Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: The Great Game of the Gods (A twice daily forum game) New players welcome  (Read 15875 times)

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod

OOC here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=151527.0

Inspired by other god games on this forum, I've decided to start my own based off a DND campaign I wrote earlier this year. The Great Game of the Gods (GGG) was an under the hood aspect of the campaign. Players found themselves caught up in conflicts between these gods and discovered the history of the world as they quested. Now, I am going to bring it to the forefront and open the divine power to a select few forum denizens. I'll take as many players as I feel will make a good game and can handle. However, if you find this late and still want to join, send me a PM. I can work in people who care enough. That being said: here's how the game is actually going to work:

You will design a god (see template below) and enter into a budding world. You will be one of the original gods, the first feet upon this twisting primal land. And I mean that literally. Gods in this game are alive and walk the earth. This means you can bleed and can die. Not that its an easy thing to kill a god.

You will generate divine power (DP) naturally every turn. This can be used for any direct action (Actions your god does directly) relating to your sphere/dominion. This power comes from you and everyone gets the same amount every turn. This happens no matter what. Everyone gets 5 a turn.

You will receive power from worshipers, worshiper power (WP) You will get one power for ten worshipers. This power allows you to appoint priests, paladins, mages, hunters, or whatever mortal occupation you desire (see human occupations below). In other words, this power indirectly guides mortals to what you want them to do. This, however, doesn't mean that they will always do what you want or do things how you want them done. Mortals are mortals after all and they do have free will.

Lastly, you have Ichor Points(IP). This is your divine life force. It is the blood in your veins and what keeps you alive. That being said, it holds incredible power. (IP) are, first and foremost, your health points. They do NOT regenerate. The only way for you to regain (IP) is to change (DP) into some at a 1:3 ratio. This process works in both directions.  One (IP) = three (DP).

Here's how the game will actually work:

GENERAL GAME RULES/MECHANICS:

(0) You have (DP), (WP), and (IP). These all do the things that I said that they do earlier.

(1) Turns will take place twice a day. The turns will end arbitrarily based upon when I check the forums. However, they will almost always end sometime mid day or early afternoon and then somewhere in the evening/night. There will be a fair amount of time between each turn so don't worry too much. I expect every player to miss one or two turns. Maybe more. This doesn't really disadvantage you because you still gain all your points for that turn, and the game is designed so that you may not even want to take action on your turn. If something really big is happening, then more time will be added for turns, but really, the game is designed so that missing even a few turns is ok.

(2) On your turn you can direct your god to do any action within your power. Whether this is speaking to mortals, doing divine acts, or  whatever. Get creative and do some cool things.

(2.5) There will be a list of available champions per area provided later.
(3) You will start in a region, assigned by me semi-randomly (a god of water will end up in a watery place and not a desert). You can chose to stay there and claim it or move somewhere else. At the start you may only claim one region as yours, and you may use some a sizable chunk of your power to change it or provide region wide bonuses with very mild effects.

(4) Sub regions exists. They can be enchanted like normal regions for a lower cost, but affect a smaller area. However, more potent effects can be placed here.

(5) Shrines, natural wonders, structures, and anything else really can be constructed for added bonuses. You will build these with a general intent, but as they normally relate to (WP) and thus mortals, they may not always work out exactly as planned.

(6) Any aspect of the world can be changed for a price. Races, places, plants, animals, whatever, if you want to throw the points at it, you can change it.

(7) Alliances and fueds can be made, and are encouraged. Its a dog god eat dog god world.

(8 ) Monsters exist. They hate gods and will pose challenges to you as gods. Monsters range in strength from lowly goblins to fallen gods.

SPECIAL GAME RULES:
You will not know all of the rules. Just the basics that come instinctively to you as newborn god. Part of the game is discovering the rules.

(1) Direct combat against another god is forbidden except under very extreme and special conditions. (You may find out about those later or be able to inquire about them through PM).

(2) Your goal is to subvert and usurp other gods. This can be anything from converting followers to sending mortal heroes to combat other gods. Nothing is safe, if a god builds a shrine you can destroy it. If a god makes an area dark and evil, you can make it light and good, hot, cold, anything.

(3) Every turn you can attempt to do anything. You're a god, act like one.

(4) I have likely forgotten something. If I add more (that isn't a secret) I'll let you know, but that's about it.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 12:07:16 pm by Spiderking50 »
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile

The Abbreviated Explanation of Where Gods Come From:

Beneath the mortal world churns a vast sea of cosmic, divine, and magical energy. This is the root of all magic. It is endless, it is timeless, and it is where you came from.

This primordial soup of raw power creates what can only be called anomalies. As bits of magic and energy collide and combine, some begin to gain sentience. Some begin to live.  These anomalies cannot stay here however. They are no longer part of the endless. And so the great sea raises a tendril, a river of pure power and magic, up to the mortal world. It is upon this river of light that the budding being is delivered into the world. As they rise up towards the mortal world they pass by many a place and absorb energy from the great sea all the while. By the time they reach the world, they have almost developed solidarity as a separate entity, but not quite. They, pushed by a flood of magical energy, are squeezed into the physical world.

This is where our story begins. You are a god who has just entered an unknown world of which you know next to nothing about. However, you are whole, alive, distinct, and powerful.

Important Note:
(1) Every player will get a specific creation scene once they enter the world at the start of the game. This is just the beforehand. The where gods come from.

(2) Your god will only loosely remember these events as they were not distinct entities before gaining boundaries/ a physical body.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 02:10:46 am by Spiderking50 »
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Game of the Gods (A twice daily forum game) OOC
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 09:49:56 pm »

God Template:

Name:
Description:
Sphere:
General motivation:
Other:

While some gods may take the form of humans, most find that the shape of great beasts or giants better reflect their power. Many gods also have unique powers or auras that are in constant effect, however the more powerful of these come with a cost.

The Gods so Far:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 08:06:17 pm by Spiderking50 »

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 09:50:21 pm »

reserved

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 09:51:04 pm »

So...template?
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 10:06:29 pm »

It is now posted. I think that's basically it. If there's anything I left out, put it in the other section.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 11:27:22 pm »

Name: The Blind Worm, the Devouring Maw
Description: A leviathan of the deeps, a massive eyeless worm, swimming beneath the surface of the waves, twisting and turning, occasionally breaching into the air above.
Spheres: Mind and Water
General motivation: To flood the entire world beneath water, to join the minds of all creatures into a great collective
Other: A primeval creature, the Blind Worm doesn't approve of these "dry" or "individual consciousness" stuff that's been popping up lately. Let all return to water, let all return to one mind! As it should be!

Editing in~

Question: I'd like two have two spheres, Mind and Water, is there some way I can manage that?
Question 2: What do spheres actually do in this game?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 09:28:54 am by Demonic Spoon »

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 11:33:43 pm »

Multi-sphereing is allowed. You can have several if you want, but may receive less power in an action that only relates to one of your spheres (when compared to the power level you would have if all your divinity was focused on that sphere.) This won't always be the case, so don't let that deter you.

Spheres relate to your power. Doing actions/magic that are the opposite of your power will be incredibly difficult. Likewise, actions relating to your sphere will be easier (cost less or have greater effect). They don't have a hard numerical effect, it just loosely changes how you will be doing things. So, the answer is they provide flavor and some gameplay.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 11:42:46 pm by Spiderking50 »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 11:53:26 pm »

How custom is this custom setting? Will something like the Great Wheel cosmology (Four chief elemental planes, outer planes going across the alignment axis, prime material, shadow and ethereal) exist? Or one of those stuff from the later editions that I never got into.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 11:55:29 pm by Demonic Spoon »

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 11:54:32 pm »

It is completely custom. Its from scratch.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 11:56:53 pm »

It is completely custom. Its from scratch.
Do we know anything about the planar setup or will we need to discover it? Will most standard D&D races and monsters be present? Illithids, beholders, gelatinous cubes, rust monsters, purple worms etc.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 12:12:35 am by Demonic Spoon »

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 01:24:13 am »

I was going to post the story first thing in the morning. I have been kinda busy tonight. So look out for that.

Some of it will be explained, most will be discovered. There is a celestial mechanic that will have effects, but won't be explained.

No DND specific races will be included. It is a campaign for DND, but is set in a completely custom world. This game however, is not DND related and is based solely upon the backstory I used for my campaign. Sorry if that was misleading.

The players (gods) will be entering the world shortly after it has come into being. As a result, it is very primitive. They also didn't make the world, so they know little about it at first.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 01:31:27 am »

Sheet is done. The Blind Worm flails!

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 02:13:23 am »

Ok, I added in a short version of the backstory. There's technically a lot more to it, but that would have potential spoilers. I have yet to fully decide how much I want this game based off my old system verses how much free flowing. I'm leaning more towards free flowing however.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 02:15:13 am »

Great Sea makes my character fit into world better. Yay!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14