35 pm »

Attack from range: throw knives and stuff at it. I suggest axes and hammers. Either that or burn it.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 10:06:24 pm »

Or, you know, just don't fight a GCS.  Except for being just another increment on your kill count, there's nothing special you get from a dead GCS. 

Although if you really have to kill one, you could try stealth and hammering it in the head from behind.  (Or use stealth, hide while a companion runs out after it, wait for it to web the companion, and start the head-gnawing, and sneak up behind it then...)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

JayThePro

• Bay Watcher
  • [PERSONALITY:SELF_CONTROL:0:2:100]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 11:17:34 pm »

Although I have no idea how to accept quests, I was somehow pointed towards a large cave.

It was rumored to have a demon or two. It had somewhere around 20 ( I shit you not ).

As I was running through the caves, I came across a cave system full of GCS. I took of a few, and was surrounded.

I got caught in one's web, and it began to speak (Some type of GCS demon?)

I was able to get free by slashing the talking GCS' limbs? Idk how that works, but that's what I did.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 06:38:40 am »

Although I have no idea how to accept quests, I was somehow pointed towards a large cave.

It was rumored to have a demon or two. It had somewhere around 20 ( I shit you not ).

As I was running through the caves, I came across a cave system full of GCS. I took of a few, and was surrounded.

I got caught in one's web, and it began to speak (Some type of GCS demon?)

I was able to get free by slashing the talking GCS' limbs? Idk how that works, but that's what I did.
Those aren't GCS. GCS can't speak. They're probably exactly what the rumors said they were, or a modded creature.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

ClorrProdigal

• Bay Watcher
  • My God! It's full of dwarves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 06:11:33 pm »

You can find demons in caves? Are they demons that were released from a fortress?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 06:36:49 pm »

You can find demons in caves? Are they demons that were released from a fortress?
I think some escape in world gen now (besides the prior-existing god impostors.) I had thought it was limited to just the few in spires, though.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 07:42:18 pm »

Ah... So now, there's demons to be found in caves, too. I thought facing off against them in spires was bad enough. Ohwell, time to track and kill some demons.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 11:25:58 am »

Two times now throughout my adventures I've transmissive packs of demons out of nowhere that instantly killed me. One time I went back to one with some more adventurers and they were still there and they still killed me. Both of the times I found them though they were at a beach, not a cave though.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 01:42:13 pm »

Do you have any mods? Can you take some screenshots next time? What were the demons called?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 09:27:18 pm »

Do you have any mods? Can you take some screenshots next time? What were the demons called?
It was quite a long time ago, I guess if it happens again ill try to take screenshots, but that will be at least a month before I can play df again. I have a bunch of mods, some made myself, and some downloaded and adapted with my other mods, though I don't think there's any modding that could be done to add surface demons. I don't remember what they were called either, but I am quite sure they were the normal procedurally generated df demons. I remember specifically using phoebus and them having the demon tile. I think they did things like breathe fire on me and break all the bones in my body with one hit. I think I remember some of them shooting webs as well.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia
Pages: [1] 2