Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The Metagame - A Strange Game of Game Creation (for now)  (Read 3662 times)

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
Re: The Metagame - A Strange Game of Game Creation (for now)
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2015, 11:12:44 pm »

The octopi check some things with the terminal: the weapons lab coordinates are... "useful", but it appears that this program is fairly comprehensive, because it's looking like you can basically type whatever you want into the terminal and it'll figure out what you mean. The sloth turns to its friend to talk (no sound in your view, unfortunately) and you take the opportunity to drain the water without it noticing.

As the water level drops, it reveals a secret cave! The sloth turns around, sees this new development, and promptly jumps in, your view following it into the cave. You are also notified of activity offscreen - the sloth's yellow mark, back to the right, flashed brightly for a moment as it entered the cave. Meanwhile, one octopus moves over to the pods and tries tapping it twice. The word "FULL" flashes on the glass, and nothing happens. Both interesting.

From outside the door, you hear the heavy "ka-chunk, ka-chunk..." of golem footsteps. What do you do now?

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2015, 11:14:29 pm »

Oh, (sorry for the double post, I just remembered) it's looking like this might be the last update for about a week; I'm going away for a while, but I'll be back on the 10th or 11th, and I might update that day or the next. See you all then!

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2015, 01:22:18 am »

The blue one creates an Earth wall in front of the door, the purple one has the sloths continue exploring.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Megggas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2015, 08:38:44 am »

Both squids hide until footsteps can no longer be heard
Due to Real Life reasons, I have to disappear for awhile.  Take me out of all games that I'm participating in.  Sorry.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2015, 11:39:17 pm »

The blue octopus leaves the pods and casts his earth magicks to reinforce the door before the golem gets there, no doubt a good idea, judging by the increasing loudness of the footsteps. Now is probably a good time to decide how magic works. How is success or failure determined? What do the octopus' stat points do?
The purple sloth keeps watching the sloths. They decide to go to the North East, and suddenly start moving real fast, for no discernible reason. They must be going twice the speed they were before! This time, though, the sloth's world doesn't do the weird dimension-breaking-turning-into-a-platformer-instead-of-2.5D-thing when it moves. Interesting.
The North East tunnel takes it into a small cave, inhabited by a... uh... thing? I mean, it's definitely not not a thing. There also seems to be a pile of shiny things behind it. Gems, maybe?

It sounds like that golem is just outside the door now. What do you do?

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2015, 11:48:44 pm »

Physical stat points add a flat bonus to all relevant rolls. Magical stat points increase spell power.

Edit: I thought this thread was in RTD for some reason. Posting to watch.

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
  • clouds are pretty :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2015, 11:52:06 pm »

Purple: Add to Blue's elemental magic, and prepare to reduce the golem's magical defenses!
Blue: Charge up some Wind magic, prepare to unleash it on the golem, but not before purple lowers it's defense!
Quote from: Empiricist
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2015, 10:51:05 am »

magic's exact laws depend in the user in question. in the case of the elemental squid, his power comes from within -mana bar.-
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2015, 11:03:56 am »

magic's exact laws depend in the user in question. in the case of the elemental squid, his power comes from within -mana bar.-
+1 and the purple octopus abilities have cooldowns.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2015, 10:26:20 pm »

The cooldowns are soft cooldowns—if the ability is used again before it cools down, it costs extra mana.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2015, 10:29:04 pm »

The cooldowns are soft cooldowns—if the ability is used again before it cools down, it costs extra mana.
No, no mana, the purple one doesn't have mana just ability cooldowns

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2015, 11:57:34 pm »

Oh, oops. I thought the purple one used magic.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2015, 01:21:14 am »

Oh, oops. I thought the purple one used magic.
No it does but I was thinking instead of mana, soul energy that recharges but a limited amount so maybe 100 but it gains 10 every turn which is different from my original idea I realize but I like this one better.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2015, 02:55:27 am »

blue one has mana bar

purple one has no mana bar, and has cooldowns instead.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2015, 06:58:18 pm »

The blue octopus obtains a mana bar! This is the power he draws on to spellcast. The mana bar has 2 base mana, +3 for the wielder's 3 levels in magic. It will regenerate during down time.
A cooldown indicator appears above the purple one's head! It must wait until this reaches 0 to cast spells. The three levels of stat magicks it possesses allows it to magic away or steal up to three levels of an opponent's stats, with cooldowns proportionate to the amount of stat points destroyed, or to steal a single stat point for two turns cooldown.

The octopi prepare for battle as the golem pounds on the door. The thick steel crumples beneath the onslaught, but the earthen barrier delays the golem a little longer, allowing the octopi to strike first! Assuming you wanted to attack with MAXIMUM POWER, the purple one makes 3 of the golem's only stat, strength, disappear. This octopus will be able to spell cast again in three turns.
The blue one summons a 2-mana blast of wind magic, which harms the golem! Speaking of, how do things get damaged and die? Plain ol' health points are pretty mainstream, so something else might be cool. Any ideas?

Meanwhile, the sloths (of which there are now 5) seem to be talking to the green thing about something of no doubt astonishing importance.
Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4